Beginner needs lighting help

phoneman49

420 Member
Hey all, trying to learn everything right now Got tent humidity, exhaust, etc. ok so far but I've doing lights now and still confused, read about all types and non except LED works for me. CFL maybe but really hot. Read so much about spectrum coverage, light cycles etc. Stuck on amount. Based everything on 50/80 watts sq foot. Have 3' x 2' x 4'6" tent, So 6 sq ft. 300W right? Had 450w led first, immediately realized why sun glasses. Have two NL auto and didn't realize grew so tall. Specs said height from canopy at different stages and doesn't work. growing into lights ya know. The coverage at height looked right when I read it but found they were smashed together. Can't be good. got a 600w and realized big mistake didn't make much difference. Sort of learning by mistake here. So thought two 300w could spread them apart and maybe tilt them in or whatever.
Then I talked to company and they said just add another 600W. Would be perfect for tent. 1200w!! ya know, never dreamed. Thought 600w twice as much. Read more light bigger plant then to much bleach leaves. Just looking in the flap hurts eyes. Probably they said just add one cause already had one installed. Never saw any formula per say except for base spec. Is there a rule of thumb or what. Don't want to get down the road and find out oh this would be much better, ya know. Assume 600w is adequate but don't want that. Want to do it right. Especially since I can return and replace still. So sorry to run on like this but feel like my head is going to explode. Even now two autos grew real nice till about 4 weeks and then just stopped . 10 weeks old now and except for about at the most inch a week and basicaly look same as 4 weeks. Both exactly the same. Maybe someone can look at them later before I toss them ya know. Have pics from start. Should be at least drying by now. Want to start new think maybe killed them. Whole first grow has just been a real disappointment. But first lights. Have germinated new seed.

So I pray ,anyone out there can help me out please.

Thanks ,Jim

A 450w led isn't really 450w

You need to know the watts at the wall

4'6" high isn't very tall with LED lights since you need them about 20" away from the plants

Slow down there hoss :rofl: can't understand exactly what it is you want o_O just the fax man :hmmmm:
What size tent do you currently have?
What size light/lights do you have? And what kind are they? LED? HID? CFL? Incandescent :laugh:?

Slow down there hoss :rofl: can't understand exactly what it is you want o_O just the fax man :hmmmm:
What size light/lights do you have? And what kind are they? LED? HID? CFL? Incandescent :laugh:?

LOL sorry, let all the frustration out at once. Tent 3'x2' x53" tall, Right now have, don't think supposed to say names, vips####ra 600w. Had cfl , first and had such a heat prob then read about all the different spectrums and went led. Read lots and right now thats where i'm at. 450w doesn't mean 450 watts just keeps getting more confused. Just trying to get right lighting right now Hey just figured out all those face things.

LOL sorry, let all the frustration out at once. Tent 3'x2' x53" tall, Right now have, don't think supposed to say names, vips####ra 600w. Had cfl , first and had such a heat prob then read about all the different spectrums and went led. Read lots and right now thats where i'm at. 450w doesn't mean 450 watts just keeps getting more confused. Just trying to get right lighting right now Hey just figured out all those face things.
:rofl: It's cool man, I remember how excited I was when I first started :drool:and yeah basically what Chris said^^^^...
Oh and BTW :welcome: to the forum and :goodluck:

:rofl: It's cool man, I remember how excited I was when I first started :drool:and yeah basically what Chris said^^^^...
Oh and BTW :welcome: to the forum and :goodluck:
Got mixed up there. Have 600w. Think I should stay with that size? Actually was going to go with two VT300w digital These are sorta neat, but different than others Uses a remote built in timer and dimmable and along with height specs you set different levels like seedling / young veg / brightness 40% bloom 60% and 30" from canopy with 12/12 Again different. Christ!!! Still don't understand why this one would be different ya know. LOL. Just gonna to start like others. 18/6 and about 10" from plant. Thought I could hang evenly , even tilt in for height issue. If you guys think that's ok. Really can't even adjust them without glasses. Really thanks a lot. Even saying to myself Just fu****g pick something

Well I used CFLs for a long time, with good results, but have never used LEDs. I now have a 1000w HPS for flower, and I've almost doubled my yield from the CFLs, and my new light was only $165 for the whole kit...so yeah, with the price of the LEDs, I'll stick with the HIDs :peace:

That's a another new one on me. I'll have to find that out
another question. Do you know about this. The first two lights I had were Vipa******tra 450w , then 600w. had schedual for veg / flower switch with veg on all the time
hi, again, wondering about problems with my nl auto and would I do that here or start another in different post area like growing section?

hi, again, wondering about problems with my nl auto and would I do that here or start another in different post area like growing section?
You have to go to frequently asked questions in the forum list and it has disease and pest problems posts :peace:

another question. Do you know about this. The first two lights I had were Vipa******tra 450w , then 600w. had schedual for veg / flower switch with veg on all the time
I don't use LEDs, but, I would imagine it's for full spectrum lighting purposes, and since veg is first (5000k to 6500k...brighter) and flower is last (2700k to 3200k dimmer) and you want more intense light for flower cuz it's the luminosity (brightness) that penetrates...just my 2 cents, cuz, like I said, I've never used them...to expensive for my liking...may try them when they come down in price, but till then.......HIDs baby!!!! :slide::yahoo:

EDIT: Not to mention my 1000w HPS has 140,000 lumens, to penetrate DEEP into the canopy...:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom