Big enough to sex?

budculture

I've got some plants in hydro DWC and since they were started with bagseed ( that I feminized) , I don't know how many males I have. Since it's a mini grow I don't want to waste time on males, so what I'm wondering is, are they large enough at 5-8 inches? They all have about 5-7 leaves sets and are branching out from the stem sites. Some are growing faster, which I suspect are the males . Can I just go to 12/12 without changing my nutes to flowering mix? Can I keep my bright white CFLs or do I need to change to soft white? I was planning on sexing them and then putting the girls back in veg.Do I need to go back to 24 on or 18/6? Some of them may become mothers to put back in veg indefinitely.
The plants are growing quickly and I need to cull out the guys to make room since I have more plants than space. An old habit from outdoor growing- growing way more seedlings than you need. It's just hard to get rid of your babies when you invest so much love!
Thanks for a great site!

started with bagseed ( that I feminized)-
I don't understand??

I would go 12/12 without nute change if you are gonna reveg. Someone may have a specific regiem for this I don't know.

The brights will work for what you want to do. On the Light time for re-veg, 18/6 is common and so is 20/4 I think.

Hope this helps :)

Feminized beans don't produce males. You can go 12/12 from seed but the revegging would be stressful. Depending on how you "feminized" those bagseed stress might be your worst enemy. If there is a hermy trait in the genetics stressing them will be the fastest way to make it show.
You don't "have" to switch spectrums to flower plants. Lot's of growers use MH or "bright white" floros for their entire grows with great results. I did it myself for 2 years with a 400watt MH. I had great harvests with super dense buds and super tight internodes. The bags looked small compared to HPS bags of the same weight but the densness more than made up for it. The trich formation was a lot more dense as well.
What light cycle to use is up to you. I use 20on/4off myself for vegetive growth. But 18/6 or 20/4 or 24/0 will work.
Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks Boss, great info. Sorry about the redundant questions Fat Joe, I guess I need to search the site more carefully for my answers. I have the Mel Thomas book and according to him, feminized seed using the BC pill method would give me maybe 75% female. From what I've read, there's no assurance of all female, just more. I'll post some photos soon so you guys can have a look. That was my thought Racefan, since I didn't want to spring for seed on my first grow, I used bagseed from what is known as "Kentucky outdoor" which is probably a hermie strain with my luck. I think that the stress can cause hermies too.
Thanks for all your help folks, and I guess I'll go ahead and sex just to see. If they're all girls, I'll have some nice starts to go outside somewhere. If they are all girls , then the BC pill method works very well indeed. One BC pill in 1 1/2 oz of water, soak overnight, then sprout in vermiculite in the solution. Thanks again for a great site!

Peace& Pedalshttps://www.420magazine.com/forums/images/smilies/peace.gif

lol Not the birth control thing again! Please NO! Human estrogen isn't going to help a plant become female anymore than drinking phosphorus will give a human big feet and long legs.lol
You can go ahead and try it, but personally I don't feel comfortable adding human hormones to my grows in any way. I don't want to have sore armpits from my breasts trying to grow nor do I want my wife to start growing a beard. Well...not anymore of a beard anyway.:cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah FatJoe , this is my first indoor grow, and my first grow in quite a while. I'll spring for some mail order seeds for the next one once I have a method down. I know they may not be great this time , but I 've been surprised before with some bagseed I grew outdoors that was truly great.
I agree ethically with you Racefan completely, but I thought I would try it once. I figured there were plenty of menopausal women out there adding extra estrogen to the environment, so one little pill shouldn't hurt too much. That being said, I'm not doing it again. I may try the banana peel method instead (?!!). Both methods are described in the Mel Thomas book.
Once I take some lower res pics I'll post to show how it's going so far.
Thanks for the great info...https://www.420magazine.com/community/styles/420style/smilies/rasta.gif

" peace is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice"

Back
Top Bottom