Bonsai light requirements: strictly decorative

Does anyone know how much light a little bonsai cannabis, a bonnabis will require? We are trying to spruce up the office with a terrarium.

Not too much. A few little led screw in bulbs, fluorescent light or CFLs would do the trick. I'd say could do it under 50 watts with these new LEDs.

Hardest part will be keeping it small to be honest. Like a pet alligator. Like the idea though. Here is my bonsai bud. Don't mind the major deficiency. I am neglecting this plant as it let me down.

20200306_073510.jpg

To keep alive, almost none. Example: I kept three tiny cannabis plants in Solo cups alive for a little over a year by sticking them on top of the medicine cabinet in a windowless bathroom, illuminated only by a couple of low-wattage CFL bulbs in the wall fixture directly above. But if you want them to be happy and healthy - even if small - I'd recommend 30 watts per square foot of CFL or LED bulbs. Or a small "white light" LED grow light panel, like this one by Mars Hydro:

That's a 90-watt panel. and might be fine for a 1.5' x 1.5' open area, maybe slightly larger as you're not trying to peoduce (that's a wild guess). It's $75.99, delivered to a USA address, and using the forum's discount code (420magazine) will knock a few bucks off. They also sell a 150-watt version that is adjustable (wattage), but it's $139.99 delivered (again, before forum member discount), which might be more than your office air-quality / employee morale / decoration budget, and might work for a larger garden space than you are envisioning, IDK. The light these things produce isn't some kind of obnoxious purple hue, so it'll help contribute to the brightness in your office instead of needing to be hidden away. Quality seems decent enough, and you shouldn't need to keep them real close to the top of the plant in order to keep the plant from stretching overmuch. (Note that this doesn't imply that you can mount it on the ceiling, lol.)

Pepper plants make great "bonsai" (that term appears to have a somewhat rigid definition, used correctly, which is why I placed it within quotation marks) specimens. It doesn't take long at all, either - a year or two-year old pepper plant, properly trained, can at first glance look a lot like a 50-year old bonsai tree if you want it to. And... peppers! ;)

View media item 298368
View media item 298367
A small, relatively inexpensive LED grow light panel might allow you to grow and display both types of plants. Just a thought. . . .

Back
Top Bottom