Boy Dreamer Becomes Pot Activist

T

The420Guy

Phillip Mol Founded Medical Marijuana Dispensary In Hayward

HAYWARD -- When Phillip Mol was a boy, he dreamed of becoming a physicist
or an astronomer, not an advocate for patients of medical marijuana.

"I never thought I would be the guy trying to change things," said Mol, who
founded the Helping Hands Patients' Center, a downtown cannabis dispensary.

But after he overcame heroin addiction -- on top of severe manic-depression
- -- Mol's career goals took on a higher calling, he said.

Mol, 41, is a leader in the local effort to legalize Hayward's three
downtown dispensaries under city code. His business, opened in October
2001, is aimed at offering cannabis patients an efficient, comfortable
setting, with some of the lowest prices in the Bay Area, he said.

"Some people do it just for the patients," said Jane Weirick, a Hayward
resident and president of the Medical Cannabis Association. "Phil is a
terrific example of this."

But Mol's broader mission, one he calls "Green and Sober," is to help
spread the word about the use of pot to treat the addiction of harder drugs.

"Pot saved my life. It's saving others' lives," he said.

Pot is by no means a cure for drug and alcohol addiction, and is hardly an
ideal solution, Mol said. But for those who continually fail attempts to
clean up through abstinence, a cannabis-only regime can be life-changing,
he said, as it was for him.

"It gets you out of the endless cycle of drug addiction," he said.

Mol, who grew up in Southern California, said he turned to drugs at an
early age as a way of coping with his abusive, now-estranged father.
Without a high school diploma, he joined the Navy in 1979, studied physics
and graduated with honors from the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program in
Orlando, Fla.

The Navy diagnosed him with bipolar disorder, although Mol said he denied
it for years and used drugs to cope. He was discharged in 1983 and
eventually worked as a physics technician at Stanford Linear Accelerator
Center until a mass walkout in opposition to weapons research.

In the mid-1980s, he returned to the Riverside area and worked in the
private sector, doing land survey maps used by civil engineers and urban
planners, among other things.

In 1992, through participation in Alcoholics Anonymous, he stopped using
drugs for two years.

"I was sober, but I was not treated," he said. "All of a sudden, it all
fell apart."

Mol later was arrested in San Francisco for possession of heroin and was
able to convince a judge and a probation officer to let him enter a program
in which he would be given methadone as a way of getting off the heroin.

Mol said he also underwent therapy and used pot; the routine urine tests at
the methadone clinic didn't screen for cannabis, he said.

"In 14 years of 12-step attendance, I had two years of clean time," he
said. "During eight years of Green and Sober living, I have had eight years
of staying off hard drugs, IV drug use and alcohol abuse."

In addition to helping Mol with the addiction, the pot helped him keep down
his regular pharmaceutical drugs used to treat his bipolar disorder.

"Before I was able to stabilize my life on this regime, I was often
suicidal, often barely employable, and a shut-in who hid in his trailer for
days on end," he said.

Weirick said Mol's ideas about treating addiction with pot are becoming
more accepted, although they're not mainstream.

"Anything that helps people get off hard drugs is a good thing," she said.

Mol, who lives in Oakland with his wife of 11 years, came to Hayward as a
patient of the first dispensary, the Hayward Hempery, then owned by Bob
Wilson, one of the region's medical marijuana pioneers.

Upset with the Hempery's new ownership, Mol decided to give patients
another choice by opening his own dispensary. Despite the later opening of
a third dispensary, his patient base has grown to about 50 customers a day.

Mol said he's not making any money, lives in "a security fortress," has had
to give up privacy, works countless hours, and lives with the constant fear
that "any time, the knock (of federal officials) could come on the door."

Marijuana is considered illegal under federal law, although the passage of
Proposition 215 made it legal for medicinal uses in California.

But what makes it all worthwhile, Mol said, is patients like a woman with
cancer from San Jose, or the man with a thrashing disorder, who can
function in society because of the pot.

Pubdate: Wed, 16 Apr 2003
Source: Tri-Valley Herald (CA)
Copyright: 2003 MediaNews Group, Inc. and ANG Newspapers

Mr. Mol here. It was good to do our part. But also MMJ became a monster that eats its own young. In time running our own dispensary became untenable. The stress was maddening. It almost destroyed my most important relationship, that is the one with my wife. Our own partners and employees were ripping us off. Some for many tens of thousands of dollars. I could name names(and in a few cases I will) but that would be telling, they know who they are. We got out and are so glad to have done so. The MMJ movement has been slowly destroyed because its proponents just could not get organized and keep greed, instead of helping the sick, from becoming its central theme. Far too many young people with doctors recommendations for "stress" became the norm for authorized patients. Anyone in their 20's doesn't even KNOW what stress is, unless they are truly fighting a life threatening illness. My wife is fond of saying that until you are at least in your 40's, have lost a few marriages, facing a pink slip at your job, sick with life's worst afflictions, and are hip deep in children you know nothing of stress. If it wasn't for my strong belief in cannabis as a good substance for harm reduction I would say these recommendations are totally bogus. But even in the case of young people who are perfectly able bodied and of sound mind it is better that they have access to good quality controlled cannabis rather than harder street drugs. On the other hand it does a dispensary no good to have a steady stream of perfectly healthy looking young people streaming in and out of its doors. There are people watching this and taking note. I hold in much part Jeff Jones and the OCBC responsible for this evolution. As the movements third party verifier of choice for the California movement his organization has looked the other way as a small core group of predatory doctors motivated by greed have issued the majority of these questionable doctors recommendations. Shame on them. The results have been very predictable. My wife and I reached a point where our involvement in MMJ just about ruined our lives. People who we thought were our backers and even best friends jumped on this opportunity to steal from us and take for their selves anything of value in our shop and our home. One even killed one of our most treasured and loved family cats with his own two hands, not to mention stealing over $100K in product and personal/shop equipment, cash, and what ever else he could get his hands on. This time I will name names, watch out for Anthony "Tony" Spengler, he is a grower and a sociopath who has even turned on his own wife and children. Unfortunately MMJ has attracted all sorts of bottom feeders, some of which even have licenses to practice medicine.

So we got out when the getting is good. Damn good thing too. Today many years later we have a much more stable life. We are no longer involved in cannabis or MMJ. I am coming up on two years from detoxing off methad*ne. We our out of the area, and are doing very well without the movement. I am still a proponent of harm reduction, but rarely use cannabis myself anymore. I am just past that part of my life. After all isn't the goal of any sort of harm reduction approach the eventual point of being drug free, of all drug use? We have kept an eye on MMJ and our "friends" in the movement from afar. It has not been pretty. Most everyone we knew has fallen on hard times. Some are dead, let them rest in peace. Some are in hiding from the law after being busted or shut down. Some are struggling under an ever more repressive and continually more hostile local government attitude toward MMJ. Some have been raided by the DEA and have had literally millions of dollars in money and assets seized and are now under indictment. They are reaping what they sow. One of the reasons we were able to bow out of the movement, no matter how ungracefully, was because we purposely did not operate under a principle of profiteering, much to the consternation of our partners. We may have sold millions of dollars of cannabis, I would hope to mostly truly sick people who needed it, but we never operated at a profit. We would return what ever positive cash flow we created to our most needy patients in the form of free medical cannabis, never allowing more than a few thousand dollars to accumulate in our coffers. Because of this we were always a small fish and never really in the cross-hairs of the DEA. We never agreed at all with the many we met in the movement who tried to tell us it is perfectly OK to make lots of money on the backs of sick people. They now are reaping what they have sown.

So in closing I hope the MMJ movement can free itself from the influence of greed upon its machinations. That it can truly return to its basic foundation of changing our drug law system so that those who suffer from life threatening conditions can enjoy medical cannabis to help relieve that suffering. And that the movement can be returned to the hands of true believers such as us that put the needs of patients ahead of greed and self interest. Again it was good to have an opportunity to do our part to help this movement grow and influence change.

Good night and good luck,

Mr. Mol

Dispensaries are NOT pharmacies! Medical cannabis RECOMMENDATIONS are NOT prescriptions. Young people's coping with stress is NOT a sufficient health reason to take advantage of medicinal cannabis. Talk about being out of touch.

May I also say this. I a glad to see my "slightly critical" message about MMJ was even posted here. It says much for this site and shows that it supports critical debate, and not just one sided promotion of ideas regarding cannabis in general. I must also wonder why my more important ideas about MMJ such as the motivation of greed in the movement were not addressed by "User"? When I was running a dispensary I made a point of selling MMJ to patients at up to 50% below market prices. This was good for the industry as a whole as it forced others to lower prices to compete. I close with this idea, and one I hope is debated on this site. Want to end the war on drug tomorrow? Sell ALL drugs of use/abuse in a government store for penny a pound and render them WORTHLESS!!!! Just think of the ramifications of that idea and sit a spell, give it a good thinking over would you? Remove all the profit opportunities from such products and see what happens then!

Thank you for listening,

Mr. Mol

Dispensaries are NOT pharmacies! Medical cannabis RECOMMENDATIONS are NOT prescriptions. Young people's coping with stress is NOT a sufficient health reason to take advantage of medicinal cannabis. Talk about being out of touch.

i agree, dispensaries are not pharmacies. my point was being able to judge someones health conditions going on nothing more than outward appearance.

some people and doctors abuse the system out of greed. the same can be said for the regular medical community.

for some younger people i would say stress is enough.

as for being out of touch, i'm 54 yrs old. so i'm the wrong one to explain what the stresses of being young are today. hopefully someone younger might jump in to help us understand. but i know the stresses i was under at a young age. i was repeatedly molested as a pre-teen. meaning repeatedly raped by two men under threat of death if i ever told. not just my death but my parents. i looked fine on the outside. i'm a vietnam era vet and i came home at 19 all screwed up. i looked very young for my age with no outward appearance of the mess i was inside. lots of vets who look young are coming home now.

May I also say this. I a glad to see my "slightly critical" message about MMJ was even posted here. It says much for this site and shows that it supports critical debate, and not just one sided promotion of ideas regarding cannabis in general. I must also wonder why my more important ideas about MMJ such as the motivation of greed in the movement were not addressed by "User"? When I was running a dispensary I made a point of selling MMJ to patients at up to 50% below market prices. This was good for the industry as a whole as it forced others to lower prices to compete. I close with this idea, and one I hope is debated on this site. Want to end the war on drug tomorrow? Sell ALL drugs of use/abuse in a government store for penny a pound and render them WORTHLESS!!!! Just think of the ramifications of that idea and sit a spell, give it a good thinking over would you? Remove all the profit opportunities from such products and see what happens then!

Thank you for listening,

Mr. Mol

we welcome debate. far to often its not debate/discussion but rants. i will admit to being a bit one sided in my thinking but i'm not afraid of other ideas.

the reason i didn't address the other issues is because i pretty much agreed with you. i guess i could have mentioned thah huh.... oops.

i don't disagree with the government store idea either. i'm not saying i'm for it, but at this point in time i won't argue against it. the drug war is a complete failure. marijuana should not be illegal in the first place.

"Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship. To restrict the art of healing to one class of men and deny equal privileges to others will constitute the Bastille of medical science. All such laws are un-American and despotic, and have no place in a republic. The Constitution of this Republic should make special provisions for medical freedom as well as religious freedom." - Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of Declaration of Independence; member, Continental Congress; B.S. Princeton.

welcome to the site. i would bet we agree on more than you think. i don't know if i'd wanna debate you to much, your pretty well spoken and would be a tough debater.

Mr. Mol, I agree with everything you've said except for this:

Anyone in their 20's doesn't even KNOW what stress is, unless they are truly fighting a life threatening illness. My wife is fond of saying that until you are at least in your 40's, have lost a few marriages, facing a pink slip at your job, sick with life's worst afflictions, and are hip deep in children you know nothing of stress.

Many young people have had to face some unspeakably horrible times in their lives. There are some children who have witnessed horrors that even the most stable adults couldn't handle. These experiences can haunt an indivual for the rest of their life. And what about young people and children facing the death of family and friends? My good friend's father died when we were 14 years old. The same has happened to countless others; some even lose both parents. Those individuals don't know stress? It's also especially terrible when it's someone in their age group passes away. I'm still young, and I've seen my share of friends meet untimely ends. When I was 13, a friend of mine who lived down the street from me died in his sleep. To this day I don't know the reason for his death. Two of my friends died in a terrible car accident three years ago. The next year, another boy I went to school with drowned swimming in a creek in my area. Two people I went to school with were brutally murdered (one within a month ago).Those are some pretty good examples of stress in younger individuals.

And remember, sir, just because one looks well on the outside doesn't always mean they're completely healthy. What about mental illnesses? There are lots of mental illnesses that can be alleviated by the use of marijuana. Admittedly, it doesn't work for all people, but it does for many, such as myself. I am in my early twenties, but was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder when I was only twelve years old. There is a reason, but I really don't like to talk about it; there hasn't been mention of it for years. Since then, I've been put on several different types of antidepressants and sedatives, many with disastrous effects, and I appear to be healthy. Currently, I only take one type of antidepressant every day and one type of sedative when needed (the least amount of presciptions I've been on since I was first diagnosed), and combined with cannabis, I can live my life comfortably. I'm not a registered medical patient, but all that matters to me is that I can obtain and use cannabis in a safe environment without worry, and I can.

I really don't mean any disrespect towards you at all, Mr. Mol. I just wanted to show you that there are young people who do experience stress and have as much right as anyone else to use medical cannabis if it benefits them and they choose to, and that just because someone appears to be healthy on the outside doesn't mean they're in perfect health. Thank you, sir.

I would just like to add that I am a young person who would appear to be in perfect health by my outward appearance, but thanks to not having universal health care that is not exactly the case. I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder I can't afford to have fixed (20,000), I have a torn ligament in my knee same deal ($40,000), I have stretched my achilles' tendon multiple times to the point where I become debilitated and am not able to walk, I am a member of a clinic which will give me handfuls of pain pills whenever I would like, but these drugs leave me dazed and don't help as much as MMJ does anyway. Again, my point being, if I was to walk into your club you could assume I was just abusing the system but that is not the case, I suffer from pain constantly.:peace:

From Mr. Mol,

Actually I have no problem with young people having recommendations for cannabis for "stress", if not only from what I call the "harm reduction" aspect. We all cope with stress in different ways. I do not think it is the state that should decide if you want to make the choice to cope with stress by using cannabis. But that is the world we live in. I have seen many dispensaries go down because of the appearance of people using them that on the surface look perfectly healthy, being young does not help this appearance either. Those are the facts on the ground. When fighting the state for rights that never should have been withheld in the first place sometimes appearances can be everything. I strongly believe we can learn a lesson from Dr. Martin Luther King on this. Against brutal oppression his people made sure to stay non violent and dress well to look better than their oppressors. I also saw many an anti drug war protest in San Francisco where everyone looked like freaks and were marching down the streets all smoking pot. Sure it was good to celebrate freedom in this way but it was celebrating a freedom that was yet to be fully won. I wonder what the results would be if medicinal cannabis rights were once again put on the ballot after such demonstrations. I assure you this, the opponents to medicinal cannabis would use video of such demonstrations in their fight against such an initiative. Just as the christian right uses footage against the gay rights movement of some of the crazier stuff going down at a pride parade when they are working against gay marriage initiatives. We should learn from those who have succeeded in winning real change before us. As for cannabis working as a pain reliever this is simple a placebo effect at work. In fact cannabis can increase inflammation and cause not reduce pain. Especially low grade shwag. Ever get a pot headache? That is what I am talking about. Cannabis on the other hand has a strong synergistic effect when used with other pain killers. This is when it is most effective against pain. When used for stress it works like anything else, if it relaxes you then it works. This is what I mean by harm reduction. We are far better as a people using cannabis for stress in this way for stress than other more dangerous drugs. Alcohol is the first one that comes to mind but people who use hero*n or other hard drugs often are only trying to relieve stress. Society as a whole would benefit and lives would be saved if cannabis was available for this. But it still creates initially in the MOVEMENT an appearance problem. This is not my judgment, it is the judgment of our enemies, who if you have not noticed have ruled the roost for many years. So do not discount this effect. Do not attack me for their prejudices, I am only the messenger. I have had many years of experience in trying to change our drug laws and we as movement have had only limited success, success that has back slid much during the current administration. We need to clean up our act. Also is cannabis the ideal treatment for stress? I think not. How about exercise, how about sex, how about reading a good book or watching a movie? These are the arguments our opposition will use against us. That is why we must take these things into consideration. I took a long 8 year break from a very good career in engineering to forward the cause of medical cannabis and drug reform. I have worked as a care giver for many a very sick patient. I have spent my time and paid my dues. Heed my words well. Really THINK about what I have to say. I am on your side, but we must get/keep our shit together if we are ever going to succeed, and sometime appearances matter, they matter very much! If pot users act and look like losers then they will continue to loose this fight. These days I live in the American Midwest and I ASSURE you we have a LONG way to go if we are ever going to change peoples minds and win this fight.

Do not attack me for their prejudices, I am only the messenger
i haven't seen any attacks. disagreement is not an attack.

We need to clean up our act
i agree. we've discussed these issues before but its been quite awhile. i thank you for bringing them up.

mmj patients need to go strictly by the guidelines. non patients/fakers need to get their pot the old fashioned way. patients must not grow more than what is legal and not sell it unless to a legit patient and according to guidelines. recreational smokers need to respect the medical movement. the greedy dispensary owners and doctors who care nothing about the movement and are only in it for the money should be outed and not supported by patients. there are many who's health is depending on it.

i also live in the midwest (but i'm moving back to cali asap). i fully understand what your saying about the mindsets of people here. and in some ways i agree with your points about appearance. but it bothers me that there is a need to appease bigots (not calling you one). my hair is long, i have a beard, i often wear tie dye.

it might be helpful if you defined what a loser is.

regarless of any disagreements i appreciate all you have done for the mmj movement and want you to know you are welcome here. i'm sure there is much we can learn from your experiences. you provoke thought and that is a very good thing.

"Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It's gettin kinda long
I could have said it was in my way
But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
Cause I feel like I owe it to someone

Must be because I had the flu' for Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like looking in my (rear-view) mirror and seeing a police car
But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone

When I finally get myself together
I'm going to get down in that sunny southern weather
And I find a place inside a laugh
Separate the wheat from the chaff
I feel like I owe it to someone"
- David Crosby

Mr. Mol here,

Thank you for your kind comments. As for what a loser is, I can use my own experience. For many years I did not accomplish or contribute much of anything good to our society. I was a wasted junky, an employed one sometimes, but still just a pain in the arse. But harm reduction changed all that. First I got off junk and got on methadone(been off that now for two years, never going back). I used cannabis as my harm reduction outlet so I could stay off all hard drugs and alcohol. Then I got involved in helping other people. First by joining an organization that started needle exchanges in the east bay. While involved in that I talked to other junkies about the idea of harm reduction and changed some minds. Then of all people my doctor at the methadone clinic gave me my first cannabis recommendation. That is when I got involved in the the MMJ movement. I began working as a caregiver helping out other very sick patients. This led eventually to us being in the position to open our own dispensary. We did this exclusively because other dispensaries in the area were charging the same prices for cannabis as black market drug dealers. I thought this was wrong so we strove to change this. I am very proud that for two years we provided a place where people could get their medicine at a decent price and in time our success drove other dispensaries to in turn lower their prices. Unfortunately it was impossible to compete with as a not for profit dispensary against for profit dispensaries. In a way it was very good that we failed as all of those that went on in our community(Hayward CA) have fallen on very hard times. We did our part and got out without too many repercussions. I sure can relate to living in the Midwest. I live in a very small town full of rigid thinking and narrow minds. I learned very fast to be careful who I talked to about my ideas or my past. I think this is just wrong in America but it is what it is. I have returned to my engineering work. I am fortunate to have a very special skill set that is sorely needed here. If not the Rush Limbaugh listing arse holes I work with would not tolerate me at all. I am a white collar pot smoker. I truly believe it saved my life, got me away from being a junky and off all sorts of horrible pysch meds. Nothing calms a manic mind faster than a couple of good puffs of some sticky green. But here I have to be very careful about even talking to my doctor about such things. But I still spread the word where ever I can. Life is good where we are none the less. Sure I might look like a square on the outside but I am full bore radical on the inside. It's fun to occasionally ask a local "So how is that Bush thing working out for you?, still have your job at the plant?" Things will change here but it will take very different tactics than it did in Cali. I also have continued my care giving work. I have patients I provide medicine(cannabis) to for free. One suffers from epilepsy, a second from psych disorders. It helps relieve their suffering and that is all that matters to me. One of the nice things about running a cannabis dispensary for a couple of years is that you keep in touch with lots of your old contacts and have near infinite resources for the acquiring of bud. :) But I sure do miss Cali. Grew up down south, and lived many years in the Bay Area. No place quite like it on earth.

Cheers,

Molman

its really great to hear you beat the battle against the hard drugs. i've seen so many people die or turned into walking dead. i was fortunate not to ever get caught up in hard drugs. just luck, i ain't the brightest bulb sometimes.

i've often thought that if growers could just grow a bit extra and give it to someone who was ill what a great thing it would be. in a mmj tolerant states it would be good pr for the movement. i've also fanticized about an underground patient supply network getting free or cheap medicine to the ill.

as i contemplate moving back to california i am excited that i will be able to become more open and active. as a disabled person there are many hardships involved in finding a landlord who will rent to the disabled. then if you want to grow your own meds its even harder to find that special landlord. i've checked a little bit about patient support networks that aid patients in those sorts of problems but it seems there aren't any. i'm very interested in starting or helping to start some sort of network when i return to cali. doing things to help others is a very good way of helping ones self.

like you i firmly believe that marijuana has saved my life.

Back
Top Bottom