Bud Growth Problem

I'm not sure what that means. FYI...
"Bloom. is a low nitrogen, high phosphorus concentrate containing all 6 essential macronutrients and all 10 essential micronutrients that every plant needs. Bloom. 3-12-6 is specifically formulated to encourage the development of large, vibrant blooms. It is ideal for roses, orchids, African violets and all other flowering plants. Bloom. 3-12-6 supplies a balance of low ammoniniacal to nitrate nitrogen needed to avoid stem elongation in flowing plants and vegetables. Apply Bloom. 3-12-6 before flower buds appear to help initiate flowering."

So here we are at Day 41. I have gone to a 20/4 cycle just to see. Had 2 rounds of Dyna-Gro Bloom. Next watering will be just plain H2O. Color is good. Smell is good. Starting to get frosty leaves around the buds. Question: time to remove some lower fan leaves?
420-magazine-mobile1954454688.jpg
420-magazine-mobile361495189.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1361097647.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1263164358.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1487559392.jpg

That would be optional your plants don't have a whole lot of big families that get in the way plus all your leaves are in good shape you don't have any yellow

It's funny how you just want to do something to feel like you are actually ... you know, doing something. Sometimes the hardest thing, and yet the wisest, is just to back the hell off and let nature do its thing.

So here I am at Day 48 and some of the buds are starting to show color in the pistil threads. This is god news and bad news I guess. Good in that I am getting closer to harvest. Bad in that the buds are still not very developed. There are lots of really small buds that seem to not be developing much. Overall the plants look quite healthy. Still trying to show patience. I am going out of town for 5 days starting tomorrow. They'll get a good plain watering before I go and we'll see when I get back. Thoughts are welcome.
420-magazine-mobile1887339513.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1473038453.jpg
420-magazine-mobile536419637.jpg

Well even if you don't win bud of the month, it looks like you are going to have a good harvest. It will be interesting to see what happens while you're away. I would be curious to hear what the experts might have to say. I have read that really high light levels are necessary for big dense buds. Do you think that's an issue?

Yeah, I think that is exactly it. I had enough light for a good vegetative phase but not enough for a good flowering is my guess. Since I never moved into the tent, I don't think the CFLs were strong enough or even perhaps close enough. So I learned. I have everything for the tent ready to go for the next time so I will just add a good light and maybe change stains to see if we can improve on the bud production. In the mean time, I have like 10 days left or so and we will see what happens. I have also been reading about using the sugar leafs to produce butter to that should help yield.

After reading your post, I took the 850 lumen bulb in my desk lamp and added that to the motley mix of bulbs I have lighting my little Dwarf Low Flyer, taking the total lumens up to about 10,000. My $15 light meter shows that everywhere on the plant is getting close to 50,000 lux, the equivalent of a sunny day 24 hours a day. It seems like these guys can take a lot light as long as they don't get overheated and have enough to eat and drink.

I think that later tonight I am going to trim way some of the big fan leaves in hopes of driving more light and nutrients to the remaining buds for this last week or so. Don't think that it can hurt anything.

I think that later tonight I am going to trim way some of the big fan leaves in hopes of driving more light and nutrients to the remaining buds for this last week or so. Don't think that it can hurt anything.

...except a healthy fan leaf is a major part of the photosynthetic machinery. I know expert growers do it all the time, but defoliating make me nervous. It feels like plucking workers off the assembly line. (But then my stunted little plant needs all the help it can get.)

Yeah, I talked my way out of it after more thought. Going to just ride this out until harvest and chalk these things up to lessons learned.

Back
Top Bottom