Build your own cfl ballast son, THE TUTORIAL

jaja2

okay okay okay i know, we are all excited to have someone share this info with us.

what I am about to tell you will blow your mind, quite possibly

anywho, this tech. can be used with wood or metal or other material if wished, here though I will show you all a nice idea for plastic

For this you will need:
a plastic lid, better if off an old plastic bin or tote with a rectangular shape (somewhat thick plastic is advised for this project)
a few surge protectors/powerstrips (grounded please)
plastic zip ties (lots)
possibly an extension cord
plug to light fixture adapters used for cfls or incandesants, we use cfls though because it will grow with cfls and cfls kick ass (y adapters and single adapters)
a lightpiece/lighter (ya I know real stoners say lightpiece)
screwdriver ( no heavy lifting or labor peeps i swear)

okay so i KNow i havent said much but wait there's more

Take the lid. Now make holes in it. the holes will be as follows. you can make them with using a lighter and a screwdriver. Heat the tip of the screwdriver for a few seconds until it can go through plastic like butter. ya we know what's up, ooooo to the motherfucking yeah we do

(BE OUTSIDE OR IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA FOR SAFETY)

k so the holes with a perimeter of the lid:

-------------------------------------------------
l 0 0 l
l 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 l
l l
l l
l 0 0 0 0 0 0 l l l
l 0 0 l
l 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 l
------------------------------------------------

Please don't be confuzzled. the three innermost sets of 2 2 n 2 holes are for the powerstrips. Let me finish before I say any alterations. In this model we have three powerstrips k? We use one on the top and zip tie that bad boy to it. You cdan use multiple zip ties on a set of two holes. The end tails that might look ugly or get in the way can be cut off once the rest is secured and taut/tight. Now the other two power strips go on the opposite side facing the same way so their cords are close and don't get in the way of other stuff. These other two powerstrips also get secured. Now you're probalby like "but what are these other eight holes in the corners for?" These are so you can hang this bitch. You do wanna hang it right??????? jk I'm only joshing

You can get some steel cord for cheap at a hardware store. like 50 or 60 cents a foot. for your setup it might be more expensive but all you really need are 4 cords with 4 or 5 feet on each of them (pending your steup and spacial issues. make sure to get some 60 or 70 lbs test cord so you are safe and don't lean or put any more weight on this bitch ever than just lights cuz this b isn't no bench

connect the two lower strips cords to the one sitting on top and then put cfls in the adapters and put the adapters in the two lower powerstrips

what you can do to with any extra zip ties is make a connection that will hold in the four corners of your new ballast becuz you wanna hang this bitch because remember as I will someday say to my son "the only bitch you ever need to hang in life is your ballast"
so slide the cord through the two holes (one cord per set of holes/corner)
wrap it around and around itself after you have slid it through and then use at least 5 to 8 zip ties to really make it taut and secure (more if necessary) (other methods can be used to secure this with caulk or other

have an extension cord that is connected to your top powerstrip be connected to a grounded timer so you just need to either put the timer on or reset the timer to start 12/12 when the time is right.

on a final note you can make these ballasts out of wood if you want to but making holes isn't really a biggiein plastic
2. you can add more patterns of lower powerstrips if you have a big enough lid( i thought about making a gigantic one with a lid off a bigass tote and have like 4 or 5 power strips on one.)
3. if you don't want to make number two then you can make another one and have the top powerstip be connected to the top powerstrip on the other one since it will be hanging right next to it.

well that's all folks I hope this helps the world and everything said and done this doesn't cost too much or take a ton of time

costs:
4 y adapters and 4 reg. adapters (both for cfl connection) 15 or 20 bucks
3 powerstrips 10 or 12 bucks I'm guessing
lid (find it at home save moola) couple bucks at walmart or big shit chain take you pick
cfls usually pretty cheap try to use at least the 23 or 27 watt ones that are equivalent to 100 watts incandesant.
zip ties not expensive
steel cord,braided, 10 or 12 bucks
Building your own ballast and thinking that you're some kind of electrical engineer/genius ........PRICELESS

okay the holes look like shit now that I posted it well fuck it I'll tell you how to do it myself

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0

got lazy and tried to do same holes/pattern but without a border for the lid

fuck these holes i will tell you and yes roseman i know i need pics but i have no camera and i think i can explain the holes well enough give me a second or two

I also hope that someone makes this to show a pic. No camera makes me almost as sad as the holes that keep moving after i post them anywho

the holes are as follows( i hope everyone out there can listen well)

two holes like half an inch or an inch apart at each of the four corners
9 sets of two holes 3 sets make up one powerstrip and you have three of these patterns across the lid---> one hole then another 1.5 inches or 2 inches away for one set of holes then you do the other two sets below that one with a separation of 2.5 or 3 inches and then you make the final set of holes at the bottom for that ONE powerstrip then you move on to make the next 6 holes for the next powerstrip , this one will be a few inches apart from the first 6 holes, remembering what I said about the separation when describing the layout for the first one, guess what this is the same layout and so will the next one for a three powerstrip ballast with one of the 3 powerstrips being on top

btw the first separation i mentioned above is the separation used between one set of holes going horizontally across the fat side of the lid and the second separation is the vertical distance between two sets of holes i hope this helps and i will probably try to use/get paint or try to upload pics somehow

any q's?

people don't look at the zeros/drawings btw they were rearranged in the process of posting and should be considered bunk USE THE TYPED INSTRUCTIONS IN RECENT POST AS THESE WILL PROBABLY BE EASY TO UNDERSTAND

ok ok i will try my hardest to get some pics in a reasonable time. sorry about the confusion , please don't be so quick to unsubscribe. Just check back later if you are super confuzzled right now.

If I cant get actual pics up and running then I will use paint on another comp. and be able to show the visual learners everything.

Sorry about the confusion, I most definitely will be finishing this with pics or pics of paint

paint.jpg

lets not think about the holes in the corners k? those eight holes are for hanging the ballast. What we will look at is the second picture's 18 holes in the middle. I hope people see that each 6 holes are for one ballast and that you have the bottom two p.strips(the ones that will be holding the adapters and cfls) on the sides. the one on top is used to connect the other two to a power source like an extension cord. I hope this helps and if not, then I'm sorry. I love this thing and it works well. the main thing to know about this project is that it wont take that long to build, everything is cheap and readily available, and the specs are pretty easy once you see pictures if you didn't formulate any in your head.

I hope this clears up confusion.

one sec peeps I know this might be a confusing piece of a tutorial especially not with grade A pics but I will try again to explain this info and I hope someone will someday ask me a question instead of just saying they're confused. I can help people. Just ask a question. I will also try to put up not so sloppy pics be patient this is a cool tutorial in my eyes

So basically this is just 2 powerstrips that you use for adapters for lights ?

If so, I think your throwing people off by calling it a ballast.

okay okay so I made more pics to hopefully show what this is and to have less or no confusion

one note for this pic --->I screwed up when I closed the tab and couldn't reload my paint pic for edit after I uploaded it to 420mag so the lowest right part is a lil sloppy missing but people should get the basic idea by looking at the left side so without further ado

paint_5_.jpg

the regular adapters and y adapters have both been used in many different cfl grows on this site and others so you might know what I am talking about. These are cheap like 2 or 3 bucks each. The regular adapters are what you plug into the powerstrips before turning a y adapter into the regular adapter so you have two light outlets.

the last pic also doesnt show this because I think it is clear but even though you don't see the other adapters and cfls in the background they are there---- I hope people don't make this and only use 2 cfls per powerstrip because you easily can have 6 cfls on one powerstrip and 6 on another for this design

the other design I was talking about was to enlarge this and use a giant lid so that you can have 4 or 5 powerstrips on the bottom and have like 40 cfls on your plants.

Back
Top Bottom