CA Pot Cards are Back!

Pinch

State issued Medical Pot Cards are back and will be available state-wide August 1. This is the only card the CHPs will accept.

That's it. That's all.. :goof:

How can I go about getting one Mr. Pinch?

Here's the press release from the CDHS explaining the program. Available stae-wide on Aug 1/05. Will get more info when available. I believe they'll be issued by counties. Remember, this is the only one the CHP will accept.

NUMBER: 05-39 DATE: July 18, 2005
FOR RELEASE: IMMEDIATE CONTACT: Ken August
https://www.dhs.ca.gov or Lea Brooks
(916) 440-7660

CALIFORNIA RESUMES MEDICAL MARIJUANA ID CARD PROGRAM

SACRAMENTO — California has re-started its Medical Marijuana ID Card program, State Health Director Sandra Shewry announced today. After receiving legal advice from the State Attorney General that said that operating the pilot program would not aid and abet marijuana users in committing a federal crime, Shewry today directed staff of the California Department of Health Services (CDHS) to resume operations that were suspended on July 8.

"The State Attorney General has reviewed this concern and said that California can issue ID cards to medical marijuana users without state employees facing prosecution for assisting in the commission of a federal crime," Shewry said. "Today the state resumed operating the Medical Marijuana ID Card program."

The State Attorney General also said that information received from applicants for medical marijuana ID cards may be obtained by federal officials to identify them for prosecution. In response, CDHS will be modifying the ID card application to inform applicants that possession of marijuana remains a federal crime and information provided by them could be used for federal prosecution, Shewry said. In addition, CDHS will ask the three counties that have issued state ID cards to notify all card-holders of their risk for federal prosecution.

The Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program was designed to provide patients an ID card that could be used as evidence that they had received a recommendation from their physician to use marijuana for medicinal purposes. The card can assist law enforcement officials in determining whether an individual using marijuana meets the requirements of the Compassionate Use Act, which says that with the recommendation of a physician, a patient may obtain and use marijuana for personal medical purposes.

On June 6, 2005, in Gonzales v. Raich, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against two California women who sought a ruling that the federal government does not have jurisdiction to enforce federal law against individuals growing marijuana for their personal medical use. The court determined that Congress does have the authority to prohibit local cultivation and use of marijuana.

Although the court's decision did not directly affect California's Compassionate Use Act, approved by voters in 1996, and state law, the decision raised questions about whether the state can legally conduct a program that assists in the violation of federal law. In an effort to clarify the issue, CDHS sought legal advice from the State Attorney General.

CDHS began pilot testing an identification card and registry system in three counties--Amador, Del Norte and Mendocino–in May. To date, 123 cards have been issued. With the resumption of the program, the pilot testing is scheduled to be completed at the end of this month and the program expanded statewide beginning Aug. 1.

© 2004 State of California | Conditions of Use and Privacy Policy

Wow, I'm somewhat torn now. If I sign up for the card, I risk FEDERAL prosecution. Yet if I DONT sign up for the card, I risk STATE prosecution and legal hassle. I wonder if the feds could REALLY prosecute you for merely signing up for a card. I mean, simply because a doctor RECOMENDED the use of medical marijuana does not necessarily mean you are USING it. Sure, a flimsy argument, but can the Feds REALLY begin arresting 100,000 people for POTENTIALY using marijuana? I'm really really torn here. What are your thoughts on this Pinch?
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
Wow, I'm somewhat torn now. If I sign up for the card, I risk FEDERAL prosecution. Yet if I DONT sign up for the card, I risk STATE prosecution and legal hassle. I wonder if the feds could REALLY prosecute you for merely signing up for a card. I mean, simply because a doctor RECOMENDED the use of medical marijuana does not necessarily mean you are USING it. Sure, a flimsy argument, but can the Feds REALLY begin arresting 100,000 people for POTENTIALY using marijuana? I'm really really torn here. What are your thoughts on this Pinch?
-PM

Mr. PM, I was just discussing this with Mr. P420 in Canada. I don't think we need be afraid of prosecution as 215 patients. I don't think you'll have the DEA sniffing around CA much anymore with regard to Medical Marijuana. The continued big busts will continue as long as they can legitimatize them. I do not believe the US Gov will provide the funds for frivolous prosecution.. and that is what 215 related busts have become.

That's my opinion and like assholes.. everybody's got one. :allgood:

Pinch, I agree with your assessment :) There are simply TOO MANY medical marijuana patients to prosecute or even investigate. Oregon has a state run proram, with thousands of memebrs, and with 12 other states in the mix of it, and many more (hopefully) on the way, its going to come down the the federal government butting heads with either haalf of the nations states who passed laws for sick people. THe numbers of med pot patietns will just keep growing, and it will be impossible to hunt all of them down and prosecute them (Kind of analagous of the entire DRUG WAR, come to think of it!), besides the public fallout that wuill occur.
-PM

I agree my friend.. it's more than a snowball and nothing is stopping it.

Pinch said:
I agree my friend.. it's more than a snowball and nothing is stopping it.

Actually, I am missing the whole reason (other than just to say you have one) of even needing a state issued card.

First, are they needed to go into a dispensory?

ANSWER: Nope, the only requirement is an ID card and your doctors recomendation.

Next, are they needed if you are stopped by law enforcement?

ANSWER: Nope, again, you only need your ID card and your doctors recomendation.

How about, Do they give you any protection from prosocution if you are growing?

ANSWER: Nope, in fact it probably is more of a big bust me bullseye on your house in the long run.

And finally, is it a state requirement that all patients register?

ANSWER: Nope, that is a raise your hand and say here I am law enforcement tactic as far as I can tell.

I certainly wont be adding my name to their little green computer file. I don't go into governments business, and they should stay out of mine. This of course unless 2 or 3 million other patients suddenly registered, because at that point, simply in volume alone they wouldn't have the resources to go after even 1/2 of 1 percent of the cardholers, and I like those odds a lot better than what was it 122 total in the state?

:Rasta:

Thepurplem0nkey said:
-PM

There is no requirement for state registration.. Thus if you simply ignore the program for now you risk nothing. As long as you have your ID card and your recomendation on you at all times, you are as golden as you can get in California.

:Rasta:

Mr Eviltim, last I read the CHP do want to see a County-issued MMj ID card if you are stopped and found to have MMJ in your vehicle despite what 215 and 420 read.

One way to avoid this annoyance.. don't give the CHP any reason to stop you.

A CHP spokesman was quoted on February 16 in the San Francisco Chronicle saying that the agency would honor the state-issued ID cards but would continue its long-standing policy of confiscating marijuana seized from motorists unless a card was produced.

https://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=2102

MedicalMJ.org - Medical Marijuana Facts and News Updates

Bop! :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Back
Top Bottom