CA: Q And A - New Medical Cannabis Rules Explained

Katelyn Baker

California will soon be moving away from an unregulated marijuana marketplace to a state-regulated medical marijuana regime. The new licensing requirements will be the most comprehensive and complicated in the nation, attorneys say.

At a recent meeting in Oakland, Lori Ajax of the Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation answered questions about how the new Medical Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act will be implemented.

Q. What does the new law require?

A. It requires licenses for the cultivation, manufacture, distribution, transportation, testing and sale of medical cannabis. There will be 12 different types of licenses.

Q. How do I get a license?

A. Be patient. The state won't accept applications for a license until 2018.

Cultivation licenses must come from the Department of Food and Agriculture. Manufacturing licenses must come from the Department of Public Health. Distribution, transportation, lab testing and dispensary licenses will be issued by the Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation, within the Department of Consumer Affairs.

Q. Do I need a local license as well?

A. Any cannabis business must get a city or county license or permit before it can apply for a state license.

Q. I've been in business for years. Do I get priority for a license?

A. Any business that can show it was in operation and good standing with its local government before January 1, 2016, will get priority consideration for licensing.

Q. My city or county prohibits cannabis businesses. What do I do?

A. If your local government bans such businesses, you can't operate there.

Q. How much will the licensing fees cost?

A. The state has not yet set the fees for state licenses.

stocksy.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Q And A - New Medical Cannabis Rules Explained
Author: Lisa M. Krieger
Photo Credit: Stocksy

Back
Top Bottom