CA: Rocklin To Restrict Marijuana Use Ahead Of Prop. 64 Vote

Katelyn Baker

Rocklin, Calif. - In less than a week, California voters will decide whether to legalize recreational use marijuana. Rocklin is one of several communities trying to get ahead of the issue.

FAST FACTS:

-- Rocklin City Council will approve an emergency ordinance defining public use of marijuana
-- All city properties, streets, sidewalks and parks are "no zones" for marijuana use
-- City set to approve ordinance next Tuesday

Rocklin isn't creating a marijuana ban. It is just making it harder to get away with smoking in public, if recreational marijuana is legalized.

"The proposition already says it can't be ingested in a public place, but it doesn't give a definition of what a public place is," Rocklin Interim Police Chief Chad Butler explained. "So to stay ahead of that, we've decided that a public place is a city street, a city sidewalk, a city building, a city park or anything owned or leased by the city."

On Wednesday evening, the McClure Family enjoyed an evening at Rocklin's Quarry Park. It's one of more than 100 city-owned properties that will likely enforce "no marijuana" smoking.

"I think it's a little silly," Jourdan McClure said.

But, Butler said it's necessary.

"The ordinance, for us in our city, is going to hopefully protect people who want to enjoy the park from having to deal with the second-hand marijuana smoke," he said.

Proposition 64 allows cities and counties to make their own regulations, including banning marijuana business. But people 21 and older can still grow and use marijuana.

"I think smoking in a park would be one of the safest places to smoke as maybe long as you're not close to children or to the playgrounds," parent Tatyana Izina said. "But, I think smoking in the park should be allowed."

Other parents support the city ordinance.

"I think our children need a place to roam and have fun and not have to deal with that," parent Chassity Dawson said. "I'm not a big fan of cigarette smoke either, and I think it's kind of sad when we have to deal with that when we're trying to enjoy nature."

Outdoor cultivation was previously banned in Rocklin. McClure thinks the new ordinance will continue to put labels on marijuana users.

"If you're smoking marijuana, (it) doesn't mean you're a bad person - doesn't mean you're going to do something bad," McClure said. "What about people walking around with a baseball bat? That to me is far more scarier."

The city council is set to approve the ordinance next Tuesday.

Violators could be fined $100 for the first offense, a second violation is $200 and $500 for each violation after that, all within a one-year period.

The city has the option to further restrict or loosen the ordinance as time goes on.

flickr13.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Rocklin To Restrict Marijuana Use Ahead Of Prop. 64 Vote
Author: Dana Griffin
Photo Credit: Flickr

Back
Top Bottom