US - Pot Club in Pinole

Pinch

Pinole, CA - The Pinole City Council will consider tonight a yearlong moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries to give time to craft an ordinance to regulate them.

The city's zoning ordinance does not address the location of the dispensaries, also known as cannabis clubs. The city has no rules requiring them to obtain a permit either as a new business or as an additional use within an existing business, nor are there any performance criteria.

State voters in 1996 passed Proposition 215, allowing people to possess and grow marijuana for medical use on a doctor's recommendation. The initiative, which many critics faulted as vague, also envisioned a distribution network to make the drug affordable and available to those in medical need.

The proposed moratorium comes a few weeks after someone queried the city about locating a medical marijuana dispensary in Pinole, said city planner Elizabeth Dunn. The council will consider the moratorium as an urgency ordinance requiring four-fifths approval.

Elsewhere in the East Bay, the Albany City Council was set to vote Monday night on a 45-day moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries in response to several inquiries about opening one there, said Dave Dowswell, Albany's planning manager.

The moratorium in Albany will likely be extended beyond 45 days, giving time to the city to craft regulations governing the facilities, said city attorney Robert Zweben.

A 10-month moratorium approved by the El Cerrito City Council expires July 19, said city attorney Janet Coleson. She said the council will need to decide whether to adopt an ordinance governing marijuana dispensaries or to extend the moratorium for another year.

"Most cities don't have regulations in place and don't know how to treat them," said Coleson about dispensaries. "And they're trying to figure out how to regulate them if at all. It's not an easy call because the law is just all over the place right now."

A cannabis club in Pinole -- or El Cerrito -- would be the first in Contra Costa County, Pinole officials say, although neither city would be the first in the county to adopt a medical marijuana ordinance.

Martinez passed one in 2000, but no cannabis club has opened, said Martinez Deputy City Clerk Mercy Cabral.

Then-Vice Mayor Mark Ross called the ordinance "very tough and restrictive." It prohibits establishing a dispensary within 1,000 feet of a school or park or 300 feet from a residence. It also barred an employee or volunteer from leaving the premises with marijuana, effectively scuttling a proposal to deliver marijuana to critically ill people.

Cities all over California are trying to devise ways to keep out cannabis clubs. One, Rocklin, banned them altogether last year, in part on the grounds that federal law prohibits them.

"Rocklin may be the test case," said Pinole City Attorney Benjamin T. Reyes II.

Source: Contra Costa Times
Copyright: @cctimes.com.
Contact: Tom Lochner at 510-262-2760 or tlochner@cctimes.com. Alan Lopez at 510-243-3578 or alopez1
Website: .contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/counties/west_county/11550904.htm

Pot Club in my Neighborhood..

This is 2.5 miles from my house.. wild! :peace: Pinch

Re: Pot Club in my Neighborhood..

Pinch said:
This is 2.5 miles from my house.. wild! :peace: Pinch
yooooo crazy pinch i used to live in the EXACT same area you do. where u live, i grew up in richmond and berkeley.

Pinch said:
Pinole, CA - A cannabis club in Pinole -- or El Cerrito -- would be the first in Contra Costa County, Pinole officials say, although neither city would be the first in the county to adopt a medical marijuana ordinance.

Wrong. There's one in Concord thats been opened for months.

SptyOty said:

I know, you told us. Guidelines for a MMJ Club ordinance in Pinole are being discussed at a town council meeting as we speak. 7pm tonight.

Mr. Spy, you may be correct, hard to tell what they mean or how to read it. Perhaps the reporter was not aware.. I'll send him an email. :hmmmm:

By the way, you local dudes..

'San Francisco Cannabis Day 2005' San Francisco Civic Center Plaza, Larkin at Grove; 66404976, cannabisfreedomday@yahoo.com. Noon-6pm, $5. Celebrate the various uses of this plant, from hemp to medical marijuana. Hear speakers and dance to the sounds of the Caribbean Allstars, Alphabet Soup, and the Lynnete Shaw Band.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, May 4, 2005 See ya there!

Re: Pot Club in my Neighborhood..

Northern Lights said:
yooooo crazy pinch i used to live in the EXACT same area you do. where u live, i grew up in richmond and berkeley.

Mr. NL, live in the hills of Hercules.. Richmond and Bezerkley are just a stone's throw away.. 10-20 min drive tops. :goof:

Hey SptyOty,

I just got on the 420magazine.com forum today. I am curious, where in Concord is this medical pot despensary? I haven't heard about it. Are Doctors associated with it? I spose we're neighbors, I live in Pleasant Hill.

Are you into political activity? I want to END this stupid war. I could use some brave, kind friends. Not stupid or mean, just brave.

Lauren

kindgsl said:
Hey SptyOty,

I just got on the 420magazine.com forum today. I am curious, where in Concord is this medical pot despensary? I haven't heard about it. Are Doctors associated with it? I spose we're neighbors, I live in Pleasant Hill.

Are you into political activity? I want to END this stupid war. I could use some brave, kind friends. Not stupid or mean, just brave.

Lauren

Lauren,

The Medical Dispensary in Concord is located at 2155 Colfax St, Concord, off of Willow Pass Road. To my knowledge there aren't any doctors associated with it. Yes, we live very close to eachother, I'm in Danville, all of maybe 5-10miles away.

As for your second question, I'm not really into political activity, but I keep abreast of situations going on around me, and if it's the war in Iraq you refer to, yes I'd like to see it stopped as well, but thats kind of out of our hands at this point...

SptyOty said:

Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:byebye:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Contra Costa County Medical MJ in Concord
To: tlochner@cctimes.com.

Dear Sirs/Madames:

"A cannabis club in Pinole -- or El Cerrito -- would be the first in Contra Costa County, Pinole officials say, although neither city would be the first in the county to adopt a medical marijuana ordinance."

Pinole officials are incorrect:

"The Medical Dispensary in Concord is located at 2155 Colfax St, Concord, off of Willow Pass Road. To my knowledge there aren't any doctors associated with it." (420times.com)

Mr. Spy: There you go my friend. They have been corrected. Thank you for your support! :adore:

:peace: Pinch (IMC)

you da man Pinch :allgood:

By the way, a story broke this am saying that the city of Pinole had decided on a one year moratorium. I have a story waiting to get posted and a real good story about some federal medical MJ exposure.

oooOOoooo do tell!

As the Club Nazi in Pinole said..

"No Club for you!" :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom