California: Marijuana Clubs Help Pay For Gun Buyback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Redmond

The unusual joint effort came as funding for previous buybacks - usually cobbled together with leftover city community-assistance money and more recently, crowdfunding via the Internet - had been sporadic.

San Francisco's medical marijuana dispensaries - long maligned as magnets for street crime and repeatedly targeted by federal raids in recent years - offered to step in last year.

On Saturday, San Francisco police showed off an AR-15 military style assault rifle - worth more than $1,000 - that they bought back for $200 as part of the haul of 91 weapons purchased with pot club cash.

The pot clubs "are trying do their part,'' said Northern Station Capt. Greg McEachern. "We appreciate that."

The captain said taking just one assault weapon off the street made the entire day's effort worthwhile. "It's a very big deal."

Brendan Hallinan, a lawyer for the marijuana dispensaries and son of former District Attorney Terence Hallinan, said the pot clubs were happy to help. He said he easily solicited $50,000 last year from three of the city's two dozen dispensaries - the Green Door, Barbary Coast and Grass Roots - to underwrite police buybacks.

"There is this idea that pot clubs have a negative impact on the community and are a drain on law enforcement," Hallinan said. "They were really excited and see this as a way of improving community safety.

"Youth violence is a big problem. It was just a really nice fit."

Rudy Corpuz, executive director of United Playaz youth organization, which joined forces with the pot clubs to organize the event, pronounced Saturday's effort a total success.

"It was some serious heat that came through" during the two pot-club-sponsored buybacks, Corpuz said. In December, more than 100 guns were bought back, followed by 91 on Saturday. The operation allows anonymous payouts of $100 for handguns and $200 for assault weapons.

"A lot of these guns that are turned in were guns that were laying around, and people don't use them," he said.

"I just want to let people know: I'm not against people bearing arms."

He said that fewer guns on the street means less chance they will be used in crimes. "We're preventing people from getting killed."

When a gang-related quadruple homicide occurred in the Western Addition in January, the group quickly agreed to hold Saturday's event at the Ella Hill Hutch Community Center. The event began with a lineup of motorists, who swapped more than 30 weapons for cash in the first hour alone.

Corpuz said organizers had been worried that San Francisco police might object to the partnership with pot clubs.

"We wondered if it would be something they (police) would support," Corpuz said. "They said that 'we can come together as a partner as long as we get guns off the street.'"

Any money not spent buying weapons has been used for after-school jobs and helping the families of violent crime victims. "It's been going to good use," he said.

The pot clubs' help came after Ian Johnstone, a tech entrepreneur, began crowdfunding the city's gun buybacks in 2013. Johnstone's father was killed in 1992 by a youth who stole the gun he used in a home burglary.

"I think it is really cool that the medical marijuana community is getting involved," Johnstone said. "Buybacks show how broadly gun violence impacts'' society, he said. "There is a diverse crew of people coming together to work on these things. It's not a black thing, not a white thing. We are all put at risk."

Before the pot clubs got involved, crowdfunding and other sources helped San Francisco police take 250 guns off the street in 2014, said Sgt. Kin Yau Lee of the SFPD community relations detail.

Not everyone is so convinced buybacks work. John Vernick of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research said studies show gun buybacks are not very effective because they net the wrong kind of firearms.

"The highest-risk guns for being used in crime tend to be newer, tend to be higher caliber," Vernick said. "They tend to be semiautomatic pistols instead of revolvers. More importantly, they tend to be functional instead of broken."

"It is not as if you don't get any high-risk guns," in such buybacks, Vernick said, but "disproportionately, you don't get the high-risk guns and you don't tend to get the highest-risk people participating."

The money it costs to run buybacks could better be spent on targeted enforcement on those carrying concealed weapons and on programs designed to mentor youths in avoiding violence, he suggested.

Johnstone said gun buyback success cannot be measured by numbers alone.

"I think from the Police Department's point of view, they are just happy to get the guns off the street," he said.

"That is a win for them and less danger to the people of the city, less danger to the police force."

13533.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pot clubs help pay for S.F. gun buyback - SFGate
Author: Jaxon Van Derbeken
Contact: Jaxon Van Derbeken, Police/Courts Reporter - SFGate
Photo Credit: Sophia Germer
Website: SFGate: San Francisco Bay Area - News,Bay Area news, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds - SFGate

Guns are a tricky subject. I'd just like to start any discussion about this news with a caveat:

Regardless of your feelings about guns, this article is positive. It's about our brothers and sisters (dispensary owners and employees) trying to make communities safer. No matter the method, it's the thought/action that counts.

:thumb:

Guns are a tricky subject. I'd just like to start any discussion about this news with a caveat:

Regardless of your feelings about guns, this article is positive. It's about our brothers and sisters (dispensary owners and employees) trying to make communities safer. No matter the method, it's the thought/action that counts.

This is akin to saying, "Regardless of your feelings about genocide, it's good that there is more housing available." It IS about the method. Further, references to "assault weapons" are propagandistic in that they are generally made in reference to SEMI-AUTOMATIC (incapable of fully-automatic discharge) rifles which have been tarted-up to LOOK like assault rifles which are a sub-class of machine gun, i.e. capable of fully automatic discharge. The problem is not firearms. It is mostly poverty. In those nations where every adult male is required to have rapid access to a firearm the crime rates are significantly lower than they are in the USA.

I stopped reading once they started with the silly assault weapon garbage. That's press talk for a semi auto. I hope they got a lot illegal guns off the street, but my guess is like all gun buy backs all they get are old rusty guns.

Oh, and I doubt the AR was turned in, maybe, but not likely unless it was some gramma turning in her gang banging kids gat.

Post pieces about our community participating in programs which actually do contribute to public safety rather than provide feel-good photo-ops; Neighborhood Watch programs, early-childhood intervention/mentorship programs, etc. and I will be one of your loudest cheerleaders.

That may have been your intent but when you post something which you must know is biased you can not reasonably expect it to not be challenged.

All I said is "no matter the method". I think it's important that Dispensary Owners are community participants. What they choose to participate in is not up to me or you.

Post pieces about our community participating in programs which actually do contribute to public safety rather than provide feel-good photo-ops; Neighborhood Watch programs, early-childhood intervention/mentorship programs, etc. and I will be one of your loudest cheerleaders.

I do my best.

It is great that the community is demonstrating positive participation. The way it's being done is the exact opposite of the freedom we seek for Ganja.

I strongly urge support for Little league teams and every other thing which is normally done by participatory businesses.

1st off I want to say, great article,
2nd off, if this is how they feel is a workable solution to a problem, more power to them. They, just like you all have the rights to their opinions and shouldn't be belittled for doing something they feel is helping the community. To compare this with genocide and the opening of more available housing I believe is a pretty big stretch, but hey if that is how you feel, your entitled to believe what you want to believe.
I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment and also believe we all have a god given right to own and bear arms, but if these people believe that this program is helping in their community, great. It is a VOLUNTARY buy back, it is not like they are kicking your door in and taking anyones guns and dropping 50 bucks on your table as they walk out.
Like gardening, you have to try different things until you find what works best for you. This is no different. I am all for anything that puts MJ users and growers in the spot light in a positive light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom