Can I use an ushio 1000watt hps bulb with a magnetic sun system 1000 hps ballast?

molotov

I'm due for a new bulb and was wondering if this is ok/ I want to get the ushio 1000 watt opti red bulb but I have an Extrsun 1000w convertible ballast. I think its a magnetic ballast. Would the ushio bulb be compatible. If not which is the best bulb I could get.

If the ballast is convertible, it's more than likely a digital and not magnetic.

DD

Droop Dog, This is the ballast I have. I thought I read that it was magnetic. I then check the ushio specs and they said as long as it was maintained or something to that extent, magnetic would be fine. What do you think?

Hydrofarm sells exclusively to retailers. To purchase, please find a retailer near you.

Xtrasun 1000W 120/240v HPS/MH Convertible Ballast
SKU: BAC100A ( previously BAC100 )
Weight: 37.6 lbs.
Package Dimensions: 16.6L x 10.8W x 9.7H
Suggested Retail: $209.95

With the Xtrasun Convertible Ballast, you'll have Xtra flexibility; Use halide for growing and sodium for flowering.

* Convert from sodium to halide and back

* Dual voltage

* Works with Hydrofarm reflectors and most others

* Aluminum fins for more cooling surface

* 5 year warranty on ballast electrical components

Related Items
BAC400A Xtrasun 400W 120/240v HPS/MH Convertible Ballast
BACD6 8' Ballast Power Cord 14/3 240V

Additional Info
Xtrasun Ballast Instructions 1484K

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will my dual voltage 120/240v ballast operate on 208v?
A: Yes, all of our magnetic ballasts have a 208v lead coming out of the transformer located inside the ballast housing. You may have them specially ordered to operate 208v instead of 240v, or if you already have a Hydrofarm ballast, consult a certified electrician to rewire this for you. It is a very simple process.

You can tell by the fact that it weighs 37.6 pounds. If you drop a ballast on your foot and have to go get x-rays, it's magnetic.

Also, your ballast is bigger and bulkier than a digital ballast by a fair amount.

"Convertible" was used to mean a magnetic ballast that had the proper components to drive both a MH and a HPS for years before digital ballasts hit the market, so that's not really a way to tell.

I would listen to TS, it makes sense, especially the weight thing. My magnetic 400w ballast weigh about 20# each.

I had just never heard of such an animal. But there are a lot of things I've never heard of.

DD

Definately magnetic. I tested and dropped it on my foot and they both broke. Thanks Tortured soul you sadistic animal. Just kidding. LOL
It is magnetic. Thanks for the answer to a dumb question. Appreciate it guys.

Definately magnetic. I tested and dropped it on my foot and they both broke.

Been there, done that (but the ballast was unharmed).

Thanks Tortured soul you sadistic animal.

Any time :thumb:. (LOL.)

dumb question.

There are only two types of dumb questions - those that we are unwilling to ask, and those that we have already asked, received answers to, and continued to ask for the sole reason that we simply did not like the answer. Yours was not a dumb question under either definition of the term that I subscribe to.

Occasionally in my life I've seen someone ask a question, only to be met with an "everybody knows the answer to THAT" attitude. Obviously, everyone didn't know the answer, or the question wouldn't have been asked; additionally, with most questions there was a point in time when few - if any - knew the answer.

I ramble.

Droopy Dog said:
But there are a lot of things I've never heard of.

A statement that we can all truthfully make. But life would be so boring, otherwise.

I'm due for a new bulb and was wondering if this is ok/ I want to get the ushio 1000 watt opti red bulb but I have an Extrsun 1000w convertible ballast. I think its a magnetic ballast. Would the ushio bulb be compatible. If not which is the best bulb I could get.

If its a switchable magentic ballast just check the bulb types your ballast can drive and then check it vs the bulb type listing on the box,

I run the same bulb and balast with no issues. I have both hortilux and ushio bulbs in bloom now no big difference IMO. But the ushio has a 600watt MH that works with hps ballasts thats why I tried it:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom