Can Trimmings & Old Leaves Be Used For Edibles?

BuzzyB

Hi! I just inherited a bunch of leaves that were trimmed from plants growing outside. The plants are locked up in a secure place. The layout is that there is matting on the ground with holes in it so the plants grow in the dirt and up thru the holes. When its time to trim the big leaves off, they are just left to fall on the matting. No chemicals are ever used in the grow. My question is this: when we gathered the leaves, it was obvious they hadn't been picked up in a while. Some were very brown. Does this destroy the leaf or is it still usable? I shudder at the thought of picking through the leaves and sorting the green from the brown. I am hoping that the brown leaves, since they were on the matting, will be okay to cook with. Anyone have any ideas on this? I just wanted to dry them all, decarb them and cook with what I come out with. Just need to know if the brown leaves are still good to use! Thanks so much for all of your help! It isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be! I'll get there with folks like you answering my sometimes silly questions! Thank you all! Will be waiting for help on this! Oh, BTW: The brown leaves are from this grow. Not a previous one. Thanks all! Keep it mellow! :green_heart:

I'll give you my perspective on this... if the leaves have no trichomes then its pointless to make butter with. You could make oil (not cooking oil) with iso, but i'm not a fan of any extracts that are made with chemicals: isopropanol, butane etc. Also if they've been on the floor collecting debris and what not... you're going to eat this right? Anything with trichs and is clean i would grind up and make your butter. The grinding is not as neccesary with trim as it is with buds, this way your breaking the buds up so the butter or oil can get to all the trichs. Hope that helps some...

I'll give you my perspective on this... if the leaves have no trichomes then its pointless to make butter with. You could make oil (not cooking oil) with iso, but i'm not a fan of any extracts that are made with chemicals: isopropanol, butane etc. Also if they've been on the floor collecting debris and what not... you're going to eat this right? Anything with trichs and is clean i would grind up and make your butter. The grinding is not as neccesary with trim as it is with buds, this way your breaking the buds up so the butter or oil can get to all the trichs. Hope that helps some...

Thanks Greenhouse250! I am having a hell of a time trying to get these leaves into butter that is strong enough for what I need it for. I tried putting 4 oz. of ground dried leaf into a pound of butter, but, you guessed it, too much green! Couldn't even stir the stuff! I have a very high tolerance to all meds so need everything twice or three times as strong as everyone else, and it's frustrating! Don't want to waste the leaves but don't know how to get enough of them into the butter to cook it properly. I was (and am) using a crock pot and/or a double boiler. Any suggestions? Thank you!

The leaf your using does have trichomes right? If you need more of a concentrate, i would make hash with your trim, then add that to your mix. I've done it in the past and it works great. If you don't have bubble bags.. get some!! Worth the investment, on my first run with my bags they paid for them self's.

if you have not checked this out, i would...Xlr8's Magic Brownies - Step by Step - With Pictures!

:peace:

if there is no trichomes (white clear crystal looking substance) toss them in the trash , if they do have trichomes u can throw the whole leaf in a pot with butter and milk make sure the milk has a high fat contain as the THC will be absorbed in the fat contain of the milk and butter. Then keep it on a very slow boil for around 10-15mins. of course u will need to strain out the leafs and extras after u r done, store the milk Then you can use that butter milk to make any kind of drinks or food. I use mine to make coffee. And OH WOOW what a COFFEE. u get stuck for around 2-3hrs. I love giving them coffee's to my friends that dont smoke. HAHA

And dont USE BROWN leafs dont use any leafs that r looking sick or dying. use only the nice looking leafs that have the trichomes on them.

You can cook with anything besides the roots. Even the stems ..... but, if a stem is larger than your typical pencil then it's pretty worthless.

Can I come over for coffee? :goodjob:

Even if they are without trichomes, it will still have CBD's and other stuff inside the plant. By cooking it in oil or butter, you will be extracting these compounds. Go ahead and use it all ..... for cooking. Won't make much hash though.

Mutt I was visiting my fav dispensary a couple of weeks ago and the owner was reading an article about using the roots to make tinctures and poultices. I tried a google search but didn't have much luck. but from what I remember using a poultice made from the roots reduced swelling and sped up the regeneration of tissue

Cool .... that's good to know. I've heard of people using the roots to make tea. I hate tea ... not sure what it'd be good for.

guys i make canna butter .i save the leave in a card board box when i harvest my plants ,dry them and grind them in a blender and put in zip lock bags . when i make butter i use 2lbs butter + 2 cups of the ground leaves and one cup of loose good bud ( also ground in blender ). also rinse blended and use the water in the pot .don't want to waste anything .
i cook the butter and goodies for a couple of hrs. at around 200F ,i use a meat thermometer in the pot and really watch the temp .

with my recipe for Chocolate chip cookies i replace a cup of margarine with 1 cup canna butter and i can make 150 to 180 cookies from the 2 lbs of butter . careful with them they will sit you on your bum for a few hrs --- Erb

Mutt I was visiting my fav dispensary a couple of weeks ago and the owner was reading an article about using the roots to make tinctures and poultices. I tried a google search but didn't have much luck. but from what I remember using a poultice made from the roots reduced swelling and sped up the regeneration of tissue
There is a comment on a thread here about using roots to make a pain cream. I commented on the post so if you look through my comments you will find it :)
You can cook with anything besides the roots. Even the stems ..... but, if a stem is larger than your typical pencil then it's pretty worthless.
I've heard too that thick stems aren't any good. I make am awesome pain cream, I have posted my recipe, is orgnal post has some spare leaves without tricomes, try making my cream and let me know if I have been wasting good bud shake to make it.

Pain cream using only 2 grams made many times

Hi BuzzyB - add water to the pot, enough to make it swish/stir. doesn't matter how much water you add, you will be draining it off later. cook on med-low for an hour or so, strain the leaf from the butter/water, then put the butter water in the fridge until the butter hardens, drain the water off and there you go. the thc is oil soluable, you won't be throwing any away in the water. If you are using 4oz of leaf to 1lb of butter it is going to be really potent so go slow until you know how it is going to affect you. I made a batch of cookies once with maybe an oz of leaf and a lb of butter and it got an entire house party wasted. Nobody remembered anything after eating the cookies but I took pictures and it appeared we all had a blast!

Hi! I just inherited a bunch of leaves that were trimmed from plants growing outside. The plants are locked up in a secure place. The layout is that there is matting on the ground with holes in it so the plants grow in the dirt and up thru the holes. When its time to trim the big leaves off, they are just left to fall on the matting. No chemicals are ever used in the grow. My question is this: when we gathered the leaves, it was obvious they hadn't been picked up in a while. Some were very brown. Does this destroy the leaf or is it still usable? I shudder at the thought of picking through the leaves and sorting the green from the brown. I am hoping that the brown leaves, since they were on the matting, will be okay to cook with. Anyone have any ideas on this? I just wanted to dry them all, decarb them and cook with what I come out with. Just need to know if the brown leaves are still good to use! Thanks so much for all of your help! It isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be! I'll get there with folks like you answering my sometimes silly questions! Thank you all! Will be waiting for help on this! Oh, BTW: The brown leaves are from this grow. Not a previous one. Thanks all! Keep it mellow! :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom