Can you grow successfully under fluorescent shop lights?

marymama

okay I just have one question I would like to ask without sounding incredibly stupid. Can you grow successfully under florescent shop like lights? What about cfl bulbs? should it be warm light or cool lighting?

okay I just have one question I would like to ask without sounding incredibly stupid. Can you grow successfully under florescent shop like lights? What about cfl bulbs? should it be warm light or cool lighting?

Florescent shop lights work great but I would suggest that if this is the route you choice use either a fixture that uses T-8's or better yet T-5 lamps. The reason I suggest this is because of electrical efficiencies. It will cost you less to get the same results because they consume less power. Though if all you can get your hands on are T-12 fixtures by all means, they will work also. I use them exclusively for Vegging and they work great. Though keep in mind it is best to use a 6500K lamp for vegging and when you switch to flowering you want to switch to a 3000K bulb. The 6500K bulb produces a blue spectrum where as the 3000K bulb creates a red spectrum. Depending on how many lamps you are using, some people find it beneficial to flower with one or two 6500K mixed in with the 3000K bulbs to get a fuller spectrum.

I have not personally grown with CFL's though I do know for a fact they will grow MJ and if used properly they can produce good results for what they are.
From my understanding about them, they require more daily maintenance, since their effective range is smaller. Ideally they need to be 3 to 6 inches from the plant so during growth spurts you will be adjusting your lights quiet often.

Which ever one you choice, I would suggest you research different ways to keep your canopy flat, though either a scrog or LST or even HST. By keeping a even canopy it allows the light to get equal penetration to the buds and will increase your yield at the end.

I would also add, that in my humble opinion. for starting seeds and until they reach 3 to 4 nodes I believe that CFLs are the most efficient and easiest not to heat stress your new plant.

Best of luck to you in which ever direction you choose

Older grower is correct! Although I grew under MH lighting in the 70's I have also done a few dorm room grows using shop lights with just bag seed. It was good smoke if I remember correctly and Jerry Garcia liked the smell of it at a Dead concert in like 1979 or 1980 or something like that. Second row center in Indianapolis and as soon as he smelled it he perked up and started looking for where it was coming from! Ha! Good times! Dang I'm old!!!

I've had several harvests this year and grew with nothing but shop lights and t-8 bulbs. the smoke is excellent and the yield was pretty good. i have a few different strains curing at the moment. i used 6500k and 5000k for veg and 3500k and 3000k for flowering.

In my tent I'm currently using a couple 100w 2100K/2700K CFLs with a few extra 23w 2700K CFLs placed in. (for flowering) I'm going to supplement it soon with a few T5 lamps.

Back
Top Bottom