Canadian Pot Laws?

Born2Toke

wuzzup guys, just wanted the general low down on the pot laws in Canada. I'm considering moving to Canada and want to know what you can do as far as owning weed, growing weed and smoking it in Canada. I ofcourse know its decriminalized to a point but I wanna know the hard facts. Can you help a brotha out? :cheesygrinsmiley: peace :Rasta:

Cannabis is ILLEGAL in Canada.
However,
Most police are indifferent when it comes to discreet personal consumption, Though the Conservative Gov. has made cultivation penalties much harsher for large scale operations.

OnionGobbler said:
Cannabis is ILLEGAL in Canada.
However,
Most police are indifferent when it comes to discreet personal consumption, Though the Conservative Gov. has made cultivation penalties much harsher for large scale operations.

so its illegal, not decriminalized? I'm confused , can you explain the penalties for growing, can you grow personal stuff? how much is "legal" or "OK" to grow and have on ones person?
I was under the impression that it was legal to smoke and have a personal amount to own and /or grow. And that selling and large grow operations are the clear illegal parts. Can some Canadian friends please help out?:smokin3:

The laws are basically the same as in the States.. you may apply for a permit from the Canadian Government (they've issued less than 400 nationwide) that allows you to grow pot.. (P420 had one.. RIP).

Go to www.NORML.org to see laws in Canada.

Your answer.. no, the grass is not greener on the other side of the border. What ever gave you that idea?:hmmmm:

(Pinch- born Canadian, always a Canadian.. A Californian too!)

Onion Gobbler is right sweetie...

Cannabis and any derivative thereof is/are ILLEGAL in Canada. Period.

As mentioned, our Conservative Government can be thanked for continuing that.

In 2003, thanx to our Lawsuit Hitzig vs. Canada Hitzig v Canada - Wikipedia - Cannabis WAS Legal for a peiod of time. From apporoximately June through to October 2003.

Now, everything is back to the old way of thinking where Prohibition rules and anyone caught with cannabis on them is subject to our Laws and possible Fine and/or imprisonment as it IS against the Law.

Please be careful if you come to Canada looking for weed. There are some Cafes in the Toronto area but you are taking a chance by going to them and indulging.

They don't sell, it is strictly bring your own and smoke it there...
Pinch mentioned that there were less than 400 legal patients in Canada... actually it's closer to 1400 now...

I'm one of the first twenty in the Country and I have had my licence since early 2000.

Still far too few as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck whatever you decide doll...

Love and stuff,

Alison
xx

That's amazing doll! I wasn't aware there were that many people who were LEGAL patients in California.

In Canada, there are appproximatly 1495 LEGAL patients - and 1,750,000 people who choose to use cannabis WITHOUT permission ie. a Licence.

Sad that our Government doesn't recognize this yet.

I will continue to fight for this for the people of Canada and around the World as long as I am alive!

Trust me.

We WILL make a difference and one day this Government WILL see the truth.

I KNOW we will see change.

I am wishing it to be true and fighting for the legal right for anyone over the age of 16 to be able to utilize this plant for ANY reason.

PLEASE everyone - Do YOUR part today.

Love and a squish,

Alison
xx

wow, I got the Alison Myrden to respond to my post, I'm honored.

All the info you guys gave is very helpful, but I would like to take it a bit further if you don't mind. I now know that pot is illegal, but as far as social acceptance what is the level as compared to the US overall? I was told by many friends and others the abundance, less expensive, and sometimes ( in certain areas) more open usage. I am olso aware of the ease of growing personal pot as I am in contact with many who do.
If I am smoking a joint in Ontario should I be as careful as I am when i'm in NY?
Are the police in Canada looking for pot in general (as in some US jurisdictions) or do they generally hassle only large for profit grow ops or organized crime?

I know these are specific but I would appreciate as much info as I can get. I'll check out the NORML canada link as well. thanks guys. :cool:

Just another quick note... i read somewhere that you can get a license to grow up to two plants for personal use in canada... im guessing this is a myth then?

Hi guys... sorry I didn't see this earlier... I've been busy again...
Thanx for the great props sweetie... :smokin:

In answer to your questions Born2Toke, Cannabis is LEGAL in Canada according to the Terry Parker ruling from 1997:

Terry Parker Case -- Ontario Court Declares Medical Marijuana Prohibition Unconstitutional

BUT and a BIG BUT - I can't go around saying that there is no Law because my friends and yours - are STILL being arrested AND incarcerated all across this Country. Our Police and Judges are not yet aware that the Courts reinstated our Cannabis Laws - not our Parliament. Someone HAS to educate them fully to end this nonsense!

The Law is in utter confusion in Canada as we speak to alot of the Drug War Advocates because of this ruling. I never say PUBLICALLY one way or the other whether the Law is dead, because I don't want to be the REASON you're BUSTED and INCARCERATED here. This is one of the VERY FIRST TIMES I HAVE AGREED PUBLICALLY that the Law is dead.

People in B.C. and Ontario seem to be able to get away with more when it comes to this fine herb, because alot more people fight that it IS LEGAL there and in Ontario, as Terry Parker is FROM Ontario... Quebec is starting to make more noise with Montreal and the East Coast is trying to be heard...

IF/WHEN - we get caught with small amounts of cannabis, (which we do) we get a slight rap on the knuckles and a monetary fine these days depending on where you live. Although I have to warn people our Conservative Government is EXACTLY like Bush!

Unless other charges are pressed as well, (which would mean more trouble) you are only usually looking at these two sanctioned court orders. Jail time is usually not an issue until breaches, trafficking and other Court defied acts are brought in and added on...

Any LEO's are usually looking for a significant haul when they put you under surveillance or arrest you at in, or near a grow site with evidence. It's not worth THEIR time to do the paperwork if it's too small.

The New NORML Canada Site isn't running yet I don't think, so be sure to read Terry Parker vs. her Majesty while you wait. :laughtwo:

Not sure myself what to think as have heard many varying versions. Some say the Law WAS - LEGALLY REINSTATED.

Who's confused?

Appollo to answer you sweetie...Any average person CANNOT grow, possess or distribute ANY plants LEGALLY in Canada unless they are sick and have a legal licence at this time due to this confusion.

Sick people like myself, who use copious amounts of cannabis - can grow between 25 and 100 plants each, in a continuous cycle for our health as prescribed by our Doctors.

Having said all that - Canada IS a wonderful Country. :peace:

Thanx for asking guys...

Big Love and stuff,

Alison
xx

hey all.
alison, you're awesome. a wealth of information. it's a sad state our country is in these days. myself and a number of my friends use cannabis illegally for meds. between chronic pain, anxiety attacks, intestinal disorders and epilepsy, we have our fair share of need. but none of us has been able to obtain a MMAR. this frustrates me to no end.

i read the wikipedia article and it said that you ran for the NDP (now ND) in 2004. i was wondering if i could get your opinions on our various parties and their stances on legalization. I've read quotes from a number of NDer's and they seem to favor it. but i'd like your thoughts.

oh canada, indeed..

newbie: not sure this is the right forum... looking for a list of Doctors in OTTAWA OK to prescribe weed. I suffer with Nueropathic Pain and AS and want a legal source. THANKS & PEACE!!!

High!!! im a michigander with a medical MJ card I have property in Ontario im trying to make it my summer home for 5 months out of the year but with out having my meds with me is almost unbareable .Is there any paper work i can fill out in Canada so that i mite recieve a card there?Iwant to follow the laws in your country as i feel its a privalage to be there can any one give me any imformation thanks from UNREEL

There is a serious threat to our freedoms in canada!

Have you read Bills C-6 & C-52? DO IT! your freedom depends on us stopping these!

newbie: not sure this is the right forum... looking for a list of Doctors in OTTAWA OK to prescribe weed. I suffer with Nueropathic Pain and AS and want a legal source. THANKS & PEACE!!!

I remember being given a card advertising a clinic on young st in Toronto, that said they were open to idea of issuing medical marijuana cards, but this was around a year and a half ago. I believe it was 468 young st, but i cant really remember if that was the address exactly. This doesn't mean your guaranteed to get one, it just means that they are open to idea of prescribing it.

This is the biggest problem with Canada's medical marijuana system, it is incredibly hard to get a prescription, and the chance your doctor will prescribe it at all is extremely low.

Onion Gobbler is right sweetie...

Cannabis and any derivative thereof is/are ILLEGAL in Canada. Period.

As mentioned, our Conservative Government can be thanked for continuing that.

In 2003, thanx to our Lawsuit Hitzig vs. Canada Hitzig v. Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Cannabis WAS Legal for a peiod of time. From apporoximately June through to October 2003.

Now, everything is back to the old way of thinking where Prohibition rules and anyone caught with cannabis on them is subject to our Laws and possible Fine and/or imprisonment as it IS against the Law.

Please be careful if you come to Canada looking for weed. There are some Cafes in the Toronto area but you are taking a chance by going to them and indulging.

They don't sell, it is strictly bring your own and smoke it there...
Pinch mentioned that there were less than 400 legal patients in Canada... actually it's closer to 1400 now...

I'm one of the first twenty in the Country and I have had my licence since early 2000.

Still far too few as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck whatever you decide doll...

Love and stuff,

Alison
xx

Kool, I recived my grow and smoke papers from the gov in 2004 ^_^

Kool, I recived my grow and smoke papers from the gov in 2004 ^_^
Thanks for the info i wasn't looking to find any there, I'm a law abiding citizen. and was only inquiring if your government would allow me to possess if i had a card from Michigan ?isn't it strange that no other medicine is treated in this way ?it all about the drug companies what a shame .so ill go with out as i have in the past to please big brothers realities.in pain i guess i should go back on the vicodin to please the drug companies and driving are health insurance up until were addicted again and , until they tell us were drug addicts again when its big brother that benifits when we are let to suffer

Thanks for the info i wasn't looking to find any there, I'm a law abiding citizen. and was only inquiring if your government would allow me to possess if i had a card from Michigan ?isn't it strange that no other medicine is treated in this way ?it all about the drug companies what a shame .so ill go with out as i have in the past to please big brothers realities.in pain i guess i should go back on the vicodin to please the drug companies and driving are health insurance up until were addicted again and , until they tell us were drug addicts again when its big brother that benifits when we are let to suffer

Unfortunetly you will have to get a Dr. to sign off on one for BC. USA Pot Cards will not be recognized here. Well not that I know of, or legally lol.
Well, that's the evil corperations for ya. lol They'll medicate us all with pills, but when we all think 4 our selves......that's a criminal thing to do. We as "the people", have to make a stand and MAKE these real corprate overlords/criminals pay for the countless lives they have directly/in-directly harmed with over medicating/undermedicating people. Not to mention, they are ripping us all off on the prices/bills for the garbage pills they sell any ways.

At anyrate, weeds super easy to get anyplace in Canada anyways lol. Most cops don't care, but there is the odd one who will, and be a a dick about it lol.

Back
Top Bottom