Cancer Patient Allowed To Use Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Martin Kaneva is finally allowed to use marijuana legally to ease his stomach cancer.

Kaneva received his long-awaited medical marijuana authorization Tuesday from Health Canada, five months after a doctor wrote him a prescription for the weed.

“Finally having the licence is just great,” said the 39-year-old Wednesday. “But what I’ve found the most rewarding is all the support I’ve had. It makes me feel so good to know that people do understand and do accept what I’m doing.”

Kaneva, who has a feeding tube and a 50-50 chance of surviving, was diagnosed in December with metastatic gastric cancer and had been waiting since June for a Health Canada licence to grow and use marijuana. He had been using the weed illegally while caught in a massive backlog of applications Health Canada says it is trying to address.

Since his story appeared in The Spectator, Kaneva says, he’s had phone calls, e-mails and posts on his Facebook site from supporters — many facing the same kind of wait.

“There are hundreds of people like me out there,” said Kaneva, former executive chef at Carmen’s Banquet Centre. “I hope Health Canada tries to do something to help them.”

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: thespec.com
Author: The Hamilton Spectator
Copyright: 2010 Metroland 2010

Back
Top Bottom