Cannabis Culture on College Campus

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Prop. 19 could help students deal with the hard times they'll endure if they want to attend college or university in California

Every election year there is at least one controversial measure on the ballot. In 2008, it was Prop 8 and gay marriage. This year the hot-button issue is the proposed legalization and regulation of marijuana, Prop. 19.

Proposition 19, if passed, would allow individuals 21 and older to grow, possess and transport marijuana for their own personal use. But it would also prohibit those same individuals from possessing marijuana on school grounds. Marijuana possession is already illegal on college campuses; I learned that lesson earlier this year while attending Chabot College in Hayward.

A school where "Mary Jane" wouldn't have a problem being accepted is Oaksterdam University. Known as Oakland's "Weed College," it opened three years ago. Oaksterdam has semesters and weekly programs dedicated to teaching students all that is needed to know about the cannabis industry.

But with possible legalization, will there be any effect on traditional college campuses? Will colleges start to resemble the 2001 movie "How High," which featured rap music's version of "Cheech and Chong"-- Method Man and Redman?

"How High" blessed us with many philosophies about marijuana and in its place in academia. One of the most well-known philosophies would be "Study high, take the test high, get high scores." I 'highly' doubt that there's been a scientific study done that supports that claim. But I can guarantee that many college students have tried it and believe that it accurate.

I can see why a lot of colleges and universities across the country would be against Prop. 19. They don't want their schools' overall image to take a hit because their students are engaging in marijuana related activities.

Furthermore, universities could see an increase in drug-related incidents on their campuses with the legalization of marijuana. Both are strong arguments for why it could bad business for universities.

But, since part of the reason why such a measure is even on the ballot is the possible financial benefits legalizing marijuana could have for cash-strapped states like California, it makes all the sense in the world.

With no state budget in sight and UC and CSU students fees currently at record highs, passing Prop. 19 could help many of students deal with the hard times they'll endure if they want to attend a college or university in California, or anywhere else for that matter.

The major concern is: Can college students, who aren't always the most responsible individuals, handle the responsibility that would come with the legalization of marijuana?

Source: Laney Tower (Laney College, Oakland, CA, Edu)
Copyright: 2010 Laney Tower
Author: Stephen Allen

Back
Top Bottom