Cannabis, Opiates Team Up

Jacob Bell

A University of California, San Francisco study has concluded that the combination of opiates and marijuana is a more effective means of pain relief than opiates alone.

Despite a small sample size of 21 chronic pain patients, the study's participants reported more pain relief when they introduced vaporized cannabis in addition to their regular doses of oxycodone or morphine, according to a UCSF press release. The study, which was published earlier this month in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, is the first of its kind to examine the interaction between cannabinoids and opiates in humans. While the original goal was to determine whether marijuana would alter opiate levels in the bloodstream, researchers were surprised with the results.

"This preliminary study seems to imply that people may be able to get away perhaps taking lower doses of the opiates for longer periods of time if taken in conjunction with cannabis," said Donald Abrams, the paper's lead author and professor of clinical medicine at UCSF.

abb35.jpg

Source: Chico News & Review, The (CA)
Copyright: 2011 Chico Community Publishing, Inc.

Mr. Dunn,
I, too, live in constant fear that the DEA will, capriciously, FORBID any Cannabis-THC in the UA of any Pain Management patient.
I live in Hell-South of the Mason-Dixon line has been nothing short of a lesson "How to Circumvent the Constitution and Bill of Rights" by the Police, Feds, DEA, DOJ, IRS,,,eIeIO ESPECIALLY the FEDS-Now they want to, all but, regulate my medication out of existence.
In order to get a pain management Doc to treat me, I literally SHOPPED FOR ONE-telling them all up-front about my medication regimen, until I found one who's credentials left him "off the radar" of anyone-as I have (all but 4) Cervical,Thoracic and Lumbar discs )are herniated in addition to HEP-C,Bone spurs, Spinal Stenosis...the list goes on.
I wish you luck and Pain Free days-
CANNABIS IS THE ANSWER-Regardless the question

Back
Top Bottom