CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

When melting the butter, I use a crockpot on low heat, that way I do not have to use a thermometer, but as long as you keep the temp below the burning point, you should not have a problem. In a vape the temp is close to 400 degrees F, so if you use a thermometer, I would keep it below 400.

A friend gave me about an ounce and a half of fan leaves and a little trim.Can i still use this to make butter that is decent or would it be a waste of time?:thanks:for your answers.

marshal88, Herb Zen and others re missing butter.

According to Wikipedia commercial butter is 80% fat, 15% water and I assume the remaining 5% is milk solids. The water in the butter is going to end up in the water you added as a heat control medium and as milk solids are water soluble I'm pretty sure they end up in the water as well. Anyone such as yourselves who noticed the loss in weight were probably also pretty careful to mechanically extract their butter so I doubt you lost more than a couple of percent of fat. I'm guessing that those who extract THC using a 100% fat cooking oil show minimal loss, comparable to your actual fat loss.

Thanks to Hash for starting and running with this.

Butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the harvest over,now is the time to play with the trim. I used a nylon stocking to hold the trim and butter and let the pure butter gather at the bottom. That stuff was good, but I decided I wanted to extract more, so I boiled the stocking in a pot(it was inside a strainer, so it would not directly be in the pot). A bunch of oil was on top of the water after I squeezed the stocking, so I put it in the fridge to harden. I got an extra 1/2 cup that way and I used the stocking again in the water I used to make noodle soup, so the soup was medicinal as well. Like I said before, nothing gets wasted(except me ;-) ) and all the green stuff left over goes out to the worm bin or if it has oil in it, I leave it for the birds to eat. Free Marc Emery!

Thanks Michael. From reading a couple of your other posts I'd given some thought to the nutrients in the drained water and how to reuse it in cooking. Now I'm going to put off the butter I was making this afternoon to go out and buy some nylons. I read into your post that multiple boils could cut down on a lot of messy squeezing. Someone else mentioned frying onions in the butter stuck to the pot and I like that idea too. Lots of good ideas here.

My first experience with weed cooking was 30 years ago, also my first grow. I stuffed a pork tenderloin with half a dozen fan leaves for flavour and then later spent half an hour giggling in bed with my honey over who should turn out the light before the 'Wow, I'm really stoned!' light turned on. I'm not into couch lock so I never tried that again. Munchies I can nibble on are more comfortable.

Before you chuck your leftovers out for the critters, a cautionary tale. I once was vaping bud, building a nice little pile of tasty golden crumbs, when in my less than alert state a favourite little dog jumped in my lap and ate them. In no time he was unable to walk and we spent the night on the front porch together watching the bats and the moths flying through the strobe of a 500w farm light until he could walk to the gate. He seemed to enjoy himself but he certainly would have been helpless against anything from the edge of the light.

I just finished harvesting some old Marc Emery product I'd bred for seed - it might have been foolish him arguing principles with a theocracy.

Just completed a batch.

I used 3 pounds of butter and the amount of leaves and stems it takes to stuff the cut off legs of large panty hose, 8-12 oz's. Simmered them together in a large roasting pan half filled with water for 8 hours while stirring them and squeezing with tongs occasionaly. I removed the stuffed nylons, squeezed them back into the roasting pan by hand using heavy rubber gloves. Set the roasting pan off to the side to cool and put the nylons into another large pot half full of water, enough to cover the nylons, simmered them another hour, squeezed the nylons and poured all of the liquid into a bowl to cool and then repeated one more time. The second and third pots each gave me about 10 grams so it seems worth the effort. Using nylons to contain the pieces certainly worked for me. After removing the chilled butter from the roasting pan I cooked barley in the remaining water to pick up the left over butter bits and the dissolved milk solids. That's for the freezer and winter soups.

Before I baked with this, to get a feeling for its potency, I made tea with it. I brewed tea and removed the bag, added a heaping tea spoon of butter, and kicked back, nicely and for a long time as it turned out. Now I know if I'm planning on 16 one per voyage brownies I need 16 heaping tea spoons of my butter and then top it off with regular butter to meet the recipe requirements. Or I can use 8 spoons and eat 2 brownies. You can skip the tea part and just lick it off a measuring spoon but by this simple test you'll ultimately end up with far more predictable baked goods. I found it took close to two hours for me to peak, your results may differ.

For next time I'll cut the stems into 1-2 inch lengths and prolly split the big ones. Nylon is amazingly tough but while your long stems might not go through the nylon they're awkward when you're squeezing.

For sure I'm giving the next product a week long water cure before I start. I've done one on bud and liked it, just never occured to me to do it on the trash. I'd stuff the nylons first, before the cure. I'm doing this to reduce the water soluble material that contributes greatly to the smell once you start to apply heat.

I bought a Procter Silex single burner to do this in the garage. They use a self setting thermal overload switch (that they don't tell you about) that requires your constant attention until you bring your mixture to a boil. I found midway on the dial kept me at a nice simmer with no thermal cut offs once &*#$@#? boiling was achieved.

The second and third cooling pots should have the smallest surface area you can manage. The thicker the cooled solid butter is, the easier it is to remove. You folks doing a single stick should think about that. When the butter skim is thin, removing it is like pushing string.

Remember most commercial butter is about 80% fat, that other 20% is water and milk solids and that part's all going into the water you're cooking with, expect to finish up with noticeably less than you started. A regular maker told me she gets about 75% back. Cooking oils are 100% fat but they also take a lot more chilling to turn solid and solid fat is much easier to separate from the water.

If you've got pets be careful with the leftovers and the dirty pots. Butter out in the open is hard for them to resist. One of my little guys grabbed enough of some unnoticed thing to spend a few hours in my lap doing a south asian head bob. Not fun at all.

Protip: When you're finished take the wad of mushy bud that was in the cheesecloth and swallow it down with some milk. If the idea of eating a big wad of wet, soggy bud is too much for you; use a food processor or blender and make a shake. Waste not, want not. :)

If you are questioning the end result take a look at Microwave firecrackers tutorial w/ pics and try just one. Much less of a commitment vis-a-vis making butter. If you don't enjoy it, well I'm sure you can think of other uses.

Not really. LOL! Didn't know what it was, so I collected it, saved it and started googling.

I thought I'd experiment and make some butta for cookies - and just dump what I have in the crockpot w/ water & unsalted butter and keep in on low for 12 hours. It's all AK-47 powder - aprox a 1/8 oz.

We have a medical user who will be visiting for the holidays & I wanted to make something festive for him.

If all else fails, I'll try to make the crackers pretty. Thanks!

:nicethread:

The original post by Hash works.

A slow cooker will probably need more water than Hash used and you might want to boil it in a regular pot first. You just need to maintain a simmer so that's probably your high setting.

Good luck.

Hmmm well i'm not familiar with how the bud turns up after being vaped in the volcano, is it golden brown? If so then yes 14 grams is the least you should use, I find that this is just enough to get me fucked up.

And I have always wanted to make some THC oil, but it's very hard to find 99% butane. Any ideas on a good place to get some?

Nice how to I will have to try it out. How do you make THC oil?

Great guide. Unfortunately I used a different guide earlier when I made some butter myself. I have a problem to go with. There's a lot of water left over, and the container I used as a result is way too wide. It caused the butter to thicken in an extremely thin layer, and I'm having issues on how I should handle the situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to save the butter?

Warm up the container (to get every drop possible) and put it and the water into a crock pot. Start over by heating it for a couple of hours on low until it's shiny on top. It should be fine to strain again. Pour it into ice trays. Each cube is about 1/2 cup.

Back
Top Bottom