Cheap Ph tester probs

staggerlee

I dont grow hydroponically but its a water PH prob and being new on this site thought this would be the right section to post in! Not to mention... who better to ask about a ph prob than hydro growers huh? Being new I would like to say howdy to you all!

I have been growing in/out for over 20yrs, and after going thru several expensive digital ph testers I tried out the cheap simple liquid test kit(not strips) and actually loved it. Up until a few months ago,never a prob BUT after expriencing a plant prob that caused me to double,n triple check the ph of my water using a few different vials checking the same exact gal of water I noticed 3 different readings. So after grab'n several gal of distilled I started trying to figure wtf I did to explain the dif reading prob? Then I started to get 3 dif readings w/gal I never even put nutes in!

When I say 3 dif readings I mean 1 vial read 5 another 6 and about 7.5 /8 in the last vial... After going thru every "step'' that I mightve cause these readings I can honestly say that its NOT me! I bought another kit "just in case". Now Im testing from a new gal of distilled using 3 dif (CLEAN) vials
going thru the testing process making double sure it not me fucking up, and again 3 vials w/3 dif readings! The really weird thing is each vial shows the same reading over and over even with dif distilled gallons.... showing about a ph 6,7,8. Now I realize that distilled should be in the 6.5 - 7ph. So even without adding any nutes wtf are these 3 vials showing such drastically different readings?

Has any1 experienced probs like these? I really liked the cheap test kit compared to trying to keep an expensive tester (damaging probe) working right! These readings are way to different to explain off these probs. I am spent, aggravated Knowing it isnt me and gone thru any/every possibility that could cause the difference. Even thought my finger covering the open end of the vial when shake'n to mix the sample? any1?

It might be confusing the way Im explaining the situation so
I would like to add that some times I will get the "same" correct readings in all 3 samples... but like every other day when it does differ it is the same vials reading the same differences. the vial that read 7.5/8 days earlier is the vial reading 7.5/8 again? After I started keeping track of which vials read which differences this has been getting me really pissed lol! If you even understand this thread Im sure you'd think it must be me but I do know my grow!

I agree the expensive pH meters are a pain to maintain. Still for piece of mind I use the meter and always get in trouble because the meter is out of calibration. The little bottles of solution and the little drops served me satisfactorily for many years and I do think they are more than accurate enough for hydroponics.

As I am reading your post my understanding is that you are testing distilled water and getting different readings with the drops. I think the distilled water may be your problem as there is nothing to buffer pH swings. Just a little bit of contamination could cause a big swing in pH of distilled water because there is no buffer capacity. Try testing tap water and see if it is more consistent.

I think there's a bit of a myth about digital PH meters being tough to maintain, and always losing calibration.

I've had an Eco Tester digi for over 3 years now. I've never had to calibrate it, ever. I use it, rinse it off and put it away, that simple. No, I don't use storage solution or any of that. Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

Get yourself a digital meter. :thumb:

Thanx to both of you for replyin, but m pretty sure I found out the prob this weekend... Why my
readings were off testing the same exact water (dist and tap) was I have a few different PH tester
bottles I would use and at one time I bought a larger refill bottle that happened to be from a different
company.. I beleive one was sunleaves and the other Gen Hydro! I think that when I refilled one small bottle
from the larger (family size)lol! it was mixing 2 different company's product. I did check to make sure the
color raings for ph were the same color, but didnt think to check company brand, since bought at the same
dro shop and were almost identical. Bought a new one threw out all others and since(about 1wk) have
had no difficulties. I have also had several probs go bad but they were do to dryin out and unused for
a while in each case

I use a digital meter that I got for 10 bucks on ebay. The ist 1 worked perfect for 6 months then I dropped it, so I got 3 more, in case I have a prob I can double / tripple check, and always have a spare for emergencies at critical times. After I dropped the first one, I started getting strange readings just as it was getting hotter, so i wasn't sure and it took me a week to get new meter, so I ordered 2 more and I'll never have that prob again.

I just wanted to mention that my prob w/the cheap liquid ph test kit was my bust completely and would give this kit the thumbs up,especially for others that have probs w/the expensive meters or growers on a tight budget. If yo grow hydro I can see using digi meters enough to mantain probs from drying out, but if going that route you have to be on top of it (never letting the probe sit for long periods... My only pro w/cheap kit is from mixing 2 dif brands .. This could be a prob for growers that buy the large "family size" bottle to refill the smaller . The 2 dif companies had the exact same labels,color bands, ect.. with the only dif being the brand(company) on the label. They really should make this known....

My only pro w/cheap kit is from mixing 2 dif brands .. This could be a prob for growers that buy the large "family size" bottle to refill the smaller . The 2 dif companies had the exact same labels,color bands, ect.. with the only dif being the brand(company) on the label. They really should make this known....

Good part is you figured it out without spending a kazillion bucks!

I think there's a bit of a myth about digital PH meters being tough to maintain, and always losing calibration.

I've had an Eco Tester digi for over 3 years now. I've never had to calibrate it, ever. I use it, rinse it off and put it away, that simple. No, I don't use storage solution or any of that. Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

Get yourself a digital meter. :thumb:

I have the same eco tester and have been using it every feeding for 2+ years. I do callibrate at least monthly but it has yet to need it, always comes up straight 7.0 with the callibration fluid.

I have the same eco tester and have been using it every feeding for 2+ years. I do callibrate at least monthly but it has yet to need it, always comes up straight 7.0 with the callibration fluid.

Nice! They are great meters. I have two friends that use the same meter with no issues. I've never had to calibrate mine either, always sits at 7 with the solution as well. The best part is, they don't cost a "kazillion bucks" either, lol.

Nice! They are great meters. I have two friends that use the same meter with no issues. I've never had to calibrate mine either, always sits at 7 with the solution as well. The best part is, they don't cost a "kazillion bucks" either, lol.

Got my eco meter locally for $60, after going through 4 Milwaukee $30 yellow meters in 6 months. The yellow ones ARE NOT waterproof, killed 2 within a week of them getting wet. Eco meters ARE waterproof ;)

Got my eco meter locally for $60, after going through 4 Milwaukee $30 yellow meters in 6 months. The yellow ones ARE NOT waterproof, killed 2 within a week of them getting wet. Eco meters ARE waterproof ;)

I've seen a few complaints on here about the cheap yellow Milwaukee's, but have to say, I've been using one for over 2 years and have not had a single problem with it. Granted I haven't tested to see if it's water proof lol. But then again why would you want to dunk the entire probe? Even if one claims to be water proof, that's a risk I wouldn't want to run. But as far as accuracy and reliability, mine's been rock solid. I've never had to calibrate it. Keep it clean, put the cap back on after every use, and it should serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom