City Council Votes To Put Hold On Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

The Standish City Council voted to put a six month moratorium on the issuance of permits for the dispensing of medical marijuana during their monthly meeting Thursday evening.

With both Council members Ed Reno and Jerry Nelson absent, the Council voted 6-0 on city ordinance 246, which will put a six month hold on permits for the dispensation of medical marijuana within city limits.

Though the drug was legalized for medicinal purposes in 2008, the Council wants to make sure that they have a chance to study the effects if the drug were allowed to be sold within city limits.

This was the second hearing on the subject, as they tabled it for a decision during their June meeting.

"I don't think we can keep it out of the city," said Doug Ireland.

City Manager Mike Moran answered Ireland, by saying that he believes that they can halt the sale of the drug, before Mayor Mark Winslow voiced his worries about the state law.

"It sure is a gray area. I have my worries," Winslow said about the legality of the decision. " This will allow us to (study) it."

Council member Clark Sanford voiced his opinion on the subject.

"That's what the forefather's did when they wrote the Declaration of Independence," Sanford said about the moratorium. "It's better to be safe than sorry."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Arenac County Independent
Author: Kevin Drescher
Copyright: 2010, Arenac County Independent

Back
Top Bottom