City To Re-examine Pot Shop Regulations

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Medical marijuana dispensaries in Santa Barbara will go under the microscope again after city leaders agreed to take another look at recently approved regulations for dispensaries following complaints about illicit activity and illegal operations.

The city’s ordinance committee will examine police statistics and consider a cap on the number of pot shops in any particular section of town, in addition to looking into stricter security requirements following a unanimous vote of the council.

“I’m a strong supporter of the medicinal use of marijuana, but there are some issues that we are struggling with,” Mayor Marty Blum said.

Beyond the conflicting state and federal laws on medical marijuana use, she said dispensaries should be operating as nonprofit, caregiving institutions under lawful recommendations from doctors.

“I’m not seeing all of that,” the mayor said.

Councilmember Dale Francisco, who joined the mayor to bring the item to the agenda, said he has received an array of complaints from citizens about dispensaries currently operating in the city, as well as the potential for more popping up in their neighborhoods.

“I’m concerned that these things may end up too close to schools or too close to other educational enterprises,” he said.

City leaders had already placed operational and locational restrictions on pot shops through an ordinance approved last year, and four dispensaries have since applied for a permit.

But illegal dispensaries have appeared in areas that already have legal shops operating. The council heard from one Eastside homeowner who said she would have five dispensaries within walking distance should several in the pipeline receive approval.

While she has no problem with the medical use of marijuana, the homeowner said she is concerned about the growing number of pot shops in her neighborhood, especially considering the fact that the city of Oakland reportedly has a total of four dispensaries.

“This is nuts,” she said. “How many do we need?”

Blum recommended placing a cap on certain neighborhoods and considering an overall cap for the entire city. She also asked that a committee look into establishing fees to recover any costs the city incurs through the permit process.

In addition to those aspects, the ordinance committee will also take a look at police statistics around legal and illegal dispensaries, as well as reexamining proximity to schools and educational facilities.

Councilmember Das Williams also sent a clear message to law enforcement officials to crack down on illegal dispensaries, in addition to asking that the ordinance committee discuss onsite security.

“This should not be a hangout spot,” he said. “This should be a place where people get medicine.”

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Daily Sound
Author: ERIC LINDBERG
Copyright: 2009 NODROG Publications, LLC and The Daily Sound
Website: Daily Sound ? City to reexamine pot shop regulations

It is refreshing to see a Municipal Government with an open mind and a sensible approach.

May we see more of our elected officials take a proactive position.

as pro medicine as i am i do agree littering any city with dispensaries and having them as hang out spots would be annoying to leave near. I wouldn't mind separate shops like hookah bars but not filled with derryls. Just keep them limited or something. At least we don't have any in Northern Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom