Clones: When to and when not to

jaybirde456

420 Member
Hi all,
new to this all my quwstion is can I take cuttings for clones in the flowering stage or only in the veg stage have looked hi & low for the awnser ,but cant find it
thxs,Jay

Hi all,
new to this all my quwstion is can I take cuttings for clones in the flowering stage or only in the veg stage have looked hi & low for the awnser ,but cant find it
thxs,Jay
Have you read the tutorial here about how to clone?
Your question is so basic that I wonder if you have ... you gotta do that.
Follow the directions carefully, this is one procedure that requires accuracy and attentiveness.

But, to answer your question: take cuttings off of a healthy female plant that is NOT in flower.

Hi @jaybirde456 and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
further info:
You can take a clone from a flowering plant. The cutting then has to take an additional 5-7 days to switch to veg mode before it can throw out roots, so a flowering clone takes roughly twice as long to resolve as a cutting from a vegging plant. It can be done though, and I just processed 9 new cuttings doing exactly this, and am about to do 4 more. I recommend using a bubble cloner so you can easily keep the cuttings alive during this extended process, and if you look in my links and tutorials, I have a DIY on how to build a $10 bubble cloner that will give you around a 99% success rate.
Good luck!
Emmie

emilya,
can you send me the link for the bubble cloner have looked for a hour cant find it not great with a computer or searching

thanks Jay

I always advise newbies to start out with 'easy' in mind.
A phenotype that is 'easy'; pm and bug resistant, hardy.
Purchase a clone, or seed.
Easy.

If newbie wants to learn cloning: start easy.
Healthy, non flowering female of a phenotype that clones easy.
Rockwool cubes.
Easy.

It is generally accepted that a student should learn Math before taking Calculus.

When you come to a place like this there are literally hundreds of years of experience. We do things differently, and there is more than one way to grow this plant; and we forget when we were newbies.

I would advise you against getting off track and get into building your own bubble cloner. It's not an easy system to learn. Instead of using your time to build something ... learn something. Plant a plant.

Find a tutorial here on how to clone. Use rockwool cubes; kill a few plants (it's gotta happen).
Get started.

I always advise newbies to start out with 'easy' in mind.
A phenotype that is 'easy'; pm and bug resistant, hardy.
Purchase a clone, or seed.
Easy.

If newbie wants to learn cloning: start easy.
Healthy, non flowering female of a phenotype that clones easy.
Rockwool cubes.
Easy.

It is generally accepted that a student should learn Math before taking Calculus.

When you come to a place like this there are literally hundreds of years of experience. We do things differently, and there is more than one way to grow this plant; and we forget when we were newbies.

I would advise you against getting off track and get into building your own bubble cloner. It's not an easy system to learn. Instead of using your time to build something ... learn something. Plant a plant.

Find a tutorial here on how to clone. Use rockwool cubes; kill a few plants (it's gotta happen).
Get started.
Cloning is part of the skill set that must be gained when learning to grow cannabis. it is one of the basic skills and it is not calculus or rocket science...
There are many methods of cloning available to you and instead of getting frustrated trying to learn how to use many inferior methods of cloning, why not start out with the best? I get 99% success rate out of my bubble cloner.. it is a very easy system to use and learn. Building my bubble cloner takes 10 minutes, again not hard. Instead of planting one plant and learning from that, take 9 clones and successfully start brand new plants from them... talk about learning something! Or, go back to the dark ages and use rockwool... and kill a few. Learn about how hard it used to be before bubble cloners. lol

Cloning is part of the skill set that must be gained when learning to grow cannabis. it is one of the basic skills and it is not calculus or rocket science...
There are many methods of cloning available to you and instead of getting frustrated trying to learn how to use many inferior methods of cloning, why not start out with the best? I get 99% success rate out of my bubble cloner.. it is a very easy system to use and learn. Building my bubble cloner takes 10 minutes, again not hard. Instead of planting one plant and learning from that, take 9 clones and successfully start brand new plants from them... talk about learning something! Or, go back to the dark ages and use rockwool... and kill a few. Learn about how hard it used to be before bubble cloners. lol
I remember when I was in college.
I would always 'interview' fellow students about professors.

Had a nice Asian lady tell me once, "Oh yea, he's a great professor. Good all the way."
I took the class and found him to be awful. Would not take questions, lectured on subjects that were not tested, but tested on subjects that were not lectured.
Struggled through that Calculus class.

Learned then that one persons "great" was not necessarily another's.

Personally, I can not use a bubble cloner. I have tried. Really. I find them to be labor intensive and very unforgivable of mistakes.

But, hey, to each his/her own. We're all different.

I can only use the 'dark ages' methods and get similar % results as you do with the bubble cloner.

So, OP: Emi is a very experienced grower. So am I.
We don't agree. Neither one of us is 'wrong'.
Choose your path and get started.
Buy a seed, buy a clone. Get it in dirt. Get growing.
When it's big enough and still in veg, clone it and learn - but get your meds growing.
Priorities.

Hi all,
thxs,Jay
Here is three trays, about 400 babies ... Gorilla Glue and Williams Wonder. Put up on the 29th.
1.jpg

Just starting to show roots. In five days those will be white with roots.

0.jpg

You can take a clone from a flowering plant.
I have never done this ... but I'm gonna.
Your post reminded me that I want to try this "monster plant'' method of cloning.
I found some good info on-line about doing it, and I have a room of Gorilla Glue that is about two weeks into flower (bud set), and I will take some cuttings today.
The article I saw said to remove the flowers from the start, except for the apex flower. Didn't say why ... but, ok.

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Maybe I'll take pix's of each step ... including what the 'monster girls' look like in the room.

Back
Top Bottom