Clones?

Santurro99

Is it possible to take a clone from plant and grow that clone as a mother plant? Basically, take a clone, flower that plant, grow clone and take clones from the original clone? Someone told me that it lowers potency. Is this true?

Hey San, I work exclusively from clones. Yes, clones become mothers. However, rather than keep a mother and all that it entails, I let the plant/clone grow to around 16-20 inches or so and then cut the bottom branches for my next clones. I prefer a clean stalk from soil level (I'm a soil grower) up around 6inches or so which makes these lower (what I refer to as sucker branches) ideal clone prospects and these particular branches, if allowed to remain, dont usually dont do well anyway during the plant's lifespan because they are shielded from sufficient light for the most part. If you wait long enough you can get several cuttings/clones from each branch due to the fact that while the plant is still relatively small, these branches grow rapidly because of less light obstruction.

i dont work off a mother plant simply because the smaller plants keep me supplied with cuttings/clones as I described and root/grow with no problems. When the clone gets around 3 to 4 ft, I flower it but have already taken clones from it. I then simply repeat the process. Works for me however, clone vendors who just sell/provide clones only, usually have to keep several or more mothers in order to maintain a sizable and ongoing clone volume/supply.

BTW, there are those who say it's not a good idea to keep a mother for too long (6months or so) because it becomes susceptable to disease & bugs due to being whacked on all the time. A personal call I guess. In turn, it should also be noted that when you do finally decide to flower the mother/donor, yields can/will be considerable less simply because the 'ol gal is just flat worn out from all the abuse if cuttings are taken over a long period of time on a regular basis.

If you are working with good strains, loss of potency generally doesnt happen, but that's my experience. I think it is the consensus among most. Potency seems to be more effected with the growing techniques ie; nutrients, lighting, duration of grow etc. Hope this helps... peace n good luck MF

There's a lot of superstition and old wive's tales in growing/gardening.

Simple fact is that what happens to a plant after you start it makes a hell of a lot more difference than what happened before. You can clone a plant once or a million times and the genes will still be the same genes.

Well put......that's why cloning works so good you add the age of the plant taking a clone and making it a mother, works great I have been doing it for 25 years just keep that cutting you took and keep it in lower light. I have grown the same cross cuttings to mother to cuttings for up to 3 years. You must keep the clones and mother plant at 18 to 24 hours of light. It all hinges on that.

Back
Top Bottom