Cutting & rooting a clone?

nikkiannb

How do u cut the clone? How do you get the clone to grow roots? Good morning to take a clone from my plant before I flower. But I don't want to hurt my plant or the clone I take. Can I get some step by steps on this from someone who is experienced, and can speak on the level of a first time grower/cloner. I'm growing indoors unknown strain/clone#1. I'm taking a clone from this plant not the original mother plant. But mother went on to do so well I'd be silly not to take one. I'm growing as a hobby and for personal use. I love to grow gardens outdoors and in, and smoke, I'm older and kids r grown so I thought why not grow my own. I learned real fast marijuana is not like anything I've ever grew before. I've over watered, burned with nutrients. Had to re-pot twice cuz it had been potted in clay dirt from the ground in a 3 gallon flower pot, it was saturated with water wen I got it and almost suffocated and riot bound but I've pulled her thru she's getting stronger everyday. I think she's ready to flower and I want to take a clone today.
IMG_20210925_051930583.jpg

IMG_20210925_052358947.jpg

IMG_20210925_051907520.jpg

IMG_20210925_052351170.jpg

There are many different versions of clone tutorials on the forum. 420 member BLS is a great grower whom I trust - see post #100 in this link >>> Backlipslide Clone tutorial

Also suggest you find other tutorials here for same thing… I know @VirginGround has an amazing simple cut your clone and put in a dark sided cup with rinsed perlite and few inches of water method that’s pretty foolproof

few key points

1) clones do not need powerful lights - place them in the corner where lights are weak, clones do need light hours above 12 to stay out of flower

2) clones in cup of water do not require humidity domes, do not spray mist the cutting

3) but most other cloning methods do need a dome or baggie to keep rh high while cutting develops roots, spray mist water inside of dome not on plant itself. You’ve got to add fresh air into the dome then over time increase fresh air each day by leaving dome open for a longer duration

4) note items 2 and 3 above are opposite of each other choose 1 method but dont crossover

5) most remove excess leaves since she has no roots to keep all the foliage alive so how you cut the clone is significant

6) cloning gel or powder is important but there are other hacks to work around - most scrape some of the bark or outside stem of the cutting

7) it’s plant surgery so you & tools gotta be sterile clean…. no dull shit it’s gotta be razor sharp to make 45 degree cut

best of luck…!!!

How do u cut the clone? How do you get the clone to grow roots? Good morning to take a clone from my plant before I flower. But I don't want to hurt my plant or the clone I take. Can I get some step by steps on this from someone who is experienced, and can speak on the level of a first time grower/cloner. I'm growing indoors unknown strain/clone#1. I'm taking a clone from this plant not the original mother plant. But mother went on to do so well I'd be silly not to take one. I'm growing as a hobby and for personal use. I love to grow gardens outdoors and in, and smoke, I'm older and kids r grown so I thought why not grow my own. I learned real fast marijuana is not like anything I've ever grew before. I've over watered, burned with nutrients. Had to re-pot twice cuz it had been potted in clay dirt from the ground in a 3 gallon flower pot, it was saturated with water wen I got it and almost suffocated and riot bound but I've pulled her thru she's getting stronger everyday. I think she's ready to flower and I want to take a clone today.
IMG_20210925_051930583.jpg

IMG_20210925_052358947.jpg

IMG_20210925_051907520.jpg

IMG_20210925_052351170.jpg
Hello @nikkiannb hope your having a good day.
Here is a tutorial on cloning and potting, all the basics to get your veg room flying.
Do you have a journal yet we can follow?

Stay safe
Bill

By far the easiest way I found is as follows:

Get a small 5 gal tub with lid, cut some 2 inch holes in it, and get some 2 inch netpots. Also get a 200l/h airpump and circular 3 inch airstone. You can improvise domes by cutting up water bottles and putting the lower half upside down over your cuttings. Fill the tub with water till it touches the netpot, and put the airstone in. No pH adjustment or nutes required.

As for taking the cutting and preparing it: find a healthy branch, and cut it 3 nodes below the top, just below the 3rd node, for a total length of about 4 to 5 inches. Put in a glass of water for half an hour to let her get used to the new situation. Then cut it just below the second node, and strip any growth on that node. Cut the remaining leaves in half, put a de-makeup cotton swab on the bottom of that netpot and balance your clone in it. Put in cloner.

Put an improvised dome on top, and a CFL bulb above it, and wait for 2 weeks. If you use a rooting agent, you usually have roots in a week.

Its probably a good idea to use alcohol on your materials before cutting, but I have never done so and they root just fine. Let her grow some roots before adding clay pebbles. (I prefer to not add those till I have roots, so as to expose the stem to more of the airstone splatter and prevent wilting) As the stem is resting on a soaked cotton swab, that should not be a problem, but it doesnt matter much either.

This gives you very small cuttings that are easy to manage. If you prefer them a bit bigger, cut them just above the 4th node, and use the 3rd node for rooting. You can make them even bigger, if you have a mother plant, that would probably make sense, but if you take a cutting right before switching to flower, I prefer to take the small stuff below, that isnt going to produce a lot of bud anyway.

You dont have to spray, tend or do anything beyond taking a cutting an placing it in there with this method.
Edit: the first page of my clone journal gives an idea about the clone size and situation. I use custom printed holders now, as its even easier :)

Back
Top Bottom