Cloning?

Craigo1

I'm on my first attempt at cloning. I took a few clones off my plants right before they went to 12/12. They've been in a power cloner for about 2 weeks +. They are starting to show some roots but the tops look dead. Is this normal? If so... how can I promote top growth?

Cloning is the second most stressful time for a plant. The first being harvest ... (a word we don't say around the girls.)

If they are showing roots, they should not be in the cloner. As soon as roots show put them in your medium and 'feed' with plain water only for the first week, then slowly start adding nutes until they are two weeks in medium then go to full strength. Don't let them get dry at this point. If they dry, they die.

If the tops are curling and turning brown check for bugs. Spider mites LOVE fresh babies. Tender and juicy babies are a treat, and they will kill a clone plant in a few days.

Also, check your lights. Babies don't need a lot of light. A CFL about 12 inches away is plenty.

Remember ... these are BABIES. Do you have children? When you brought your brand new bouncy baby home from the hospital, did you set her down to a steak dinner, then put her out on a blanket in the sun in the summer for three or four hours? Of course you didn't. Babies are not just small adults. They are much more fragile.

You have to coax life out of a start. Watch for the spark of life and then gently nurture it into a raging fire.

Cloning is as much an art as a science. It took me a long time to learn this. I approached cloning as a recipe, and it is much more than that. I have to admit that I don't use cloning machines. I have one, and I've used it (or, it's used me). I don't like em. That's just my own experience and prejudice speaking - lots of cloners have lots of success with them ... just not me.

Good luck, keep growing. Cloning is a great experience.
It makes me feel good to bring life where there was none before.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom