Closet Ventilation - Uitilizing Existing Hole?

Growheart

Hi all, have a question on ventilation that is probably somewhat unique so am starting its own thread. You can follow the journal linked in my sig.

Having a bit of a temperature problem now that the 2nd 125W CFL light is secured, has been increasing daytime temps w/ door closed up to 84 F, from avg 78-80 w/ one light. Going to need to invest in an exhaust fan, and possibly a smaller / easier to move and position circulation fan than the big stand-mounted one currently in there.

The good news on circulation is... there is already an 8" circular hole cut into the ceiling, that was discovered after 2 weeks growing in there, when the cover-up plaster gave way and poof a hole appeared. Not sure what this hole is there for or was used for before this... But I have my guesses - pretty ironic if someone else already used this closet to grow!

I won't get into specifics of my place of residence, but let's just say it is not a detached house.

1stgrow-Flower_Day28_031.jpg

Looking left

1stgrow-Flower_Day28_021.jpg

Looking straight

1stgrow-Flower_Day28_031.jpg

Looking Right

So as you can see it is connected to the roof of the entire building through column structures. Very old building. So far as I can tell, there are no other vents up there. But I will definitely need to add some sort of filter before installing an exhaust fan there. Smell has not been an issue thus far, as the entire building has a very dank smell in the hallways, that plus pet smells, cooking, cigarettes, and lots of pot smoking, seem to mask anything else so far.

:thanks: in advance for any advice or input. Keep in mind on a tight budget here until harvest time. :peacetwo:

Re: Closet Ventilation - Uitilizing Existing Hole ?

i get a headache from lookin at those damn pictures! i dont know what it is..... mere confusion? hahaha ummm........ hey Grow, if it aint too much trouble i wana see what the hole looks like from ground view and like slowly move up to it hahahaha.....

dude.... why so damn productive?? lol making me wana make some moves!! haha!

"goodluck: Grow! ill be watchin... youalready know...

Growheart: Sorry to pick, but your looking left and looking right pics are the same pic :scratchinghead: lol but tell me, is the air cooler up there?... if its COOLER then shit id bring air IN from that into your area... if its not or its the same, fuck it pump air into it bro. if there's a lot of budsmoke in your building, maybe no one will notice?... idk i live on the edge a lil :headbanger: but i'd def take advantage of that lol

That hole is more valuable than you think... since there's insulation up there, means its probably cooler air (maybe not quite yet, but winter time come?) so you could cool the hell out of your grow area which is DEF good thing!! HEAT is my most common adversary.....

Good Luck! and +reps if i can for taking initiative on the idea bro

-O

Growheart: Sorry to pick, but your looking left and looking right pics are the same pic :scratchinghead: lol but tell me, is the air cooler up there?... if its COOLER then shit id bring air IN from that into your area... if its not or its the same, fuck it pump air into it bro. if there's a lot of budsmoke in your building, maybe no one will notice?... idk i live on the edge a lil :headbanger: but i'd def take advantage of that lol

That hole is more valuable than you think... since there's insulation up there, means its probably cooler air (maybe not quite yet, but winter time come?) so you could cool the hell out of your grow area which is DEF good thing!! HEAT is my most common adversary.....

Good Luck! and +reps if i can for taking initiative on the idea bro

-O

Hey Odorous, just realized your right about the pics - too late to edit oh well you get the idea though! I must have read your post subliminally because last night before even seeing this I taped my temp/hygro on a stick put it up that hole, the night lows were 63-64 F with max 55% humidity !! And at plant level it was 71, so I am thinkin its going to be an intake!! Good call.

Though, in the summer, when the sun hits the roof it could easily be hotter up there but by then my setup will have changed quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback dude, tomorrow I am going to see what kind of cheap / free fans I can get my hands on.

sounds like a plausible intake, but what are your plans for an exhaust now ? one is usless without the other.

prolly' be a good idea to keep an eye on temp and RH up there for a few days at least...

for a budget grow those dual window fans with built in dial thermostats can be sweet.

i get a headache from lookin at those damn pictures! i dont know what it is..... mere confusion? hahaha ummm........ hey Grow, if it aint too much trouble i wana see what the hole looks like from ground view and like slowly move up to it hahahaha.....

dude.... why so damn productive?? lol making me wana make some moves!! haha!

"goodluck: Grow! ill be watchin... youalready know...

It was just one of those weekends dude, my roommate and I got together, :roorrip: , and the ideas just started flowing. He hasn't really been too into the grow, until the last few weeks now that the flower show has started.

intake-outtake1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom