COBs - DIY or buy?

25 cobs plus heatsinks and drivers is expensive. At this point in the game you could look into Samsung or Bridgelux LED strips. This would be a much cheaper build with much more flexibility, heat management, and light coverage. Do yourself a huge favor and look up DIY Bridgelux or Samsung LED strip builds. MID power LEDs are just as effective as COBS, but better coverage, simpler builds, more flexibility with supplemental lighting, etc...

25 cobs plus heatsinks and drivers is expensive. At this point in the game you could look into Samsung or Bridgelux LED strips. This would be a much cheaper build with much more flexibility, heat management, and light coverage. Do yourself a huge favor and look up DIY Bridgelux or Samsung LED strip builds. MID power LEDs are just as effective as COBS, but better coverage, simpler builds, more flexibility with supplemental lighting, etc...

A million thanks for the tip. I was beginning to have concerns on the rising cost. Not to mention heat that going to be created.

Going to check em out

Yea shipping costs are an issue when it comes to heatsinks, drivers, aluminum framing, etc. There are companies with much better DIY LED options than cobs.

IP for this DIY is 00 ... LED COB's are made from silicone and all of small flying dust will stick to them, and thats bad for those chip lifetime and also for efficiency!!!

Hopefully it isn't an issue in the tent

Water maybe no, but small dust for sure you will have in grow tent. And if you ever hold those led chips in hand then you know that silicon in top of them is very sensitive. For this chips glass lenses is needed 100%. Maybe you lose some 5-10% of power, but get more liftemie for some 40% for sure

Yes of course. For this set nice price is because they don't use glass lenses. Good ones is not cheapest but lifetime... if you have no problem to change leds once maybe twice a year then this isn't a problem.

420-magazine-mobile268360417.jpg

No I'm here to they do lenses)) I'm just saying that led chip lifetime will be for 40% longer if you will use lenses. Those lens have 120 degrees angle so, you need to decide what is more important for you led lifetime or reflector...

Back
Top Bottom