COBs - DIY or buy?

I think I have made my mind up and will go with this one in the next week or so

420-magazine-mobile346176726.jpg

You can easily use all the parts they list as your guide and source them yourself. The extra savings would allow you to purchase more LEDs.

Time is of the essence, I just don't have the time that I would like to do all the things I want to do around the house, especially working 10 to 12 hours a day. I think at the most, a savings of what, $100? Chasing a two and four-year-old around doesn't help much either

Time is of the essence, I just don't have the time that I would like to do all the things I want to do around the house, especially working 10 to 12 hours a day. I think at the most, a savings of what, $100? Chasing a two and four-year-old around doesn't help much either

Yep right around that amount. Sounds like the time savings will be of more value than the money in your situation haha
Seems a bit underpowered for a 4x4 though. Do you plan on supplementing with any additional light sources?

Yep right around that amount. Sounds like the time savings will be of more value than the money in your situation haha
Seems a bit underpowered for a 4x4 though. Do you plan on supplementing with any additional light sources?

Yea I currently have two Galaxyhydro 300w fixtures in my 4x4, thinking about putting them on the outside of the COB fixture. Only used them for one grow, don't wanna throw them in the attic already!

Just ran across some lights, optic 4 cob led. Puts out 415w. Seems like a pretty good bang for your buck. Has four 50w cree cob chips, 64 supplemental diodes(Epistar and Bridgelux), green light, far red, built in timer. Seems nice. Anyone know anything about them?

In regards to the Optic 4 you mentioned you can buy them from the manufacturer at Sunplusled.com Pioneer 4 LED Grow Panel | LED Grow Lighting Manufacturer Since 2009|SunPlusLED they quoted me $240USD ( you may have to pay shipping so add an extra $60 just to make sure it could be less than that you will have to send them an email. It is the same light as the Optic 4 except the manufacturer calls it the Pioneer 4 have a look on their website it is exactly the same light if you put them side by side then you would not be able to tell them apart. A few people say they are different spectrum but that is not the case as they have identical spectrum and par maps. For what it is worth the Optic 6 was quoted to me at $340.
I would still go with the COB options but it never hurts to have another choice.... cheers

PS I just noticed Sunplus is a sponsor on this forum so you could ask them directly

in regards to the Optic 4 you mentioned you can buy them from the manufacturer at Sunplusled.com Pioneer 4 LED Grow Panel | LED Grow Lighting Manufacturer Since 2009|SunPlusLED

Looks like a pretty powerful LED panel. My only gripe is that, from the charts, it appears to have a bit of a hot spot directly under the center. If I had been the manufacturer, I might have sprung for enough extra case material to allow for a larger panel, so that I could move those four squared groupings of LEDs a bit farther apart. That'd both even out the distribution of light and reduce the hot spot.

BtW, SunPlus LED is one of our forum sponsors - and that seems like a great price for that unit. I'd buy one if I had the money.

Looks like a pretty powerful LED panel. My only gripe is that, from the charts, it appears to have a bit of a hot spot directly under the center. If I had been the manufacturer, I might have sprung for enough extra case material to allow for a larger panel, so that I could move those four squared groupings of LEDs a bit farther apart. That'd both even out the distribution of light and reduce the hot spot.

BtW, SunPlus LED is one of our forum sponsors - and that seems like a great price for that unit. I'd buy one if I had the money.

I agree with you about the hotspot they should invest in a larger box to disperse the light more evenly but it seems a lot of COB / Burple combos suffer from this problem. After writing my reply I amended it after I looked at the sponsors page and saw Sunplus listed :)
Cheers

Price and watts from wall?

My first blurple light claimed 300W, but really only pulled 176W from wall. Cheap LED manufacturers like to trick people. I was new!! Lol

I am currently working on putting a package together at rapid for my 5x5. Currently the plan is for 18 Cree COBs and two drivers at 480 watts each Should be just under 1k of COB watts. Thoughts anyone if that will be sufficient lighting to make a grow really shine (haha)

Lol mines a "300W" but it pulls about 135W. Good little light for $60. Got it on sale. The 250W citizen cob on timber pulls 250W at wall (I would assume running it @100%) has 120 par watts. Says it covers up to 3'x3'. Listed at $469 usd with frame, just gotta plug in.

I am currently working on putting a package together at rapid for my 5x5. Currently the plan is for 18 Cree COBs and two drivers at 480 watts each Should be just under 1k of COB watts. Thoughts anyone if that will be sufficient lighting to make a grow really shine (haha)

18 COB's in a 5x5?!? It's going to be glowing in there! Do you plan on running them soft?

18 COB's in a 5x5?!? It's going to be glowing in there! Do you plan on running them soft?

I thought 18 would be excessive as well. But looking at rapids 4x4 kit, it has 12 COBs so for 5x5, 18 seemed about right. It's my first adventure into COB after reading and researching them. I was using Advanced LED panels prior. The driver selected would be driving these pretty hard at 1400. It probably will be glowing hahah

I thought 18 would be excessive as well.

Excessive? For 25 ft.²? I thought one COB, consuming 50 watts, per square foot was considered to be the sweet spot in cannabis illumination these days. That'd be 25 COBs for a 5'×5' tent.

Excessive? For 25 ft.²? I thought one COB, consuming 50 watts, per square foot was considered to be the sweet spot in cannabis illumination these days. That'd be 25 COBs for a 5'×5' tent.

I see your point and have to agree. It does come out if ur doing the math that it should take 25 COBs in order to hit that sweet spot.

Now I am curious as to how many I need of the Crees running on 1400mA drivers

Yes 5@ 50W each. In a 4x4 but barely utilize 3x3. Just now finishing up my first grow, two Lemkn Walkers. Going for three this next round. Will supplement with the two 300W (true 135W) blurples I have. Come join my journal and I'll be sure to share it there

Yes 5@ 50W each. In a 4x4 but barely utilize 3x3. Just now finishing up my first grow, two Lemkn Walker OG. Going for three this next round. Will supplement with the two 300W (true 135W) blurples I have. Come join my journal and I'll be sure to share it there

I sure will join your journal. Send me a link?
I have 5 grows under my belt now. Mostly autos under Advanced LEDs and they have always done awesome.
Now that I've upgraded my tent I need a source for lights. Although I'm sold on LED the new tech of COBs has me super excited and I am ready to do it
My only concern is how much light / power / COBs I need to produce great yields as much as light can provide. The rest is up to my grow tech and practices.

Back
Top Bottom