Coco Buffering Question

defjamny

Greetings
I'm using coco for the first time . i want to prepare the coco for seedlings.
I have (advanced sensi grow a-b + bloom a-b) but not cal-mag though - can i pre buff the coco with advanced nutes instead of calmag ? if yes, how much of the recommended dosage do you think per litre or gal ?
thanks

thanks , i forgot to mention i have a normal brick of coco not premade for plants

Those need some serious care

Search here and Google it so you get it done correctly

unfortunately don't have a cal-mag - that's what im wondering about . want to know if i can use those nutes instead

First of all if you're using brick coco I suggest rinsing it.....not necessarily for salt, but for the dust. Brick coco contains a lot of powdery dust that can muck things up. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full with tap water.......put some coco in the bucket and swish it around a bit and scoop out what floats.......the crappy mud will sink to the bottom. I actually do 2 buckets and rinse it twice.

Calmag is best, but if you don't have it use bloom nutes at 1/4 strength pH'd to 6.0. Saturate your coco and let it sit overnight.

Good luck.

First of all if you're using brick coco I suggest rinsing it.....not necessarily for salt, but for the dust. Brick coco contains a lot of powdery dust that can muck things up. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full with tap water.......put some coco in the bucket and swish it around a bit and scoop out what floats.......the crappy mud will sink to the bottom. I actually do 2 buckets and rinse it twice.

Calmag is best, but if you don't have it use bloom nutes at 1/4 strength pH'd to 6.0. Saturate your coco and let it sit overnight.

Good luck.
the first part is true . but the second part bro , the whole idea of buffering coco before use is to get rid of Potassium and to absorb ca and mg , so i don't think bloom nutes work cuz they are the exact opposite

the first part is true . but the second part bro , the whole idea of buffering coco before use is to get rid of Potassium and to absorb ca and mg , so i don't think bloom nutes work cuz they are the exact opposite
Have you ever tried it?
I have.......and they work fine.

And what does exact opposite mean?

Have you ever tried it?
I have.......and they work fine.

And what does exact opposite mean?
didn't try it ,but i could send you the link (don't know if i can send other website's url here or not ) .Look HEre >>
''There are cation exchange sites in coco that will interfere with nutrition until they are buffered. The cation exchange sites in coco naturally come loaded with sodium (Na) and potassium (K) cations. However, the Na and the K are only weakly held to the exchange sites. In the presence of calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg), the sites will release their Na or K cations and lock onto the Ca or Mg. These processes are known as “cation exchanges”.

didn't try it ,but i could send you the link (don't know if i can send other website's url here or not ) .Look HEre >>
''There are cation exchange sites in coco that will interfere with nutrition until they are buffered. The cation exchange sites in coco naturally come loaded with sodium (Na) and potassium (K) cations. However, the Na and the K are only weakly held to the exchange sites. In the presence of calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg), the sites will release their Na or K cations and lock onto the Ca or Mg. These processes are known as “cation exchanges”.
I'm fully aware of the cation exchange capacity.......still doesn't change the fact that I have pre-charged coco with bloom nutes without issue.

Have a nice day. :)

Back
Top Bottom