Coco nutrient questions

Seaweed Farms

Just curious as to what all you coco growers use for nutrients. I've been researching some coco specific nutrients and it seems there is either a problem with coco in how nutrients are fed to the plants or a very big marketing strategy to sell more nutes.

So my question is: Do you need to buy supplemental nutrients when growing with coco (outside of calMag) or will a simple part A&B be sufficient?

Sent from my VS985 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Coco hydro organic - Easy & cheap - Water daily

I have been following the above. I am growing in a Hempy bucket and started to water every other day. Just make sure to flush your coco first, get the PH down. PH your water when you feed and check the runoff. I think most expensive fertilizers are best case overpriced or worst, just a scam at least for the beginning to moderately experienced growers. My guess is, Master Growers know how to get the most out of all of the stuff on the market today but not me.

Coco hydro organic - Easy & cheap - Water daily

I have been following the above. I am growing in a Hempy bucket and started to water every other day. Just make sure to flush your coco first, get the PH down. PH your water when you feed and check the runoff. I think most expensive fertilizers are best case overpriced or worst, just a scam at least for the beginning to moderately experienced growers. My guess is, Master Growers know how to get the most out of all of the stuff on the market today but not me.
Great suggetion, but this thread doesn't follow what I'm trying to do closely enough. It is my guess that genHydro part A&B will be sufficient but, I wanted some other people's opinion.

Ok the key with Coco I was told is they make it cleaner no floaties due to feeding methods...(drain to waste, autofeeding etc) I was using General Hydro for a long time and I recently switched to Cutting edge solutions. Gh has a few floaties but it wasn't an issue for me. CES is much cleaner with no floaties and about as cheap as it comes... All of the nutes out there really have about the same stuff in them. Read up on what the plant needs and you can even use non cannibus line ups.. Hope some of this helped...

:peace:

FE

Ok the key with Coco I was told is they make it cleaner no floaties due to feeding methods...(drain to waste, autofeeding etc) I was using General Hydro for a long time and I recently switched to Cutting edge solutions. Gh has a few floaties but it wasn't an issue for me. CES is much cleaner with no floaties and about as cheap as it comes... All of the nutes out there really have about the same stuff in them. Read up on what the plant needs and you can even use non cannibus line ups.. Hope some of this helped...

FE
Definitely helpful, if nothing else it just reasures the knowledge I already have.

Hi, I'm growing with coco and haven't had any problems with General Hydroponics Flora Series, with CaliMagic.

Here's the nute schedule I'm using for coco/perlite mix. I feed every day, and do a flush and feed on the weekend instead of a just water every other day. I also keep ph between 5.6-5.8 (5.8 being the sweet spot)

2016-07-16.png

:goodluck:

Hi, I'm growing with coco and haven't had any problems with General Hydroponics Flora Series, with CaliMagic.

Here's the nute schedule I'm using for coco/perlite mix. I feed every day, and do a flush and feed on the weekend instead of a just water every other day. I also keep ph between 5.6-5.8 (5.8 being the sweet spot)

2016-07-16.png

:goodluck:
Any reason to feed everyday? I was planning on doing the 3 day pattern day 1 feed day 2 water only day 3 nothing. Have you had success with this? I feel like feeding every day would lead to build up and wasting nutes.

You can water it like a soil plant but you won't get the benefits of hydro, which is what coco is considered, a soilless medium falls under a hydro medium. I was watering my plants like soil and wasn't getting as good of results as I am now. I was told water coco up to several times a day. Though I just do not have time for that, and don't have a recirculating system to do it. But now I'm watering every day, with a bit of run off, that will prevent build up, then I do a flush and feed on the wknd every 7-8 days, and its working out great. Do some search on watering coco medium, and you will see people water it like crazy. If you choose to water it like a soil, only when it dries out a bit, then you're going to get slow results like soil.

I was only feeding them every other day myself, and was asked why are you starving her every other day. Which was a good question. You want to feed them until they let you know it's enough. There is no reasonable reason to starve them regularly.

You can take a look at my journals, and see I was feeding them like soil and starving them, then I went to feeding every day and not starving them and they took it great. Actually if you notice I have leaf pics before I switch to feeding them everyday and they were starting to get deficiencies, then the minute I was feeding them every day dark lovely leaves.

Here's Emilya's thread on The Proper Way to Water a Plant. Please start at the beginning to read and learn what she states, but I'm giving you the link from where I started asking questions regarding watering coco, that might be helpful. It was for me.

You can water it like a soil plant but you won't get the benefits of hydro, which is what coco is considered, a soilless medium falls under a hydro medium. I was watering my plants like soil and wasn't getting as good of results as I am now. I was told water coco up to several times a day. Though I just do not have time for that, and don't have a recirculating system to do it. But now I'm watering every day, with a bit of run off, that will prevent build up, then I do a flush and feed on the wknd every 7-8 days, and its working out great. Do some search on watering coco medium, and you will see people water it like crazy. If you choose to water it like a soil, only when it dries out a bit, then you're going to get slow results like soil.

I was only feeding them every other day myself, and was asked why are you starving her every other day. Which was a good question. You want to feed them until they let you know it's enough. There is no reasonable reason to starve them regularly.

You can take a look at my journals, and see I was feeding them like soil and starving them, then I went to feeding every day and not starving them and they took it great. Actually if you notice I have leaf pics before I switch to feeding them everyday and they were starting to get deficiencies, then the minute I was feeding then every day dark lovely leaves.

I wasn't suggesting watering/feeding them like soil. I would think that they would burn with feeding everyday, but that style of feeding actually suits me better.

My plan now is to create a reservoir and have it feed/water 3 times a day on a timer. So I would mix the nutrients in the res and let it feed/water them 3 times a day for 6-7 days, the reservoir can go 7 days without cleaning/refilling so every time I clean the reservoir I'll flush them. Does this sound like what you are trying to describe? If not, what would you change?

Usually when people don't water everyday it's for soil, because they're waiting for the soil to dry a bit for oxygen to get to the roots. Though with coco you can very quickly dry out the roots which would not be good.

If you're going to do a recirculating system, this might help.

Here's a nute schedule for recirculating system. It mentions fresh water (ph water) until you have to change the water. I'm doing this schedule for my Aurora Indica I just started. So I don't have any experience with this system yet to comment on it's efficiency. Sorry.
Recirculating-Nutrient-Schedule-custom.jpg

Any reason to feed everyday? I was planning on doing the 3 day pattern day 1 feed day 2 water only day 3 nothing. Have you had success with this? I feel like feeding every day would lead to build up and wasting nutes.

I am glad you asked this question, it is something I have been thinking about but it motivated me to research the answer. The answer I came across several times was to the effect of "When I water every day vs every other, my plants do better".

That seems like a pretty good answer, not real scientific but as good as any and better than most.

You can feed everyday, How much you feed is what you need to tweak to sustain them properly for an every day feeding. So the question doesn't need to be if you feed them every day or not, but how much can I feed them daily so they're healthy everyday.

Start your system the best way you can from what you have already learned or have in mind, then keep learning and paying attention to your plants to learn what they need every day. It's a weed they will thrive pretty easily in most conditions, but it's the tweaks you learn throughout your grow and why is what will make the difference each time. I'm very much about hands on learning. There isn't a lot of wrong way or right ways of doing stuff, it's all about what you like, what you can maintain what you have learned what your plant/strain needs. The only way to learn that is jumping in, paying attention to your plant daily, and ready to react when you notice a shift. Trust your gut. You're about to build a relationship with your plants, and the best way to do that, is LOTs of attention. She will communicate with you, but if you're not paying her attention daily, you're not going to recognize what she's saying.
:circle-of-love:

I am running drain to waste coco on auto feed once a day. I ran recirculating and just didnt like the chance to contaminate all the plants with an issue. I still get a week out of the res and it is a hell of alot easier to just clean it and fill.. no emptying. You just need to dial back the nutes if you want to feed three times a day. I use 5 gallon pots in flower and they get a good water with about 500 ppm feed..bennies... As long as in flower they are not dry in between waterings you will get good root results.. hydro like... Veg i like to dry them a little to let the roots spread and grow more. But still water daily automated once they reach a certain size...

I am no pro so read up as well.. others have it more perfected...

FE

I am running drain to waste coco on auto feed once a day. I ran recirculating and just didnt like the chance to contaminate all the plants with an issue. I still get a week out of the res and it is a hell of alot easier to just clean it and fill.. no emptying. You just need to dial back the nutes if you want to feed three times a day. I use 5 gallon pots in flower and they get a good water with about 500 ppm feed..bennies... As long as in flower they are not dry in between waterings you will get good root results.. hydro like... Veg i like to dry them a little to let the roots spread and grow more. But still water daily automated once they reach a certain size...

I am no pro so read up as well.. others have it more perfected...

FE
This is pretty close to what I had in mind. I definitely don't want recirculating. I figured if you figure out how many nutes your plant should consume in 7 days and only put amount in your res, then it shouldn't be a problem. Then after a week I would flush them out.

Usually when people don't water everyday it's for soil, because they're waiting for the soil to dry a bit for oxygen to get to the roots. Though with coco you can very quickly dry out the roots which would not be good.

If you're going to do a recirculating system, this might help.

Here's a nute schedule for recirculating system. It mentions fresh water (ph water) until you have to change the water. I'm doing this schedule for my Aurora Indica I just started. So I don't have any experience with this system yet to comment on it's efficiency. Sorry.
Recirculating-Nutrient-Schedule-custom.jpg
This is great info. Im snot to stay my first grow in coco. Im worried about doing the run of correctly.

Back
Top Bottom