Collectives Barred In Anderson

Jacob Bell

As expected, the Anderson City Council passed on a 4-1 vote for a land zoning ordinance prohibiting medical marijuana dispensaries, collectives and cooperatives within city limits at its Oct. 6 meeting.

Councilwoman Debe Hopkins was the lone dissenter on a motion made by James Yarbrough, seconded by Vice Mayor Melissa Hunt and supported by Mayor Norma Comnick and John Day.

Passage of the ordinance caused Anderson resident Ellen Cote to protest the council's action.

"I had a lot of hope for you people. I had hoped that you would grow up. There are a lot of people who are hurting and who need legal access to medical marijuana," Cote said. "I am ashamed of you," she concluded, indicating the four council members who favored the ban.

The ordinance was first introduced Sept. 20. It will take effect in 30 days as an additional chapter in the city's municipal code.

However, a Shasta County Superior Court Judge could possibly find the ordinance unconstitutional under state law since California voters approved in 1996 the Compassionate Use Act, Proposition 215, that allows citizens with a doctor's recommendation to legally possess, use and grow marijuana for medicinal purposes even though the federal government prohibits any possession, use, cultivation or sale of the controlled substance.

A lawsuit seeking the judge's ruling and more than $25,000 in damages as well as attorney and court fees was filed Sept. 29 by an attorney hired by owners of The Green Heart.

abb8.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: andersonvalleypost.com
Author: George L. Winship
Copyright: The E.W. Scripps Co.

Back
Top Bottom