Comedian Brings High Times To Fairbanks

Doug Benson is a stoner. He's the first to admit it, but he has also turned his passion into a creative career as a stand-up comic, playwright and filmmaker.

Naturally (for him), his material focuses on marijuana, but in conversation from Denver earlier this week, Benson made it clear that he isn't a one-dimensional artist.

"People expect me to do things about pot in my shows. I also like to stress it's not only about pot, it's jokes about a lot of things. I talk about sex a lot, and alcohol gets in there too," Benson said with a laugh. "But it's definitely pot-fueled, it's where my inspiration comes from."

Benson's career began as something of a lark or, more accurately, as a dare. He was living in Los Angeles, hoping to make it as a writer for TV shows or movies. A few friends thought he'd make a good comedian and dared him to perform at a comedy club open mic night. Benson said he'd do it, but dared them to do it, too. One never showed up; the other signed up too late. Undaunted, Benson hit the stage and was happy with the response.

"I got a few laughs the first time I tried it, so I've been doing it ever since," he said.

Benson has been on VH1's "Best Week Ever" and NBC's "Last Comic Standing," but has received more recognition for his play "The Marijuana-logues," a spoof on the "Vagina Monologues." Right now, Benson is on the road promoting his Medical Marijuana Tour. The tour covers the 13 states with legalized medical marijuana laws, and he's doing it in 13 days.

Benson, who also is filming the tour, said he is doing more than just jokes; he has a message to promote.

"I think the point of the tour was to personally show my appreciation that 13 states in this nation have voted on it and legalized medical marijuana," he said. "It shines a light on the fact that there are so many states that haven't legalized it. Hopefully it will motivate people to do something about it in their states. Millions of people smoke at least once a month. Those are voters. Through my comedy shows it's great if I can get some laughs, but it is also to raise awareness. I think marijuana should be legalized."

While legal for medicinal purposes in those 13 states, marijuana use remains illegal on the federal and state level nationwide, and users – medicinal or otherwise – can still be busted.

Named "Stoner of the Year" by High Times magazine in 2006, Benson decided to see what the effects of being "constantly stoned" for a month would be. The result was the documentary "Super High Me."

The idea for the film initially came from "Super Size Me," the documentary about the effects of eating at McDonald's three times a day for a month. Benson said there were some logistical issues, and he was more worried about the month that he quit smoking prior to filming, "just to see what that was like," than he was about the large daily intake.

"Making sure I was maintaining the high and to always keep it going all day long (was the biggest challenge)," he explained. "It was a little bit of a challenge because I went about my normal life, which included travel. So when I went somewhere I had to time it just right. Like eating a cookie right before I got on the plane and then getting someplace where I could smoke as soon as I landed."

Tests conducted before and after the 30 days showed that following the stoned month, Benson's SAT scores and sperm count increased, as did his psychic abilities. He also gained eight pounds.

"Logistics of it were a little tricky," he continued. "I thought I might run out of pot quickly, but it never became an issue. Everywhere I go people give me pot. It's pretty cool. ...

"Uh, what was the question?"

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
Author: Glenn BurnSilver
Copyright: 2009 Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

Back
Top Bottom