Community Relieved Town Passed Marijuana Dispensary Moratorium

Weedpipe

420 Member
A number of Windsor residents say they can breathe a sigh of relief now that town officials have imposed a 75-day moratorium on new medicinal marijuana dispensaries.

That relief comes on the heels of a unanimous decision Wednesday night by the Windsor Town Board to enact the moratorium.
Windsor resident Hal Pearson explained why he believes passing a moratorium is a good thing.

"Yeah, I'm relieved," he said. "I don't like to see these medical marijuana shops in town and we don't need them. Unfortunately, a lot of crime is also associated with them."

Windsor School Board member Rick Klimek agreed.

"I think it's an excellent idea," he said of the moratorium.

"This will give the community a chance to provide some framework. It will also help to get a proper form of licensing to get it together and not to abuse it."

Superintendent of Schools Karen Trusler is also happy about the moratorium.
"The school district is pleased with the town's decision," Trusler said on Thursday. "The Town of Windsor is always focused on the needs of our students, and this moratorium shows their concern for all."

The moratorium will act as a freeze for new medical marijuana dispensaries wanting to open in town. Two dispensaries already open, In Harmony Wellness, 4630 Royal Vista Circle and A New Dawn Wellness Clinic, 520½ Main Street, will remain operable during the moratorium.

Greg Hatton, owner of A New Dawn Wellness, explained why a moratorium will be helpful in growing as a Windsor business.

"We're willing to go above and beyond to be a part of this community," he said.
Two of the six proposed dispensaries also felt having a moratorium in place was a good idea.

"We need to have more time to get this going and get these issues sorted out," said Eddie Trevino, owner of the proposed Nature's Med and Wellness Center. "We're in favor of the moratorium."

Vernon Thomas, owner of Nature's Wellness (a second proposed dispensary), agreed.

"I'm not necessarily opposed to a moratorium," he said. "We're trying to start a legal business and protect the town's integrity."

Windsor is not alone in passing moratoriums on these dispensaries. Fort Collins, Larimer County and Loveland have recently passed moratoriums. Greeley and Evans have barred dispensaries.

Windsor mayor and school board member John Vazquez could not be reached for comment

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Windsor Beacon
Author: Lisa Mehring
Copyright: Windsor Beacon
Website:Community relieved town passed marijuana dispensary moratorium

Back
Top Bottom