Compost from outdoors for indoor grow?

Cheffrey

Hello,

So I have a big compost pile that I throw veggie scraps in and carbon I try to keep it a 50/50 ratio. I layer it and flip it once in awhile.

Anyways I'm wondering if I should use outdoor compost pile for my indoor grow? Anything I should do, like letting ot dry out before bringing it indoor?
Maybe just start a indoor compost pile instead?
I have a wormbin starting soon for castings, would this be even better to use then compost or should I use both?

Thanks for your knowledge, I'm new to organics.

Your carbon/nitrogen ratio is off.

A lot of people will use compost from an outdoor pile for their indoor growing.

The way I see it the compost from a well built and maintained pile will have a fair amount of already digested organic material along with an equal amount of material that is still being composted or digested by the micro-organisms. The compost will contain water soluble nutrients along with a large amount of insoluble nutrients that will be available as the material decomposes some more.

Worm castings tend to be organic material that has been eaten by different types of earthworms. The worms digested the material and passed it though so it is sort of a "worm manure". It has a very good amount of water soluble nutrients and less insoluble. What it does have is a lot of the various micro-organisms that will eat and decompose the organic material in the compost.

A fair number of gardeners, and the companies that produce and then sell potting soils, deliberately mix worm castings in with their compost for that reason.

Not sure what you have in mind when you mention starting an indoor compost pile. Can you explain?

Good question Cheff! I can't get myself to do it though I grow LOS inside. I'm afraid to bring the wrong bugs in. Folks do, I don't for that reason. I might be silly because I have to wonder what conditions the castings I buy come from? Maybe someone can tell me why I should be more comfortable?

Back
Top Bottom