Concentrated Oil from Fresh Harvest

Dan Moore

Hi,
If this has already been posted, can you please direct me to it?
I'm going to attempt my first concentrated oil and I'm wondering if it is possible to use fresh weed, just chopped off the plant.
I hope to follow Jeff Ditchfields ultimate cannabis oil guide on youtube video for most of it.
I'll probably use 99% isopropanol and was thinking that I could mash it all into the iso and then strain off the liquid.( I might have to add a little water.

My intention was to then drive off most of the alcohol with my magnetic stirrer hotplate, before moving to a smaller beaker to drive the rest of the water and alcohol off, before doing the decarb for an hour in the beaker on the hotplate.
This extended time for the decarb should help drive all the iso out too.

Am I missing something or does this sound feasible?

Thanks,

It sounds feasible but not a fan of iso... I get that you are going to burn off the iso but I’d rather use 151 or food grade ethanol. So, with that said I’m kinda new to extractions but there are some talented growers, cooks & chemists on here. It’s not gonna hurt to wait a day or three anyway. Right now your fresh harvest is only shedding moisture so no worries... pay me now or pay me later on the decarb. But I get you may be trying to preserve terps with fresh harvest.

Maybe check in with Maritimer in this same concentrate / oil thread with his Exceptionally High FECO yields. Man is a wizard doing really cool work.

but take it slow and see what other replies come in.

It sounds feasible but not a fan of iso... I get that you are going to burn off the iso but I’d rather use 151 or food grade ethanol. So, with that said I’m kinda new to extractions but there are some talented growers, cooks & chemists on here. It’s not gonna hurt to wait a day or three anyway. Right now your fresh harvest is only shedding moisture so no worries... pay me now or pay me later on the decarb. But I get you may be trying to preserve terps with fresh harvest.

Maybe check in with Maritimer in this same concentrate / oil thread with his Exceptionally High FECO yields. Man is a wizard doing really cool work.

I've done the fresh harvest, pressure cooker method into olive oil a few times and like this, but have a friend who has requested a concentrate.
The olive oil just did not touch him.
Acetone is also an option and possibly safer. Grain ethanol is not really an option where I am. Nearly everything is denatured.
Maybe next summer I'll look to make my own ethanol.
Right now, I'm thinking of acetone or iso, unless someone can direct me otherwise.

Hi,
If this has already been posted, can you please direct me to it?
I'm going to attempt my first concentrated oil and I'm wondering if it is possible to use fresh weed, just chopped off the plant.
I hope to follow Jeff Ditchfields ultimate cannabis oil guide on youtube video for most of it.
I'll probably use 99% isopropanol and was thinking that I could mash it all into the iso and then strain off the liquid.( I might have to add a little water.

My intention was to then drive off most of the alcohol with my magnetic stirrer hotplate, before moving to a smaller beaker to drive the rest of the water and alcohol off, before doing the decarb for an hour in the beaker on the hotplate.
This extended time for the decarb should help drive all the iso out too.

Am I missing something or does this sound feasible?

Thanks,
Maybe freeze it first.

You can't cook off all the isopropyl alcohol and it is toxic and can be lethal. It's made from propane. Always use food grade ethanol alcohols.

Back
Top Bottom