Contactor for LEDs?

Doozy

Hi all, i know this might sound like an obvious question, but do i need a contactor to run 4 x 400w LED lights? (170-200w actual draw)

Everything i'm reading is stating 'needed for your ballasts' but as LEDs don't have ballast i thought i would ask.

I assume because they are still drawing a lot of power instantly the contactor is still needed. If this is the case can anyone recommend one that will be good for my lights. I was looking at either the Ecotechnics Powerstar 4 way, or the Maxibright Maxiswitch Pro 4 way...

Thanks in advance :)

ok im got confused I thought you meant contractor
I don't know what kinda contactor you are reffering to the led lights are plug and play
the wattage is not what should concern you as far as what I think your thinking about
its the amps draw I run 500 watts of led on the same circuit as 900gph airpump and a/c ad couple smaller dual airpumps
I hopt that helps you answer your question
all you need is a plug id use one with a gfci on it

I just googled the first one Doozy mentioned. All of the hits were from the UK. Are you from the UK Doozy? Anyway, they look like a timer with a power strip attached. If that is the case yes it would be beneficial. It seem like there should be a cheaper alternative though.

oh does he mean a timer? yea I got my lights on a power strip one side uses the timer the other side is always on

I just googled the first one Doozy mentioned. All of the hits were from the UK. Are you from the UK Doozy? Anyway, they look like a timer with a power strip attached. If that is the case yes it would be beneficial. It seem like there should be a cheaper alternative though.

Hi, sorry for taking so long to respond to this post.Yes i am from the UK and it seems as if contactors only really apply over here.

Essentially, a HIS start up load is enough to weld the contacts, as the micro switch in some timers are only rated at 3 amp. Therefor contactors are used to spread the load on start up (or at least that's what i gather from reading)

It looks like LEDs dont need a contactor as an LED panel doesn't have the heavy inductance/capacitance to supply and at switch on it will be a low load, because its microprocessor controlled it will have no output switched on and it should ramp up slowly.

That's what i have gathered so far anyway, i hope this helps anyone else in the UK wondering the same thing. Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong anyone, as i am no expert!

oh yea LED's are not like HID's
the definitely no warm up its like a regular light flick it on and off

Doozy- with only 1600 watts total, you shouldn't need a contactor. The power supply for some LED panels has quite a bit of surge current, so if you wanted to add a relay, it couldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom