Cottonwood Marijuana Dispensary Opens To Mixed Views

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A medical marijuana dispensary that opened here last week is being greeted with mixed views.

Several people are disturbed by its proximity to an elementary school while the Chamber of Commerce welcomes it as a new business.

The dispensary, called Your Cottonwood Collective, is at 3317 B Main St.

Only members of the collective can be customers and they must be physician-approved, business owner and six-year Cottonwood resident Matthew Mosher said.

"We also check to be sure the physician is legitimate," Mosher said. "Some places don't even do that."

The dispensary would hold the marijuana that members bring in to sell from their own medical marijuana plants, should anyone grow more than they can consume of their medical allotment, Mosher said.

"By law, we're not allowed to sell (marijuana), but we can facilitate transactions between members," Mosher said.

"I have mixed feelings," said Bill Price, who lives across Main Street from the dispensary. "If it's done truly for medical reasons, then I have no problems. If it's done as a guise to pass out dope, I do have a problem with it."

The business is directly behind Roger's Frosty and slightly more than two blocks away from East Cottonwood Elementary School. Business owner Jan Kessner, Roger's Frosty manager Debbie Lomont and others took issue with the dispensary's proximity to those establishments.

"The chamber welcomes new businesses, that's our position," Cottonwood Chamber of Commerce President Cheri Skudlarek said.

Medical marijuana dispensaries have not been singled out for specific zoning regulation by the county.

"Until directed by the Board of Supervisors ... we treat it like a pharmacy," said Rick Simon, assistant director of resource management for Shasta County.

"I don't think it needs to be in the community, out in front of kids. I would prefer they bought their marijuana in secret somewhere," Cottonwood Barber Shop owner Woody Clendenen said. "I knew some people that did this; there's nothing wrong with them. They're just stoners."

The legalization of medical marijuana use in California occurred with the passing of Proposition 215 in 1996.

"We the people voted for it," Mosher said. "It's been 14 years now. Counties have had ample time to make ordinances for it. It's time to wake up and get used to what the people want."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: redding.com
Author: Michael Woodward
Copyright: 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co.
Website: Cottonwood marijuana dispensary opens to mixed views Redding Record Searchlight

Back
Top Bottom