County Council Grills Police On Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Hawaii - A county meeting on the voter initiative that made marijuana possession by adults for personal use the lowest law enforcement priority was marked by a series of verbal pot shots.

Patience and tempers were thin at the outset, as the County Council committee meeting Tuesday night started more than 21/2 hours later than scheduled.

Last November, almost 58 percent of the isle's voters approved the "Peaceful Sky" law, which applies to adults on private property with 24 or fewer plants or its dried equivalent. Every private citizen who testified Tuesday urged police to stop eradicating marijuana.

"I would think that a voter initiative would carry more weight than a legislative initiative," said Blake Watson, who is awaiting trial on marijuana growing charges. " ... All they have to do to follow this law is to stop doing what they're doing."

Big Island police have flown three eradication missions this year, in late June, mid-August and mid-September.

"There was an expectation when this law was passed, and from the testimony that we're hearing, that expectation is not being met. And we've got to come to grips with that," said Hamakua Councilman Dominic Yagong, chairman of the Committee on Public Safety and Parks and Recreation.

"We are trying to comply with this ordinance," Police Chief Harry Kubojiri testified. "That is why on every eradication mission, we have our vice commander (Lt. Richard Sherlock) read this ordinance to every participating person, and we try to inform everyone what the parameters of this ordinance is until we get clarification from the (state) attorney general's office."

The requested opinion has been pending for months. County Prosecutor Jay Kimura reiterated his position that state and federal marijuana laws take precedence over the county ordinance.

"I would say that the ordinance itself has no effect on the state law," he said.

Kubojiri, Ferreira, Kimura and Deputy Corporation Counsel Brandon Gonzalez all stated they were sworn to uphold all state and federal laws. Gonzalez said backing off marijuana enforcement would be a "dereliction" of their oath.

Asked by Yagong if adults caught possessing marijuana below the county's legal limit are still prosecuted under state law on the Big Island, Kimura answered, "Yes."

The initiative directs the council to reject grants or funding earmarked for eradication. Deputy Police Chief Paul Ferreira said money for the latest aerial raids was supplied by two federal grants accepted before the law was passed. Yagong asked Ferreira how much eradication money remains.

"Sorry, I don't have the exact amounts, but the Statewide Marijuana Eradication grant was $53,000 and the Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program funds was $280,000," Ferreira said. "In last year's budget, the Statewide Marijuana Eradication grant was $159,000 before the budget decrease, and the line item for the Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program was $370,000. All we got from that grant was $280,000." He said the legal active period for both grants overlaps the county's past and current fiscal years.

Kona Councilman Kelly Greenwell said he ran for office to address the marijuana issue "both legally and morally."

"To say that marijuana is dangerous is about as foolish a statement as I could possibly imagine," Greenwell said. "To say that it is harmful is likewise foolish. The reason marijuana is illegal is that it would put the drug industry out of business if it were legal."

Greenwell said he's drafting "a resolution that would decriminalize marijuana."

"It's time the police department, quite frankly, get involved in some of the issues that are going on here," he said. "The number of rapes, the number of lost children, the amount of horror that goes on in the dark corners of this island need to be looked at. Chasing somebody who's smoking a goddamn cigarette made of marijuana is insane."

Ka'u Councilman Guy Enriques, who requested the discussion, apologized to the county's top cops and lawyers for having to "defend yourselves."

"That was not my intention at all," he said. "My intention was that you would enlighten us on your perspective of things. ... Mr. Greenwell, ... these guys are from the executive branch of the law and we're from the legislative branch. If you want to change the law, we're the ones who are going to have to do it."

Several, including Pualani Lindsey, noted the forced landing of a helicopter near her Pohoiki Road home on Oct. 2. Lindsey said the helicopter "flew so low that I could see the faces of the personnel in the cockpit." She said she complained to the Federal Aviation Administration and "was informed that under the law, if there was a tip or a suspicion of criminal activity that helicopters can fly low and are able to land on the property."

"Who gives these strangers the right to enter my property and peek into my windows?" she queried. "Am I dealing with a voyeur?"

Judith Mura testified the mechanic who worked on the downed chopper told her it was chartered by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, and that he later backed off and said Paradise Helicopters were flying "on their own."

Kubojiri said the copter was on a tour and not a police mission. Under questioning, he testified the DEA flies its own missions and receives "ground support" from local police, and the state Department of Land and Natural Resources flies missions, as well. The DLNR received a $475,000 DEA eradication grant in February.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: hawaiitribune-herald.com
Author: John Burnett
Copyright: 2009 Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Website: Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Archives > Local News > County Council grills police on marijuana

What a colossal waste of taxpayers money. If Marijuana was legal America would save a staggering amount of money. The US spends over 1 BILLION dollars a year to keep Americans in jail for smoking pot. If Marijuana was legal and taxed it would be a revenue GAIN versus a Revenue DRAIN....

Kubojiri said the copter was on a tour and not a police mission. Under questioning, he testified the DEA flies its own missions and receives "ground support" from local police, and the state Department of Land and Natural Resources flies missions, as well. The DLNR received a $475,000 DEA eradication grant in February.

Again, the vote of the people of the County of Hawaii have been lied to. It has never made any sense to anyone out here this year why so many
"Cannabis Eradcation Missions" have been flown, and are still being flown, well the extra $475K from the DLNR never was in the budget so to speak as it was related by the Police Chief etc.. on down the line. They hid this from the people in the
"Department of Land & Natural Resource" budgets, and are just now getting caught.

It did and could not make fiscal responsibility in what they were reporting to the citizens of the Big Island Hawaii in trying to justify the unrelentless missions of Cannabis Eradication.
Mr. Kelly Greenwell has it right on in standing up and literally voicing the opinion of thousands on this Island.

I urge any visitor that comes to Hawaii or any resident that takes a Helicopter tour to immediately avoid using " Paradise Helicopters". On all Islands.

I ask all citizens from Hawaii who read this to immediately demand the removal and termination of any and all DLNR emolyees or supervisors who are involved in making or did make any of these decisions to accept and allocate funds for Cannabis Eradication and work side by side with the DEA. Please write and state those reasons to your local representitive.

All Ka'u county residents must recall "Ka'u Councilman Guy Enriques. He speaks with a forked tounge, and is unable to represent the people faithfully of his district.

On September 18th a picture was sent in of one of the choppers flying in South Kona below 500 feet, this is one of a thousand that many other residents can attest to. On October 2nd the choppers here were at 3-500 feet level above my property. 4 acres above us 2 areas were seized by the choppers. The plants were being grown on Vacant property, next to a house with legitimate Medical Cannabis. Those plants were not touched at all. Just the ones on the vacant acreage.
The fact though that the every 2 weeks of flying was costing more than what they said they had to do this with, & it has irked so many people on Hawaii. It now comes to light as why they did have "More Money" than reported, to fly more Cannabis Eradication" mission with.

They have screwed with some and definately left the big ranches alone again, as for many years these ranches have produced hundreds of thousands of pounds of cannabis collectively for off island distribution. It is getting harder for the police, dea, and organized crime syndicates (Hui) to be hiding their decades long of collaborations.

Hawaii will always grow great tropical herbs be it an Indica a Sativa or Cross.
There are thousands here dedicated to make sure that it will continue to do so.

Imagine that, the HI County Govnmnt doing what it wants and going against the will of the voters, just like the 2% for open spaces... that is no longer.

Not to hard to figure out why I*ce is a pandemic and crime against residents and tourists is out of control.

Back
Top Bottom