DC medical marijuana law

Shashamene

By SHERRI LY/myfoxdc

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Congress finally lifted the ban on D.C.'s medical marijuana law. Now, the city council must decide how to sell the drug and who can get it. Those details part of a committee hearing held Tuesday.

The proposed legislation models the best practices in the 14 states that currently allow it. Patients could buy the drug on a sliding scale based on their ability to pay. The city would be in charge of licensing the growers and sellers.

On Tuesday, medical marijuana patients and advocates crowded the Wilson Building to voice their support for the bill and concerns over regulations some see as too restrictive. In 2001, Christopher Garrett was diagnosed with aplastic anemia, a rare and often deadly blood disorder.

At the time, there was no place in the District to buy medical marijuana.

"When you're in a situation where you're dying, you're looking for anything that will help you," Garrett said.

Marijuana curbed the side effects from constant blood transfusions, nausea and complications from his treatment. He spoke up at the hearing on D.C.'s medical marijuana law and warned against restricting the drug to certain illnesses.

"I'm excluded from being able to have this medication and that's wrong," Garrett said. "That should be a decision that's made between a patient and a doctor."

Under the legislation, there would be up to five medical marijuana dispensaries. Only patients with a recommendation from their primary care doctor could get the drug.

"What we are trying to play defense against were the pot docs if you were that sprung up all over California who would write recommendations for the pain associated with wearing high heels and that's a true story," said D.C. Councilmember David Catania (I-At Large) and chairperson of the Health Committee holding the joint hearing.

The restrictions in the bill are a nod to the power of Congress. Wayne Turner, who co-authored, the original initiative in 1998 called Initiative 59, says it won't help patients if federal lawmakers shut it down.

"We're so close and yet we can see it all disappear and it will disappear if Congress steps in and says no, you can't do that. We have no power over that," said Turner.

The dispensaries would not be allowed within 1,000 feet of a school or youth center, severely limiting locations. Several council members appeared willing to rethink the limit.

"It shouldn't be so restrictive that we undercut or nullify the legislation," said D.C. Councilmember Phil Mendelson (D-At Large) and chairperson of the Public Safety and Judiciary Committee also holding the joint hearing.

The legislation is still in committee. It has the support of the majority of council members. Catania says the bill could be passed by May and enacted into law, if it gets through the 30-day waiting period in Congress.

Until this legislation is ironed out, medical marijuana patients in the District have no protections. Garrett once faced prosecution in North Carolina for marijuana possession the charges were dropped.

"If I had gone to jail, I probably would have died," he said.

Marijuana is still illegal under federal law, but Garrett told us his doctors at the National Institutes of Health, a federal agency, knew he used marijuana and condoned it. He is now in remission.

By SHERRI LY/myfoxdc

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Congress finally lifted the ban on D.C.'s medical marijuana law. Now, the city council must decide how to sell the drug and who can get it. Those details part of a committee hearing held Tuesday.

The proposed legislation models the best practices in the 14 states that currently allow it. Patients could buy the drug on a sliding scale based on their ability to pay. The city would be in charge of licensing the growers and sellers.

On Tuesday, medical marijuana patients and advocates crowded the Wilson Building to voice their support for the bill and concerns over regulations some see as too restrictive. In 2001, Christopher Garrett was diagnosed with aplastic anemia, a rare and often deadly blood disorder.

At the time, there was no place in the District to buy medical marijuana.

"When you're in a situation where you're dying, you're looking for anything that will help you," Garrett said.

Marijuana curbed the side effects from constant blood transfusions, nausea and complications from his treatment. He spoke up at the hearing on D.C.'s medical marijuana law and warned against restricting the drug to certain illnesses.

"I'm excluded from being able to have this medication and that's wrong," Garrett said. "That should be a decision that's made between a patient and a doctor."

Under the legislation, there would be up to five medical marijuana dispensaries. Only patients with a recommendation from their primary care doctor could get the drug.

"What we are trying to play defense against were the pot docs if you were that sprung up all over California who would write recommendations for the pain associated with wearing high heels and that's a true story," said D.C. Councilmember David Catania (I-At Large) and chairperson of the Health Committee holding the joint hearing.

The restrictions in the bill are a nod to the power of Congress. Wayne Turner, who co-authored, the original initiative in 1998 called Initiative 59, says it won't help patients if federal lawmakers shut it down.

"We're so close and yet we can see it all disappear and it will disappear if Congress steps in and says no, you can't do that. We have no power over that," said Turner.

The dispensaries would not be allowed within 1,000 feet of a school or youth center, severely limiting locations. Several council members appeared willing to rethink the limit.

"It shouldn't be so restrictive that we undercut or nullify the legislation," said D.C. Councilmember Phil Mendelson (D-At Large) and chairperson of the Public Safety and Judiciary Committee also holding the joint hearing.

The legislation is still in committee. It has the support of the majority of council members. Catania says the bill could be passed by May and enacted into law, if it gets through the 30-day waiting period in Congress.

Until this legislation is ironed out, medical marijuana patients in the District have no protections. Garrett once faced prosecution in North Carolina for marijuana possession the charges were dropped.

"If I had gone to jail, I probably would have died," he said.

Marijuana is still illegal under federal law, but Garrett told us his doctors at the National Institutes of Health, a federal agency, knew he used marijuana and condoned it. He is now in remission.
I say bullcrap !! What kind of mmj law is that ?? And no personal grows !! What's normls position on this new law ?? I'm for legalizing pot for everyone, not just for a few !!

Back
Top Bottom