Deacn's Grow Journal - Indoor - CFL Lighting - 10/28/10

Re: deacn's Grow Journal, Indoor, CFL lighting. 10/28/10

Transplanted early today into a 3 1/2 gallon pot and watered pretty well. May wait a couple of waterings before fertilizing again.
Thanks for all the input.

Re: Deacn's Grow Journal, Indoor, CFL Lighting - 10/28/10

My outside plant turned hermie. I noticed the other day that she was developing male pods under the buds and sure enough, they opened with pollen. Don't know if it was the transplant or the longer darkness & cold setting in. It's hanging to dry now, will salvage the buds and use the rest to make some more cannabutter. I Made cannabutter the other night with a lot of leaves from previous harvest and WOW! Tried some on toast the next morning, total couch lock all day long.

Plants 2, 3 & 4 are growing nicely. They are getting CO2 at night and just before the lights & fan come on in the morning.
plant_2_111910.JPG
plants_3_4_111910.JPG

Plant 2 doing very well, plants 3 and 4 growing in Fox Farms soil have overtaken the older plant 2 and I have had to train them a bit. From now on it good quality soil for me.
100_12934.JPG
100_12974.JPG
100_12954.JPG
100_12984.JPG

Redid my lighting, 2, 27 watt cfls mounted horizontally still and 2 24" florescent tubes mounted to a reflector with an exhaust fan and the 12" X 12" blue & red LED mounted on the inside of the doors to shine mid level. All at about the same height and 2 - 4 inches above the tops. Using ties to keep the three at the same height. On my days off and weather & time permitting I put them outside to soak up the desert sun. Temperature swings in the desert are brutal though, even this time of year. Temps in the cabinet range from 76° to 84° and humidity stays pretty much at 16%. They have been running on a 18/6 light schedule, just changed to 16/8 today for a week then going to a 14/10. As these are to be auto flowering and feminized seeds, there are several small flowers starting already at 5 weeks and 18" tall. Very bushy for mostly sativa strains.
My brother tells me that I need to switch to an HPS light system if I am to expect any serious harvest. Then again he has the advantage of a larger grow room and lives in a tropical area where temps stay in the 80's year around. HPS lighting in a grow cabinet seems to be a bit of an overkill and a lot of heat that I can't deal with when it's 112° plus outside and the central air is running 24/7 just to keep it 78° inside. My expectations are to have about an oz or so per month. After the holidays I am going to build another cabinet to keep at least 3 vegging and 3 flowering at all times. Do you think this is a reasonable expectation using florescent lighting?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Regards deacn.

Redid my lighting, 2, 27 watt cfls mounted horizontally still and 2 24" florescent tubes mounted to a reflector with an exhaust fan and the 12" X 12" blue & red LED mounted on the inside of the doors to shine mid level. All at about the same height and 2 - 4 inches above the tops. Using ties to keep the three at the same height. On my days off and weather & time permitting I put them outside to soak up the desert sun. Temperature swings in the desert are brutal though, even this time of year. Temps in the cabinet range from 76° to 84° and humidity stays pretty much at 16%. They have been running on a 18/6 light schedule, just changed to 16/8 today for a week then going to a 14/10. As these are to be auto flowering and feminized seeds, there are several small flowers starting already at 5 weeks and 18" tall. Very bushy for mostly sativa strains.
My brother tells me that I need to switch to an HPS light system if I am to expect any serious harvest. Then again he has the advantage of a larger grow room and lives in a tropical area where temps stay in the 80's year around. HPS lighting in a grow cabinet seems to be a bit of an overkill and a lot of heat that I can't deal with when it's 112° plus outside and the central air is running 24/7 just to keep it 78° inside. My expectations are to have about an oz or so per month. After the holidays I am going to build another cabinet to keep at least 3 vegging and 3 flowering at all times. Do you think this is a reasonable expectation using florescent lighting?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Regards deacn.

Hey deacn! I think your yield plans sound reasonable but you'll have to see. You would get better budz with an HPS but I agree you'll have terrible heat problems. If you want to do anything look into another LED, the ones everybody likes right now are the ones that IrishBoy is using. I always get the name mixed up with a competitor who you should not use, so check out his grows.

I'd think something like 1/2 oz per plant would be very doable even in your current setup, so I'd plan on harvesting 2 plants a month.... hope that helps and hope your yields are even better. :peacetwo:

Hey BlueDog, believe me, if I had the funds I would go all LED, the good ones like I saw at the Hydroponic store here and on IrishBoy's thread are a bit out of my budget. LED's will come down in price eventually but in the mean time I'll make the best with what I have.
Already collecting parts needed for a second cabinet that will be somewhat larger, just have to convince the wife that the spare bedroom would be better used for growing than her doll houses and Barbie collection. (I mean really, isn't that why the good Lord made boxes?) Hopefully the upcoming harvest will convince her.
Have been following your 'Guide to Hempy" very interesting. Another reason to expand from a closet to a full room.
Later bro, deacn

Well, I have rebuilt my grow box 3 times since I last updated and now using HPS lighting. I also talked the wife out of the spare bedroom closet and am using my florescent lighting in there for starts & veg growth on a 24/0 schedule, then move to my cabinet with HPS at 12/12 so I will always have some flowering. (All it took was some early buds off of these ladies and she was sold on the idea.)
Here's the 2 AK47's that I transplanted on 11/12/10. I have several clones of them, one of which is flowering right next to
GetAttachment_aspx3.jpg

Well, looks like I really suck at updating this journal.
The cabinet that I started with is now outfitted with HPS lighting and is used for flowering only. I outfitted a spare closet with the fluorescent lights for starts & vegging.

1664409570685.png

100_1378_1_.JPG

Nevermind the date stamp on the photo, just changed batteries in the camera.

Thanks Bluedog, this is one from regular bag seed. My brother wanted some regular bag seeds from the mainland to try and he raved about the results so I had to give it a try too. I topped it early to grow short, she's only 21 inches.
The AK47's have since been dried & cured and I am pretty happy with them, for my first successful grow especially.
Those seeds from mail order have been pretty hit & miss on germinating, a few even turned male but that was possibly due to some adverse conditions that I have since corrected. Now that my bro & I are working together, we are getting our own seeds & crosses of known winners. Lovin' this hobby!
After this beauty is ready to harvest I have a First Lady and a Jack Herer ready for the flowering cabinet.
Saw your pictures in the February contest, lookin' great!
Keep in touch Dog, always learning.

Hi Deacnbleu

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom