Do in line fan mufflers actually work

Dankman_420

I'm going to be installing a 4" inline fan and carbon filter in my basement directly under where my bed is and I'm hoping to not have to hear noise from the fan. I already have sleep issues. Hoping someone has experience with in line mufflers. This is the one I'm looking at. Thanks in advance Hydroponics 4" Inline Fan Blower Silencer Duct Muffler Noise Reducer Light Weight Durable Galvanized Sheet for Grow Tent System

41bj7r++Y-L._AC_SY400_.jpg

I have one for 6" ducting. They don't quiet the fan, but do reduce the noise from air flow. You can either get a quieter fan, or mount the fan in an insulated box to reduce the noise. A rubber mat under the fan will also help, if it's not mounted yet. Another method of reducing the noise from the airflow is to use larger ducting.

You're fan is likely too strong for it's size and application. I have a pair of 6" fan/filters right above my room in the attic and the sound in the room below is super faint and outside you can't hear them at all. Together, they exhaust 3 different 4x4 rooms through a single 6" hole poked in the ceiling.

Edit - insulated ducting will muffle some of the noise, maybe as much as half. That's what I have in the attic between the ceiling and the fans.

Thanks fellas! I'll give the insulated ducting a try
It's pretty cheap so no biggy if it's not enough for you mate. Can build an effective silencer box to house the fan for next to nothing if you find you need more. The ducting is good though. I was cracking up till I got it.
My fan is a rhino 760m3/h and with the normal ducting the noise is rediculous. Can just hear a wee hum from the hatch now though. Saves sooooo much paranoia lol

If you mount a fan on bungee cords it will reduce the vibration noise of the fan to almost none. The main noise you will hear isn’t from the fan itself it’s from the movement of air.

Carbon filters help to quiet the air at the inlet or outlet. If you also use acoustic (insulated) ducting, this will dramatically reduce the noise made by the moving air.

If you mount a fan on bungee cords it will reduce the vibration noise of the fan to almost none. The main noise you will hear isn’t from the fan itself it’s from the movement of air.

Carbon filters help to quiet the air at the inlet or outlet. If you also use acoustic (insulated) ducting, this will dramatically reduce the noise made by the moving air.

Wow, I'm horrible today with mind farts, but that's what I did with using bungies to suspend my fans on a piece of 3/4" plywood. My filters are screwed to the wood with angle brackets and the fans are seated by gravity. But you're right, the bungie cords is where the noise reduction is, not the insulated ducts. There's a 3rd filter in my pic on standby as a redundancy.

Filters.jpg

Back
Top Bottom