Do We Need A Johnny Appleseed For Marijuana?

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
In parts of the United States, you can't go for a walk in the woods without bumping into apple trees. Could the debate over marijuana be settled by making marijuana plants as ubiquitous as apple trees -- so unavoidable that prosecuting people for growing and possessing the stuff becomes a preposterous proposition? More to the point, should Americans interested in easing some of the worst abuses of the drug war emulate Johnny Appleseed, the man who made apples so common, and plant marijuana seeds in every likely location?

Within a couple of years this 'weed' has the potential to be so prolific that the government cannot eradicate it." --Sean Y.

Reader Sean Y. writes: I propose that everyone plant their marijuana seeds in inconspicuous places. These places can be in a large city or national forest, it does not matter. Everyone that believes in liberty should plant these seeds any time that they have the opportunity. Within a couple of years this “weed” has the potential to be so prolific that the government cannot eradicate it. Not only that, marijuana enthusiasts will no longer have to search out bad characters and pay outrageous prices for a plant that grows naturally just about anywhere. Who knows, a little genetic modification could make the plants irresistible to honey bees and as prolific as the dandelion?

Sean Y. specifically references the legendary Johnny Appleseed -- actually named John Chapman -- as his inspiration. Chapman wandered the frontier for decades until his death in 1845 (or 1847 -- sources vary), creating nurseries for apple trees and helping to make sure that the apple became the American fruit. He reportedly obtained his seeds for free from cider mills, since the mills would benefit from a plentiful supply of raw material (at the time apples were drunk as hard cider more often than they were eaten. Good times.).

I've wanted to be the Johnny Appleseed of marijuana, so if we produced millions and millions of marijuana plants all over the world, it would be impossible for governments to eradicate or control all of it."
-- Marc Emery

Marijuana seeds aren't quite so easy to come by -- but they aren't that hard to find, either. Until recently, British Columbia's Marc Emery made a profitable business of selling marijuana seeds by mail which he distributed to eager buyers around the world. Emery, a high-profile marijuana activist and advocate for overall liberty was quoted in the New York Times saying, "I've wanted to be the Johnny Appleseed of marijuana, so if we produced millions and millions of marijuana plants all over the world, it would be impossible for governments to eradicate or control all of it."

Emery's operation was maybe a little too high-profile; he's involved in a protracted battle with the United States government and faces an extradition hearing in June.

But given the ease with which marijuana adapts to nearly every environment and its rugged growth characteristics, the plan is an intriguing one. And marijuana seeds remain available from other sources. Spreading the seeds to let them grow naturally shows every sign of being a viable tactic.

By the way, if you think it unseemly that anybody should profit from such a venture, think of it this way: the potential for profit is a great incentive to make the project succeed. After all, the original Johnny Appleseed died a wealthy man and the owner of about 1,200 acres.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Examiner.com
Copyright: 2009 Clarity Digital Group LLC
Website: Civil Liberties Examiner: Do we need a Johnny Appleseed for marijuana?

Ah, I believe it could work if the budget of law enforcement were kept at a level that wouldn't allow the large scale eradication of a god created species.

You can't compare apples to oranges , nor can you compare apples to cannabis. Apple trees live for many years , cannibis is an annual . Due to the climatic conditions and cross polination, after so many generations the quality seeds would revert back to wild ditch weed , the pollen drifting over the landscape would pollute any and all serious quality grows . Not to forget that the seeds are highly prized by birds as food and the foliage consumed by multiple four legged creatures , the results of mass plantings by many Johnny Appleseeds, if it were sucessful , may have the opposite result of that which was intended.:smokin:

:laugh:For such a venture to be sucessful in my neck of the woods , there would have to be a strong ruderalis genetic connection to the strain or else they would never reach maturity due to early frost.;)

Well, this doesn't seem such a bad idea, obviously since they are annual and cross-pollenation and whatnot it wouldn't be that good for smoking but I think the ultimate goal is exposure

In the wild pot gardens of the emerald triangle, after the gardens have been cleaned out (be it either by the DEA or the farmer himself) have there been subsequent crops from fertelized seeds, sprouting in the same area? I noticed the federalies were using big snips to cut the plants, but if there were seeds a lot of them would have dropped to the ground and hopfully germinate. If so eventually these areas would have wild indigeneous herb spreading out. Other states (Ky, Fla, etc) that have a lot of outdoor cultivation should also be having a lot of wild indigeneous herb spreading out. There is a video "A growers Lot" by jerimio deuce, where he grows two gardens. The first garden has both male and female plants. The second garden he starts out with both male and female, but once the male traits are seen, jerimio pulls them up so that this garden has primarily females. It is the gardens that have both sexes of plants where the regenerations will occur. These gardens will keep on perpetuating and wont even need our help to thrive.

Seed Bombs: Walk-By Guerrilla Gardening

Combine 2 parts mixed seeds with 3 parts compost.
Stir in 5 parts powdered red or brown clay.
Moisten with water until mixture is damp enough to mold into balls.
Pinch off a penny-sized piece of the clay mixture and roll it between
the palms of your hands until it forms a tight ball (1 inch in
diameter).
Set the balls on newspaper and allow to dry for 24 - 48 hours. Store
in a cool, dry place until ready to sow.
Throw the balls into vacant lots, pavement cracks, long-standing
rubbish piles, or anywhere that would benefit from a bit of random
greenery.(police stations, city court houses, or in dirt by any
government building or even out you car window on those back roads)
Happy planting!:bongrip:

Back in the '70s, there was such a movement and it was called "The Legend of Johnny Pot". It might have made it into an underground comic, such as the Fuzzy, Furry Freak Bros by G Sheldon and Mavrides. I'll have to get some of my old comic books from Rip Off Press and browse.

As of this moment I am volunteering to get this movement started. Everybody who supports me send your earlier flowering seeds my way. The seeds have to be able to be fully developed before the end of September. I will start with a couple places this year and camp out around the are to make sure they get well established. Next year Ill have thousands of seeds (presumably if i am even have successful this year and people send me beans) that I shall spread throughout my state to proliferate before I leave this state for good. and yes I am seriouse

Back
Top Bottom