Drug War Doesn't Add Up

Marianne

Jim High-tower's column, "It's not a war on weed, it's a war on people," ( AC-T, Aug. 4 ), on marijuana, is right on the mark. Our government spends an enormous amount of money each year prosecuting and incarcerating people that smoke an expensive weed. The only reason it's expensive is because the U.S. government ( prodded by Randolph Hearst, but that's another story ) made it illegal back in 1937. Nowadays anyone can make lots of money ( until they get busted ) selling a crummy weed.

People who smoke pot do not cause nearly as many problems as people who drink. Unfortunately, they occupy valuable prison space. I would rather see the government spending my money keeping muggers, murderers and CEOs behind bars. These folks purposefully hurt other people. Dope smokers pretty much only hurt themselves ( although, not nearly as often as people that smoke cigarettes ).

If the government wanted to truly fight crime, they would decriminalize all profitable illicit drugs, tax the heck out of them and offer free drug treatment to any who actually want to quit. The math alone tells the story. If a junkie has a $800 a day habit, due to a drug being illegal, that would become a $20 a day habit if decriminalized.

He could work at McDonalds and support his habit, and like it, too. People could go down to the ABC store and pick up some TooT Sweet, a beer and a pack of Acapulco Gold Filters and help pay off Uncle Sam's enormous tax debt. It's a win-win scenario.

I know that some people would probably kill themselves doing too many cheap drugs, but they would be doing it to themselves. I would rather have my tax dollars helping to support the family they leave behind than keeping a non-violent drug abuser locked up. A guy has to break a lot of laws to support an expensive drug habit.

Riddle me this: when was the last time you heard of a man breaking into a house to steal something to sell to get some money to buy a bottle of booze?

He might break into a liquor store for the liquor, and they have great insurance. When they repealed Prohibition, crime on the streets dropped a lot.

As more substances were made illegal, crime rose. I have worked many years in psychiatric and jail settings.

Many of the public defenders agree that drugs should be decriminalized.

Do the math. We should decriminalize all illicit drugs and take to profit away from the bad guys.

Newshawk: Happykid - 420 Magazine
Source: Asheville Citizen-Times (NC)
Pubdate: Mon, 21 Aug 2006
Author: Pat Orsban
Copyright: Asheville Citizen-Times
Website: CITIZEN-TIMES.com: Asheville and Western North Carolina's Source for News and Information
Note: Pat Orsban is a registered nurse. He lives in Fairview.

Good thoughts! I agree.

medMUser

I forgot to ask-what crummy weed? I don't think it's crummy! :smokin: :-D

Just kinda kiddin. I thought MJ was an 'erb. Does any know if cannabis is a weed or herb? Is it both?

The drug war adds uo for big pharma. RE-legalizing MJ & Hemp would cost the man's big bro establishment plenty!

Be safe evey boodddyy!!

medMUser

Also, HappyKid, I went to LEAP's site. (Law Enforcment Against Prohibition). There I found out that only about 1.3% of US citizens are addicted. This % has stayed constant for many decades. Very interesting site. I recomend reading it. If all drugs were legalized & controlled crime would drop as the $$ incentive for smuggling would be removed.

medMUser

I don't know either. Heard MJ called a weed & a herb. Lots of herbs grow wild & are easy to cultivate.

Is it both? Any one know for sure?

medMUser

TheLife said:
theres so many bullshit wars going around today...

War on Abortion War on TERROR WAR on Drugs WAR on IRAQ.
WAR THIS WAR THAT.. WAR WAR WAR...

and all the damn stoners are saying.. "give us a chance"

Time to declare the War on War!!!

There is no plant that fits the word 'weed' less than cannabis sativa. It is the oldest domesticated plant.

BTW, a plant does not need to grow quickly to be a weed.

herb 
–noun
1. a flowering plant whose stem above ground does not become woody.
2. such a plant when valued for its medicinal properties, flavor, scent, or the like.
3. Often, the herb. Slang. marijuana.
4. Archaic. herbage.

Well thats definition of herb so. How could marijuana not be called a herb

I agree, Ganja. I do not know either.

Be safe!

medMUser

Back
Top Bottom