DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Ok
Then the heater is too speed up your drying process???
I've had buds in a packed fridge with no heater
It cycles on and off
After 4 days the humidity has dropped from 95% to now at 69% and still dropping
I guess your logic escapes me
Hope it works for ya!!!

Surely you don’t want your buds in the fridge at 95% humidity for a few days do you? From what I’ve read I was under the impression it’s recommended to keep humidity at 50%

Surely you don’t want your buds in the fridge at 95% humidity for a few days do you? From what I’ve read I was under the impression it’s recommended to keep humidity at 50%

@Steve9814

I believe ( imay be wrong) you may be mixing the normal everyday used drying info with the low n slow info
If one is drying the normal way then yes you don't want 95% humidity. One of the reasons air movement is critical in normal drying tech to help pull the excess moisture away.
There is no need for heat or air movement in a properly set up low n slow fridge. The low temps drys without heat.
95% humidity with the cooler temps (40f for me) totally inhibits mold growth while its pulling the moisture out. 95% humidity is is just the starting point and the humidity starts droping within hours.
Humidity only spikes if door is opened. Yes you are right that one does not want 95% humidity in the standard dry area.
Low n slow is not standard

[/QUOTE]

When you say set inkbird to a higher temp. I assume you have an inkbird temp controller mine is a humidity controller. What are you plugging into your temp controller?

I plug my refridge ( which is set to max cold) into the ink bird temp controller and use a Govee temp/ humidity sensor for my readings.

After 7 days in fridge
My humidity readings are at 59% today and still dropping

I don't know all but there are plenty here that know more
Pax

@Steve9814

I believe ( imay be wrong) you may be mixing the normal everyday used drying info with the low n slow info
If one is drying the normal way then yes you don't want 95% humidity. One of the reasons air movement is critical in normal drying tech to help pull the excess moisture away.
There is no need for heat or air movement in a properly set up low n slow fridge. The low temps drys without heat.
95% humidity with the cooler temps (40f for me) totally inhibits mold growth while its pulling the moisture out. 95% humidity is is just the starting point and the humidity starts droping within hours.
Humidity only spikes if door is opened. Yes you are right that one does not want 95% humidity in the standard dry area.
Low n slow is not standard

I plug my refridge ( which is set to max cold) into the ink bird temp controller and use a Govee temp/ humidity sensor for my readings.

After 7 days in fridge

Pax
[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere on this post that ideal fridge humidity was 45-50% I’m sure I think by Sue..

Either way I’ve removed the heater for now and humidity has spiked to 76% and 5.8c.

Just a bummer as I spent nearly 100 dollars on the inkbird humidity controller and the heater

After 7 days in fridge

Pax

I read somewhere on this post that ideal fridge humidity was 45-50% I’m sure I think by Sue..

Either way I’ve removed the heater for now and humidity has spiked to 76% and 5.8c.

Just a bummer as I spent nearly 100 dollars on the inkbird humidity controller and the heater
[/QUOTE]
@Steve9814

I was going to suggest taking out the heater
Good move

Yep
I'm sure that it is said somewhere that 40-50% is ideal humidity , but it's from high humidity dropping down there.
What we are trying to do is dry down to that humidity level.
The spike is normal
The only reason I use a ink bird temp controller is because after the buds are dry I do a cold cure and I have to up the fridges temps to 52f AFTER they are dry for that step.
If I was not cold cureing I wouldn't use a ink bird temp controller. Just be using the Govee and the refridge manual temp control.
Make sure you have at least a temp thermometer in the fridge so you can manually ajust the fridges temps to 40-45f ( I preferr the low end)
this is important!!!
Once it is in the preferred temp zone let it roll!!. No more needs for fiddling with the temps.
Once in that range keep door closed and humidity will start to fall.

I hear ya on that $100
I can't start to tell ya how much I've spent on what I thought were growing improvements only to find out I shouldn't have been so stoned!!! Doooooh!!!! It happens
eBay is your friend

Good move

Yep
I'm sure that it is said somewhere that 40-50% is ideal humidity , but it's from high humidity dropping down there.
The spike is normal
Make sure you have at least a temp thermometer in the fridge so you can manually ajust the fridges temps to 40-45f ( I preferr the low end)
this is important!!!
Once it is in the preferred temp zone let it roll!!. No more needs for fiddling with the temps.

I hear ya on that $100
I can't start to tell ya how much I've spent on what I thought were growing improvements only to find out I shouldn't have been so stoned!!! Doooooh!!!! It happens
eBay is your friend
[/QUOTE]

If your humidity is 59% aren’t you in the cure zone??

Good move

Yep
The spike is normal
this is important!!!

I hear ya on that $100
eBay is your friend
@Steve9814
If your humidity is 59% aren’t you in the cure zone??

The REFRIGERATORS humidity is at 59% not the buds. I'm sure if I took out some bud and put them into a mason jar with a hydrometer the humidity would be hi cuz the inside of the buds still have hi humidity

Why 40f specifically?
It's been found through trial and error that 40-45f is the sweet spot for best results.
I'm at 40f because it's my first run in this refridge and I needed a starting point.
But I can allready tell next run temps will be 42f for I think these are drying faster than wished for.

My fridge is 41f atm not sure how accurate the thermometer I have is though

If unsure of accuracy shoot for low end like 41f
Give it a few hours and you will see the humidity drop
Try not to peek for at least for 3 days
Pax

Doesn’t make sense to me... a fridge is a sealed container like a glass jar. The humidity in the fridge (if it’s crammed with buds) should be the same as the humidity in a jar... as far as I understand humidity anyway
@Steve9814

My thinking was the same
Didn't make sense to me also at first
But it works
Reread this thread
The air humidity is 59%
The internal humidity is higher because the air humidity has not pulled the internal moisture of the buds out yet. It's just pulled the humidity from the outside of the buds.
The humidity goes down and stabilizes as the outside of the bud drys
Once stable then the inside starts to dry
This is a reason to keep the buds in the refer for at least 2 weeks so that the low humidity of the air can pull out the higher humidity inside the buds
Also
There is some kind of drip tray under your fridge. This is where the humidity drips out to.
I'm no expert hopefully someone will correct my incorrect theories.

Pax

@Steve9814

My thinking was the same
Didn't make sense to me also at first
But it works
Reread this thread
The air humidity is 59%
The internal humidity is higher because the air humidity has not pulled the internal moisture of the buds out yet. It's just pulled the humidity from the outside of the buds.
The humidity goes down and stabilizes as the outside of the bud drys
Once stable then the inside starts to dry
This is a reason to keep the buds in the refer for at least 2 weeks so that the low humidity of the air can pull out the higher humidity inside the buds
Also
There is some kind of drip tray under your fridge. This is where the humidity drips out to.
I'm no expert hopefully someone will correct my incorrect theories.

Pax
Yes there is a tray where water drips and then evaporates back into the air outside the fridge.

I see that logic about the inside not having the humidity pulled out yet. In a jar at room temp it will happen faster due to room temp. I’m just paranoid about mold as the buds are huge. I’ve broken them down as far as I can.

Even with low temps mold can still grow. At 40f mold growth is just slowed not stopped

Yes there is a tray where water drips and then evaporates back into the air outside the fridge.

I see that logic about the inside not having the humidity pulled out yet. In a jar at room temp it will happen faster due to room temp. I’m just paranoid about mold as the buds are huge. I’ve broken them down as far as I can.

Even with low temps mold can still grow. At 40f mold growth is just slowed not stopped
Yep
That's why errbody burps their jars.
Cuz Jars don't have drip trays.
The jars would get moldy due to the hi humidity, warmth if kept sealed.
Yes
Sure, mold can still grow at 40f but way way way slowed down
Add in the lower air humidity
I do believe mold spores need 50/60 to really get active
50f and 60% humidity.
Even though the humidity is high in the beginning, the 40f temps hold off the mold as the humidity drops

40 degrees and low air humidity is not conducive for mold growth.

It's been found that breaking down the buds is the way to go.
If you read through the thread you will find most of errbody was paranoid of mold .
That is till the end result.
Pax

Yep
That's why errbody burps their jars.
Cuz Jars don't have drip trays.
The jars would get moldy due to the hi humidity, warmth if kept sealed.
Yes
Mold can still grow at 40f but way way way slowed down
Add in the lower air humidity
I do believe mold spores need 50/60 to become activated
50f and 60% humidity.

40 degrees and low air humidity is not conducive for mold growth.

It's been found that breaking down the buds is the way to go.
If you read through the thread you will find most of errbody was paranoid of mold .
That is till the end result.
Pax
Yeah low humidity hinders mold growth that was my reasoning behind the heater to remove humidity. But humidity is now high I’ve turned it off at 72%

Back
Top Bottom