Dual lamp hood by sunlight supply

Soilless

Hi all, first post here looking for input.
I have for years been running a dual 400 setup. Both lamps are under one hood (sun system)and mounted on each end horizontally. Both run off the same ballast with dual inputs.
There is about 4 inches gap in the center of the hood between the tips of each bulb.

I have just bought a 600w ballast and lamp hps that I want to replace the 400 hps currently in the fixture. I know I can still use the existing socket and cord.
Questions surround whether or not closing the gap between the 2 bulb tips will cause an issue like an explosion. I assume this gap between the 2 bulb tips will go from 4 inches or so to around 2 inches depending on how much longer the 600 bulb is vs the 400.

Anyone see any issues with this change?
Thanks in advance and hopefully this will suffice as a first post here.

I wouldnt think there would be an issue. HIDs are meant to run at really high temps and not be air cooled. So considering yours are in a hood thats probably air cooled you should be ok. Just make sure youve got enough air flowin!

They are not closed cooled with ducting, but I do have a wall mount cyclone currently angled and cooling the 2 in there. Max temps I ever see now are mid 70s. If it gets too hot with new bulb, I can just up the exhaust out of the room, so heat is not an issue, but rather proximity of the two bulbs.

I have seen a smaller 400MH bulb at Lowes that is a few inches shorter and smaller diameter than the typical 400MH, may put that on the other side just to keep a little space.

The dual spectrum 400s have been wonderful and bountiful, hoping to see the proclaimed difference with replacing the 400HPS with the 600HPS.

Most peoples trouble is fitting all the lights in one place or the heat and if you have those under control i figure itd be good to go.

Just think of stadium lights. They stay on for hours and hours and arent cooled.

I havent grown with the mixed spectrum but have always wanted to and now that ive switched to LEDs theres no turnin back.

Back
Top Bottom