DWC grow, a few questions?

Bonzmoking

Hey all I have a few questions about DWC that i thought a few of you might know the answer to :thumb:
So 1st of all i was wondering about the rockwool cubes as i have read quite a few different opinions. Do you put the rockwool cube straight into the hydroton once roots are showing or should i start the cube in the hydroton from the start with just the bottom of the net pot submerged and top feed till i see roots coming out of the bottom?
Next question i would like to ask is? I have started two beans in two little black pots with quite large holes in the bottom of them and have started with straight perlite and they are 2 weeks old today growing on a window sill. For the 1st week i gave them straight water then week 2 i added half nutes and they seem to be coming along nicely :circle-of-love: Will i be able to grow them like that till i want to switch 12/12 under LED or will i have to transplant them? (I will have pics up tomorrow to show and explain the perlite pots)

Look forward to seeing what everyone thinks, Cheers and happy growing
:Namaste:

My method is once rooted you place your cube in the system and raise the water level touching the bottom of the cube/roots until roots are through the basket (few days) and then lower the level to below the cube so it doesn't constantly wick water and get funky. If you want to veg a couple weeks before going in the system, you can use 3" or 4" cubes and matching baskets.

My method is once rooted you place your cube in the system and raise the water level touching the bottom of the cube/roots until roots are through the basket (few days) and then lower the level to below the cube so it doesn't constantly wick water and get funky. If you want to veg a couple weeks before going in the system, you can use 3" or 4" cubes and matching baskets.
Cheers for getting back to me mate but now I am a bit confused, most of what i have read is that you don't let the water touch the bottom of the cube at all as it can saturate the rookwool and slow down root growth. And it can also help it get fungi and other funky diseases that we don't want.
Some say to put the res height to bottom of the net pot or even the bottom inch of the net pot submerged, but not all the way up to the rockwool. I am really confused :hmmmm:

Same method as Alien but I have it recirculate and have drip ring.
Cheers for getting back to me mate, so do you use a water pump as opposed to the air pump i will be using? :)

Ok here are the pics of the other 2 that i have been growing on the windowsill and also the 10 litre bucket they will live in. I am curious if you think i will get away with this experiment being that its straight perlite and the pots are so small. But also keep in mind that both will go into the bucket together.
These are them :)
phone_pics_012.jpg

And this is the bottom of the pot. Do you think the holes will be big enough?
phone_pics_0141.jpg

The bucket they will live in :)
phone_pics_015.jpg

And last but not least here are some pics of 1 of the 2 girls i have been playing with for a bit, harvest in about a month and a bit.
Grown under old style Mars Hydro 300w Led
Grown in African violet mix with a slow release fert and some organic nutes
Super trimmed and a little trained :)
phone_pics_011.jpg

phone_pics_0101.jpg

phone_pics_009.jpg

And this was when she was a baby in the light room :)
phone_pics_0021.jpg

Looking forward to see whats everyone thinks about my experiment:) Happy Growing Friends

Gday mate, no you didn't misunderstand me i am going to be doing (experimenting) with those small black pots with the perlite, i was just wondering if anyone thought this might be to small to grow them in (becoming top heavy) but i will secure them somehow :)

And i also have those Grodan rockwool cubes as well, i will be growing one rockwool cube,hyroton and net pot in one bucket on her own and have the perlite girls next to the hydroton bucket.
Ok my Grodan cubes are 1 half inches tall and my net pot is 4 inches tall, so if the cube is flush to top of pot that means i have 2 half inches of hydroton below it. How far up should i have the water in relation to the net pot? Also when you drop the water below the pot how far do you drop it, about 2 inches?
And also have you ever seen anyone try and do what i am trying with the perlite girls?
Thanks for your input mate :)

Back
Top Bottom