Seedling question

88WW

4 out 5 of my seeds opened up in the paper towel and the roots have grown a little.

I soaked my 1.5" rockwool cube in ph 5.5
And planted the 4 seeds in the cubes.

The 4 are in my nano dome now

My question is do I start them on a light cycle now or still darkness until they grow out of the rockwool surface?

4 out 5 of my seeds opened up in the paper towel and the roots have grown a little.

My question is do I start them on a light cycle now or still darkness until they grow out of the rockwool surface?
I like to introduce them to light immediately. I go back to in nature nobody's keepin her out of light for X amount of days. Shes gotta get used to it. I actually don't even give mine darkness. Nope. I let mine soak for 24 hours or until it sinks then right into her permanant home. Right under my lights. See The tiny one in the pic next to my lowryder. That's a Sour Orange Diesel Kush. By Memphisto Genetics case you were wondering. Lol sorry to babble on im high AF

Attachments

• 20190709_175918.jpg
    20190709_175918.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 142
I put under CFL light once I move from paper towel. No actually plant showing yet just tap root.

Seedlings shouldn't need nutrients that young nope. Depends what you grow in when they will need nutes. Some soil has nutes for a long time.

I fed nutes roughly once transplanting to my larger pots and officially call it the veg stage. The small bottom leaves will start to yellow, saying they need nutes!

PH depends on what you grow in as well. Either 5.8ish or 6.5ish

I put under CFL light once I move from paper towel. No actually plant showing yet just tap root.

Seedlings shouldn't need nutrients that young nope. Depends what you grow in when they will need nutes. Some soil has nutes for a long time.

I fed nutes roughly once transplanting to my larger pots and officially call it the veg stage. The small bottom leaves will start to yellow, saying they need nutes!

PH depends on what you grow in as well. Either 5.8ish or 6.5ish

I keep telling everyone it's in rockwool. And the same answer comes back. "Depends what you grow in"

They are in rockwool 1.5" right now. And will continue to be in rockwool for the rest of their lives.

I'm getting mixed information from people so need to know.

It seems like no one on here grows in rockwool.

Keep telling everyone? You've posted once in this thread, and said (once) that you put in 1.5" rockwool cube. If you keep them in a 1.5" cube, you won't be growing plants. People transplant from there.

Try being grateful and friendly when receiving advice, not annoyed. That's all I can help bro, good luck....

And mixed information will happen all the time.. that is because people grow very successful green with many different techniques and ideas. Kindly try their advice and find what works for you.

I am grateful for the advice given. My mistake I've made about 4 posts asking about this.

It seems no one outside of commercial grows use rockwool for the whole grow.

1.5" rockwool into 4" rockwool stacked on top of 8" big block for final growing medium.

And the mixed info is people giving advice for something that my build is not. They tell me soil has nutirents in it. When I'm asking about rockwool.

Thanks. Ya I feel like growing in rockwool is uncommon around here.. at least I haven't read any posts about it. Figured you were moving to different growing medium after 1.5 cube.

But anyways.. think your questions were mostly answered. Light is ok now. No nutrients yet. ...and will have to find out about ph.

Here is some helpful info:

Step 5 really gets into PH levels for growing in rockwool during different stages.

Hey @88WW ... welcome to :420:...

I have seedings right now ... and they get light right away.

This is a good time to introduce them:

1) to a light breeze with a fan blowing over top of them ...
2) give them some rooting hormones if you have them ...
3) give them some mycorrhizae (Great White)
4) beneficial bacteria (Voodoo Juice)
5) vaitamins (SuperVit, B-52)
6) light dose of grow nutes (Nitrogen supercharging)

My seedlings go right into Fox Farm Ocean Forest which has lots of nutes already ... but I supercharge them ... and they love it!!!

Keep asking questions and please start a grow journal so we can all follow along!!!

I am grateful for the advice given. My mistake I've made about 4 posts asking about this.

It seems no one outside of commercial grows use rockwool for the whole grow.

1.5" rockwool into 4" rockwool stacked on top of 8" big block for final growing medium.

And the mixed info is people giving advice for something that my build is not. They tell me soil has nutirents in it. When I'm asking about rockwool.
Grew my profile pic in a 4inch rockwool mate. They're easy to use.
To start em off, you first gotta rinse all the alkaline shit out them. Once you think they're clean, get a bowl of tap water and check the pH . Put the cubes in it for half an hour then check it again. If the pH doesn't move they're clean. If it rises they're still dirty.

Once cleaned, soak in Ph5.5--5.7
100-200ppm worth of nutes at most.
Let them dry out quite a bit then put the seeds in.
Use a spray bottle to feed them. (Same solution)

Keep them moist but not wet and don't let them dry out. Feel a dry one and a fully wet one. Try keep it like 30-40% wet. Too dry and they'll die, too wet and the bottom of the stem quite often turns to mush and snaps.
Sounds a bit dramatic but just don't be daft and drown them. If you check the first page of my perpetual grow you'll see some pics. Once the roots are comming out like that you can feed as much volume as you want but gotta be careful untill that point.

Keep them in a humidity dome of some sort. Mines cost 99p from a bargain shop. Aldi have them for 99p just now if you're uk.
Takes about 2 weeks to get them properly rooted up. Best to use a low power led or CFL or something like that. They don't need or want a lot of light to start with. Means you can just start em in a cupboard too so actually cuts 2 weeks off the grow if you do it when the last lot are finishing up.
I use a 130w CFL reflector. It was only £30 and it's perfect for upto 12 plants in 4inch cubes.

And I've just looked back and realised your using 1.5 inch rockwools so you'll actually be ready to plant in like 8-10 days.
I start them in 1s then into 4s then into whatever media I'm using. It's a bit risky with autos but awesome way to start photos. Gets the root system properly pumped up and ready to go. :)

Any other questions just ask mate I'll be on periodically for most of the day.
Scottish summer so got a 10 days storm overhead. Can't exactly go anywhere lol.

Oh and just realised the 8inch block thing. It never works mate. Seen many try and none have succeeded in anything particularly impressive. Easier to just sit the 4inch cubes ontop of an NFT reservoir. That's what I do, its a piss easy way to grow. The problem with the 8inch cube thing is that it tends to create tall, thin plants. If your plan is to do a tightly packed " sog " then thats great but otherwise its a pretty inefective way to grow that comes with a few unique problems.

Here is some helpful info:

Step 5 really gets into PH levels for growing in rockwool during different stages.
I might get a bit of flack for this. Looks like a professional artical but i cant not point it out.
It says to soak for 24 hours in ph 4.5 to stabalise it.. .
That, imo is a very bad idea. You should just rinse the crap out of them under a slow running tap and heres why.

When you soak them for 24 hours in 4.5,what will happen is the rockwool will soften up. Kinda breaks down a bit. Sounds like a good thing but the main benefit of rockwool is that its really easy for the roots to grow through. When you soak them like that they become denser and the roots cant get through them as easily.
Same thing happens if you blast them with the tap, hence the slow running comment.
Once theyre clean give em a gentle squeeze to get most of it out without damaging the structure. Then soak for an hour or 2 in your seedling nutes.

Back
Top Bottom