Facing A Life Of Pain

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
An Inverness man convicted at Inverness Sheriff Court yesterday of growing cannabis plants at his home said he now faces a life of constant pain.

It was said that Alexander Mearns, 62, of 130 Old Edinburgh Road, used the drug to ease excruciating pain in his back, hips and legs but, since he was caught, he has had to go back to chemical painkillers.

Mr Mearns was fined £300 after admitting producing the class B drug in the loft of his house.

Police found six large cannabis plants and 10 small cuttings. They also recovered 229 grams of herbal cannabis. The total had a street value of £1,300, the court was told.

Sheriff Derek Pyle said: “I have considerable sympathy with you but, at the end of the day, courts and prosecuting authorities and the police have to enforce the law as it stands, not as what some think it ought to be, I’m afraid.”

Outside court, Mr Mearns said he believed the sheriff had been “very fair”, but he said he thought the fine was quite heavy.

He said: “It should be made legal.

“In Canada you are allowed to grow two plants, and in America they have machines where you can get cannabis if you have a doctor’s line.”

Mr Mearns has suffered from cancer three times in the past 13 years and has diabetes, arthritis and back pain due to a twisted spine, and found smoking cannabis a great relief.

Before taking cannabis Mr Mearns was on a daily diet of 14 to 16 pills, including morph*ne-based tablets, despite the dose being a maximum of just eight.

The former lorry driver said cannabis made a huge difference to the quality of his life.

He said: “It really does work. Previously, I was in constant pain and could not walk far. After taking cannabis I could get out the house again and even go fishing.

“The effects were outstanding – so much so that I stopped taking my painkillers.”

Mr Mearns said, although he was saving the NHS the cost of his painkiller prescriptions, buying cannabis on “the street” was costing him a fortune, so he decided to grow his own for his personal use.

But now he has reverted to the painkillers, and the pain he thought he had eased has returned. He said: “Now I can’t go anywhere again. I can’t even walk upstairs, so I have to sleep on the couch in the living room.

“I really can’t do anything.”

His wife, Elaine, 53, said: “When he started using cannabis, I got the hubby back that I used to know. Now it’s just a case of popping pills every day, and he’s in considerable pain.”

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Press & Journal
Copyright: 2008 Aberdeen Journals Ltd,
Contact: North of Scotland - Aberdeen News - Press and Journal
Website: Cannabis man says he now faces a life of pain - Press & Journal

I feel for this guy. I have neuropathy and fybromyalgia, both carry extreme burning pain . My toes and feet burn so bad at times I wish I could cut them off.I smoke medicinal marijuana to relieve the pain or I take large doses of morph*ne and meth*done. My doctor gave me a prescription to use marijuana for pain, as needed.
Move to California, it's a lot more leanant here and the local law is not even supposed to support the DEA when they raid patients and the caregivers and clubs, the DEA is now on their own when it comes to harrasement. Now we are close to legalization for legitamate patients. Soon and Very soon we are going to see the KING!
Marijuana has been used for thousands of years, safely and effectively treating an array of health issues. It is the ONLY medicine I am aware of that relieves neuropathy pain and it is positively the only safe medicine to relieve fybromialgia pain. Moriph*ne does not even help the fybro pain but, medicinal marijuana does and without any undesireable side effects.
We are a educated and intelligent people, what the f--k is going on with our governments that they withold such a valuable medicinal aide that is not only natural and safe but abundant and can be grown in any home for pennys compared to the high cost of prescription medicines. It is not a bad evil thing and our government here in the usa is only trying to figure out how to monopolize on it so they make it illegal, just like they did with alcoh*l!!!
Good luck and hope you get better!

I have neuropathy and fybromyalgia, both carry extreme burning pain . My toes and feet burn so bad at times I wish I could cut them off
me too. and like you marijuana is what helps me to cope with it. i also have hepatitis c which is eating away at my liver. so taking px drugs for pain would only hasten my departure. i have them but i gotta be almost insane with pain before i take them. and for this we are criminals. i wish you well.

What state are you in? This has really got me pissed and I am pumped right now because of it!
You won't use mmj because you may be arrested? Please write your govenor, senator, you may just be the one who turns the key to stop this B.S. This country is supposed to be so advanced yet the government can't even run some scientific testing to prove once and for all that it is safe and works for a large multitude of ailements, from fybro to glucoma to constipation so it should not be considerd bad because there is absolutely O testing done to prove it bad or good, by our government that is. The legitamately ill patients that use it know it's value as a medicine.
How about looking at this and then you can become active in helping change the laws so you can take your medical marijuana without fear of being arrested or fined or both, not to mention your reputation. You can find help at the Americans for safe access you can find the link by typing into google search. I do not have it in front of me and must leave right now!
Good Luck and we will pray for you,
T & J shamblin
thepothole
mmj caregiver services
&
Advocate motivators!

Back
Top Bottom