Fact Finder: Medical Marijuana In Alabama

Truth Seeker

From this recent episode of NBC's Parenthood... to youtube...

"Hemp Oil Dosage Information" Youtube video, "High quality hemp oil will stop pain even when morphine is not effective."

...to a recent rally in Montgomery in front of the state legislature, medical marijuana is growing in pop culture and in popularity. Those who suffer from chronic pain, swear by it. They say it helps when legal painkillers won't work.

Back in 2011, one time talk show host, Montel Williams gave an emotional testimony before the Los Angeles California City Council about how marijuana has helped him through MS.

Talk Show Host, Montel Williams said in Youtube video, "Every single one of these doctors has recommended to me for me to continue using marijuana because no longer, opiates don't do it."

This Cullman, Alabama man swears by it too.

Medical Marijuana User, Chris Butts said, "At one point I was taking four pain pills, four muscle relaxers and four anti-inflammatory's every day."

Butts is a medical marijuana user. After an on-the-job injury left him with chronic back pain, he chose to leave behind nearly a dozen pills a day for this - marijuana. He doesn't smoke it, but infuses it in butter and bakes it into brownies and cookies.

Butts said, "For the past 14-15 years, I've eaten a brownie as my pain management, or a cookie as my pain management, rather than the narcotics that I'm being prescribed."

Chris is also Co-chair of the Alabama Medical Marijuana Coalition, which recently testified before a health committee in the Alabama legislature.

His organization wants the state to allow for the use of the cannabis plant as a medicine.

Butts said, "This is not something outlandish that we're asking for. We're asking for a medicine back."

Fact: In China as early as 2737 BC, marijuana's sister plant hemp was prescribed to treat malaria, gout, and rheumatism. Early American medical journals touted hemp in the treatment of venereal disease and skin rashes.

Marijuana was used in the treatment of tetanus, rheumatism, and rabies.

It's medical uses changed after the 1936 film "Reefer Madness", some say exaggerated the dangers of marijuana.

Fact: The 1937 Marijuana Act, put a tax on marijuana. Those who didn't pay could be arrested and/or fined. After that act was found to be unconstitutional in 1969, marijuana was added to the Controlled Substance Act in 1970, making it illegal.

We've been told there are some Alabama doctors in favor of medical marijuana, but when we reached out to some, they did not want to go on the record. Those doctors who did want to go on the record, are against medical marijuana, and scoff at the idea there's any science behind treating chronic pain with marijuana. Dothan Anesthesiologist and President-elect of Alabama's Medical Association, Dr. Michael Flanagan, is one of them.

Anesthesiologist, Dr. Michael Flanagan said, "It has been observed that pain relief and effects of marijuana are not consistent in cancer pain or in patient given high doses of cannibinoids, the patient may actually report an increased sensitivity to pain."

And there are also those like Joe Godfrey, Executive Director of Alabama Citizens Action Program or ALCAP, who are opposed to legalized medicinal marijuana on moral grounds, it's addictive qualities and it's possible recreational use.

ALCAP Executive Director Joe Godfrey said, "You're going to see the same thing happen with marijuana. It starts off, we just want it for medicinal purposes, but eventually there's going to be that push to make it more and more available and our greatest concern is with young people and children who become addicted to it. It destroys lives, breaks up homes, just like alcohol."

One of the bi-partisan sponsors of an Alabama bill for medical marijuana, Alabama Representative Patricia Todd, doesn't see it that way.

(D) 54th District, AL Rep. Patricia Todd said, "And so it's frustrating for me, when I deal with people who obviously, one have never used marijuana in their life, so they have no concept of, they think it's like heroin or meth or cocaine and it's not. It's a natural herb that grows naturally"

Currently you can be prosecuted for the possession, sale, and trafficking of marijuana. Jail sentences range from 1 to 20 years depending on the crime and fines up to 200 thousand dollars.

Fact: House Bill 386 protects patients, caregivers and providers from prosecution. It's specific toward 24 diseases or illnesses and requires a doctor's recommendation and a card, indicating the patient is a medical marijuana user.

Chris Butts said his bill doesn't legalize marijuana.

Butts said, "If you don't have the card, the doctor's recommendation, you're going to jail if you get caught with marijuana. This doesn't change that. This is simply for patients."

Butts and his organization were front and center before Alabama lawmakers last legislative session and said it plans to be there again, when it begins February 5th, 2013.

With 26 out of 67 Alabama counties still dry - meaning no alcohol sales - some lawmakers are skeptical about a medical marijuana bill passing in Alabama. But supporters indicate they'll keep trying.

MMJ24.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: alabamas13.com
Author: Linda White
Website: Fact Finder: Medical Marijuana in Alabama | Alabama's 13

Back
Top Bottom